Start by marking “The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)

The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  4,723 Ratings  ·  1,017 Reviews
Evaline Stoker and Mina Holmes never meant to get into the family business. But when you’re the sister of Bram and the niece of Sherlock, vampire hunting and mystery solving are in your blood. And when two society girls go missing, there’s no one more qualified to investigate.

Now fierce Evaline and logical Mina must resolve their rivalry, navigate the advances of not just
Published September 17th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published August 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Scarab, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenn I think it's left to the reader's imagination on purpose. I assumed she had been at least physically assaulted because of all of the bruises.
Anita There are no sex scenes, no bad language in this book. Some blushing yes, sex no.

Khanh (the meanie)
"Miss Holmes. Miss Stoker. There are many young men your age who are called into the service of their country. Who risk life and limb for their queen, their countrymen, and the Empire. Tonight, I ask, on behalf of Her Royal Highness, the Princess of Wales: will you do what no other young women are called to do, and place your lives and honor at the feet of your country?”
This book, while by no means perfect, was just a lot of fun. It is mostly plot-driven, without much character development n
Ariel
Oct 10, 2014 Ariel rated it liked it
This was super fun! The best aspect, by far, was that we were playing with some fascinating characters: the niece of Sherlock Holmes and the sister of Bram Stoker! It was neat to see what the author chose to do with the characters. I also really enjoyed the setting: I've barely read stamp punk, and this was a cool foray into the genre!

As for negatives, I'd say that I really didn't feel chemistry between the main leads and the plot was pretty simplistic.

Review coming to YouTube soon!
Jacob Proffitt
At first, I thought I was going to like this a whole lot better than I did. Indeed, for most of the book, I enjoyed it well-enough. Two heroines, strong in very different ways, learning to work together to fight crime, unmask villains, and solve mysteries.

Unfortunately, some elements of the book enter from left field. (view spoiler)
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Sherlock Holmes, Time Travel, Steampunk.

So this was a bit of a surprise for me. For one, it absolutely flew by. It ended and I was actually surprised because despite everything wrapping up quite nicely, I was prepared for more.

Jayne Entwistle does a fabulous job of reading this. The next book in the series is on my audible wishlist and so are a few of her other readings.

I liked the distinct voices. Even if I wasn't paying attention to the beginning of the chapter, where it told you who
Regan
Sep 18, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS A REVIEW WILL COME LATER PEOPLE
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
Read for the Summer Biannual Bibliothon 2016

Actual rating: 3.5

First; love the setting, love the steampunk, love the fact that it feels like one of my own fanfictions. I seriously had to double check that Colleen Gleason was not me in disguise, because there were so many elements of this story that I tend to use when I write fanfics, such as the (view spoiler), whichever it turns out to be. Although, I've never written steampunk, at le
Ferdy
Spoilers

This wasn't as good as Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles (which I loved), but it was still a fun read.

-Clockwork Scarab was essentially a run-of-the-mill murder mystery with steampunk elements, plucky heroines, and not-so-great love triangles. There were some parts that dragged and some aspects that were a tad over the top… like the secret Egyptian cults, the cartoonish bad guys, and the random time travel arc, it was a bit much.

-I don't usually like dual POV's but it worked quite we
Mara
Sep 04, 2013 Mara rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, never-in-my-life
Review found at Girls in Capes: http://girlsincapes.com/2013/09/06/cl...

The Clockwork Scarab is the first book in The Stoker and Holmes series by Colleen Gleason. It features Mina Holmes, niece to Sherlock Holmes, and Evaline Stoker, sister to Bram Stoker. Both girls are called to investigate two murders and a disappearance of high society young girls in Victorian London. Why are they called? Because Miss Holmes follows in the footsteps of her uncle and Miss Stoker is a vampire hunter; together,
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
I'm afraid that Colleen Gleason was trying just too hard with this book. The Clockwork Scarab was Gleason's first venture into YA and it seems that she wanted to put in all her great ideas for YA but it didn't work out that well. The Clockwork Scarab is a bookish chimera; with vampires, Sherlock, steampunk, time travelers, and cults centered on ancient Egyptian goddesses.

Most of the aspects blended fairly well, except for the time traveling. It felt like it was slapped in because it had no real
Athena Shardbearer

"Miss Alvermina Holmes, Niece of the famous Sherlock and daughter of the indispensable Sir Mycroft Holmes."

"Miss Evaline Stoker, granddaughter of the famous Yancey Gardella Stoker, great-grandniece of Victoria Gardella-both vampire hunters of excellent repute. Her elder brother, Bram happened to be an acquantance of my uncles, and I understood Mr. Stoker was writing a novel about a vampire name Count Dracula."

Oh, I really enjoyed this one. I think this is fluff read but at its best. I have thi
Mariana
Jan 17, 2016 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasia, mystery
Al leer la sinopsis de esta historia, lo primero que llamó mi atencón fue el hecho de que la autora uniera los linajes de Sherlock Holmes (personaje ficticio creado por Conan Doyle) con el de Stoker (escritor irlandés, autor de Drácula).

Me sorprendió más aún que fueran chicas adolescentes las que protagonizan esta historia y que todo estuviera situado en un Londres steampunk. Hasta aquí, todo suena como un combo ganador.

Reseña completa: https://vikingalectora.wordpress.com/...
Teresa
WOW!!! I really don't know where to start here. This book was one of those perfect reads...escapism at its very best. Its a page turner, and its one of those books that make me feel as though I could become a mystery fan after all. The juxtaposition of chapters (Gleason writes one chapter from Ms. Holmes' viewpoint, and another as Stoker's, back and forth as needed for the story to rip along) is absolutely stunning. I found myself reliving my youth, curled up with this book on a cold winter's ni ...more
AH
Steampunk continues to intrigue me. I see it as kind of like a puzzle – taking everyday items and imagining how they would work if they were powered by steam. I’m so impressed by authors’ creativity and how these contraptions are incorporated into their narrative so seamlessly so that the steampunk gadgets are part of the world, not just as last minute accessories.

