Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Best of Year Reads > The Results: 2014 Bottom of the Barrell

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments 1. Tie: (2 votes)

Black-Eyed Blonde: A Phillip Marlowe Novel -- Benjamin Black

Honorable Mention (1 vote each)

Artist -- Eric Drouant
Blackberry Pie Murder -- Joanne Fluke
Cuckoos Calling -- Robert Galbraith
Death at Victoria Dock -- Kerry Greenwood
Death by Honeymoon -- Jaden Skye.
Death Come Quickly -- Susan Wittig Albert
Double Booked for Death -- Ali Brandon
First Degree Fudge -- Christine DeSmet
Frog Music -- Emma Donoghue
Haunted -- Randy Wayne White
Jason -- Laurell Hamilton
Kind of Cruel -- Sophie Hannah
Malice in Miniature -- Nancy Grace
Missing You -- Harlan Coben
Murder in the Mystery Suite -- Ellery Adams
Prince Lestat -- Anne Rice
Silkworm -- Robert Galbraith
Stay Another Night -- P.S. Meronek
The Bone Season -- Samantha Shannon
The Martian -- Andy Weir
The Submissive -- Tara Sue Me
The Young Elites -- Marie Lu
Until the Night -- Giles Blunt
Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N' Roses -- Stephen Davis

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jan 21, 2015 11:34PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14411 comments This is always a good list to consider when (at the least) deciding whether to spend time on a book or $$. They would lead one to the library at the least for a free test drive. One on this list I hadn't noted before now is The Martian by Andy Weir. It is getting rave reviews on the Audiobooks GR group, I may check it out eventually and see if I agree. It is listed as "different". Perhaps the audio is a better presentation.
Also I loved the two Robert Galbraith books; as they say, your mileage may vary.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Yes, I was interested to see the Galbraith books on here as well, as I liked them well enough. Different strokes for different folks, as Sly Stone said.

Also noted Giles Blunt on here. His Forty Words for Sorrow is a book that still haunts me, but I have not read more of his, perhaps because that book was so potent.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I really hated that PRINCE LESTAT was so bad! I couldn't finish it. Should have listened to Merrilee! On another note, Anne Rice has a Sleeping Beauty book coming out in the spring. Got my fingers crossed on that one. The original Beauty trilogy was some really good erotica! At least, I thought so.....especially compared to FSOG!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7900 comments Melodie wrote: "The original Beauty trilogy was some really good erotica! At least, I thought so.....especially compared to FSOG! ..."

LOL! I think Ann turned me on to the Beauty trilogy, and I keep that buried DEEP in my underwear drawer!

Well, maybe TMI there... {snicker}

I still haven't read FSOG, but the previews of the movie are now in the theaters and it looks really cheesy.

message 6: by Ann (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:53PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14411 comments Hmm, that sounds plausible Carol! I had forgotten (the recommendation, .. not the books. Quite memorable!)
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "LOL! I think Ann turned me on to the Beauty trilogy, and I keep that buried DEEP in my underwear drawer!"
Melodie wrote: "The original Beauty trilogy was some really good erotica! At least, I thought so.....especially compared to FSOG! ...""

message 7: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments TMI is right!