The Books With Looks 📚 discussion

The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
This topic is about The Clockwork Scarab
Book Of The Month > BOTM February 2015 - The Clockwork Scarab

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments BOTM February 2015 is: The Clockwork Scarab The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason

Thanks everyone for voting, I hope you enjoy reading this book! :)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Just bought myself a copy of this.

Tinka | 495 comments Yeah XD Well, I'm obviously reading it haha

message 4: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments I'm seeing if my library has it otherwise I'm going to buy it

Tinka | 495 comments I hope it will be worth it haha Otherwise...my bad. I basically just heard 'Holmes' and 'Steampunk' and wanted it

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments I see, looking forward to ranting at you about just how bad this book is.

message 7: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments Well I'm sure it's going to be much better then one of the books I've finsihed a few days ago, lol

Tinka | 495 comments That bad?

message 9: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments Yeah it was!

Tinka | 495 comments Oh, I'm sorry. It always sucks when you waste your time on a bad book

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments roight, starting this book now.

message 12: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments I've got it coming from the library, I should have it at least in a week.

Tinka | 495 comments Jason wrote: "roight, starting this book now."

Isn't that cheating? To start before Feburary?

message 14: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments It's not even February yet here in Aus and his starting, lol ;)

I've got the book now but will read it after I finsih the book I started yesterday :)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments I finished the two books I was reading early so thought I might as well start this one. I didn't know you were such sticklers for the rules. Jeeeez!!!!

Book is a bit meh! So far, seems quite accurate to the original Sherlock books but nothing seems to have really happened other than Holmes comparing herself to Stoker and going on about how shy she is.

Also I think this is a steampunk novel, my first book from this genre.

Tinka | 495 comments I need to finish Carrie and then I will start it.

I really like Steampunk so I'm looking forward to that aspect

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Is Carrie any good? I'm gonna read that soon as part of the challenge.

Tinka | 495 comments I did like it better than I expected, but Stephen King is still not exactly 'my thing'. Its a bit hard getting used to the style of the book

message 19: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments I'll be finished with my current book probably today, and will either start this late today or tommorrow! yay :)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments It is getting quite interesting now. I don't know how this compares to other steampunk novels though.

There is a few bits of cockney slang in this, I wonder if you guys can understand it.

Tinka | 495 comments I think its pretty interesting that one character is based on another fictional one (Holmes) and the other one on a real person (Stoker). Wouldn't it somehow make more sense to either make Mina a Doyle instead of a Holmes or Evaline a van Helsing?

message 22: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments Starting this book today! I was going to read book #2 of the Shade series but that can wait, I haven't done a BOTM for awhile and this book looks interesting

Tinka | 495 comments I'm in chapter 4 now and I'm really enjoying it so far. It is a fun mystery

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Yeah it is interesting so far, a bit formulaic though.

Tinka | 495 comments The writing is not very...how to say this? Smooth?

message 26: by Ash (last edited Feb 02, 2015 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments @Tinka yeah agree. I was having problems with the writing at the start of the book and I don't understand some of the English slang and words. Like what's a 'Cognog'?

Other then that does Pix remind anyone of a pirate? It's probably just how he talks but still ;p
Oh and I so want one of those Steam Stream guns! Lol anyone else??

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Cognog is not cockney, I think it is a made up swear word. Other words like being a glocky are good old cockney slang.

Tinka | 495 comments Yes! I thought of a pirate too when I first read about Pix. But I have the feeling no one in this book is actually who he seems

message 29: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments Half way through the book now, I should be finish with this either today or tomorrow if I don't get distracted by work and chores.

Do know what I found reading this yesterday, the author wrote the word 'favourite' the American way 'favorite' and I thought it was quite funny as this book is set in England.

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Haha nice spot. Book loses a star for that.

message 31: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments Finished this book last night! It's got a really good ending but the time-travel part I don't like so much because I feel as it doesn't fit into the story that well.

Tinka | 495 comments Just finished it and it was so much fun! I need to discuss Ankh theories now lol
I liked the time travel part. Since this is only the first book in a series, I think Dylan's storyline is a set up for the bigger picture

message 33: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments Wait?! This book is going to turn into a series??? I didn't know that

Tinka | 495 comments The second one is already out that's why I wasn't bothered by some open plot points

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments These sort of books are always part of a series, the steampunk universe is huge and an author can usually drag a series out for a few books. I'm at 70% so should be finished this weekend.

Tinka | 495 comments Just read that the third one will be out in October.

message 37: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments Tinka wrote: "The second one is already out that's why I wasn't bothered by some open plot points"

What's the second book called?

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Book 2

Tinka | 495 comments Its called The Spiritglass Charade

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Finished this now, it was ok, not great though, not sure if I will bother with book 2, will wait until you guys have read it.

Tinka | 495 comments Can we now discuss the Ankh's identity? lol

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Yes. I think it is the princess who has employed Irene to work at the museum. Who do you think it is?

Tinka | 495 comments While reading I thought the whole time Mina was wrong about the gender and it would turn out to be Greyling to be honest.

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments Nah, both of them were in the same room at the end.

Tinka | 495 comments Still, right until this moment he was my main suspect.

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments I felt that Dylan's character was pretty pointless, he didn't really bring anything to the story.

Tinka | 495 comments I think Dylan is just a set up for the next books. I liked him, but to an extent I agree, he wasn't necessary for the plot, even though I liked his involvement in the big finale

Jason (jasondenness) | 1426 comments He is like Han Solo in Star Wars, I think if he was taken out of the films the outcome would have been the same.

message 49: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (evermorefan) | 1068 comments Tinka wrote: "While reading I thought the whole time Mina was wrong about the gender and it would turn out to be Greyling to be honest."

I don't think it can be Grayling, like Jason said the two were in the same room.

@Jason I agree! Dylan was more like a fill in character which wasn't really needed

Tinka | 495 comments They were only in the same room in the very end and I meant before that. Also, time travel is possible who know what else is ;)

« previous 1