In The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason, the author combines an enthralling steampunk London with Egyptian mythology, a touch of
Katja Weinert
Jun 05, 2013 Katja Weinert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Thoughts:

How can I resist picking up the advance reader copy with such a blurb?! Have to discover how on earth steampunk, Egyptian mythology and time travel might mix.

Plot

A murder and a disappearance suggest that young, wealthy women in London are in danger, and no-one knows why, the only clue being a scarab - the Queen wants answers and no-one's likely to suspect young ladies of sleuthing. Irene Adler who once came up against Sherlock Holmes - and was deemed by him to be a very intellige
Beth
To put it simply, this book was a perfect fit for me it had steampunk, science fiction, paranormal, classic book crossover characters, ancient gods, time travel and 2 very strong female protagonists...all a win, win for me. I am very happy to say I was NOT disappointed by my high expectations.

Miss Holmes and Miss Stoker (yes, Sherlock's niece and Bram's sister) are an unlikely duo called upon by the Princess of England to unravel the murders of young society women. The corresponding clue to all
Rowan
Jan 11, 2015 Rowan rated it liked it
Review also posted on Rowan Reads and Raves

You know, you’d never think that two teenage girls, one related to Bram Stoker from Dracula, the other related to Sherlock Holmes, could ever manage to work together to solve mysteries and save the day. And you’d be pretty much right. These two ladies definitely did not like each other and were not above making sure the other one knew it.

First we have Alvermina Holmes, who unsurprisingly goes by Mina, a young lady who was abandoned by her mother, lives
Malia
Sep 01, 2014 Malia rated it liked it

THE CLOCKWORK SCARAB is a mixture of steampunk history, mystery and adventure. This sounded like a very promising premise, especially with the intriguing idea of introducing Sherlock Holmes' niece and Bram Stoker's sister as the heroines. However, maybe this was just too tall an order, because the book never really managed to arrive where I hoped it would. The protagonists' rapport seemed too contrived, the friendship not solid, the romances very predictable, and the ending unfortunately, unsati
Olga Godim
Dec 13, 2014 Olga Godim rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
An average YA book. To tell the truth, I expected much more from it than it delivered. The story is interesting though: a murder mystery (kind of) set in an alternative London circa 1889 in a steampunk-ish milieu. There are murdered girls there, a secret Egyptian cult, time travels, and two intrepid heroines. Well, not very intrepid but a little bit for certain.
The protagonists are two teenage girls: Mina Holmes, a niece of Sherlock Holmes, and Evaline Stoker, a younger half-sister of Bram Stok
Zachary Roner
Sep 24, 2013 Zachary Roner rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I won the ARC and so I felt compelled to review it even if this isn't the place where it was won.

I guess I came into this one expecting the wrong thing. I love Sherlock Holmes and I love books with Supernatural elements so I was kind of excited, but sadly I wasn't given what I sought. What I was given instead were two young women who think entirely too much about how close they are to a man rather than how they can work together.

Mina is a Holmes and has been gifted with the same abilities as her
Nicole *BookWyrm*
Jun 27, 2015 Nicole *BookWyrm* rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cool-cover
What do you get when you combine steampunk, mystery, vampires, and time travel? This book, of course! The many different elements may seem clumsy, but I thought Gleason pulled it off wonderfully. I was a bit unsatisfied that the time-travel part wasn't further explained and the other characters just somehow automatically accepted that Dylan was from the future, but I know there is a second book in which I hope it will be further explored.

I loved the writing style. So often I find in YA, that yea
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
You know, I was seriously questioning my decision to take a copy of the third book in this series from BEA. I mean I’d only read the first book, and I was sort of eh on it anyway. Nonetheless, since I took it, I decided to reread The Clockwork Scarab before embarking on the series.

The first time, I listened to the audiobook, because it was one of the nominees for the Audies. I was not impressed. You see, The Clockwork Scarab has dual female narration by Miss Stoker and Miss Holmes, but the audio
Sophi
Nov 05, 2014 Sophi rated it did not like it
What was this book? It seemed like the author was just taking every modern teenage book plot and mashing them all together into a less than pretty sculpture of undefined mess.
There was steampunk, there was mystery, there was Sherlock Holmes, there were vampires, there was time travel. And all this left me thinking: WTF?!
First of all, the characters. The POV switches between the two main characters, Mina Holmes and Evaline Stoker. They literally sound almost exactly alike except Mina won't shut u
Shelley
*Genre* YA, Steampunk
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

To say that I am a fan of Colleen Gleason's writing would be an understatement. I loved her Gardella Vampire Chronicles series that features Victoria Gardella, Max Pesaro, and Sebastian Vioget. I have also read her new spin-off series featuring Macey Gardella that is set in the US during the 1920's. I really would love to hear from the author in regards to the familial ties aspect that has me slightly confused. Maybe she can draw a family tree star
Belinda G
DNF 50%

I couldn't finish this, which is such a pity. I was totally willing to suspend my disbelief that the sister of Bram Stoker and the daughter of Mycroft Holmes (who is obviously purely fictional) could possibly team up in a steampunk London. It isn't even explained (up to the 50% mark) how this team could even exist.

It felt like there were too many aspects being thrown in.. so far:
-murder mystery
-Sherlock/Mycroft Holmes + Bram Stoker relatives+ Irene Adler
-vampire hunting
-time travel
-insta-
Aimee Meester
Apr 29, 2015 Aimee Meester rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, meh, steampunk, fluff
So. Many. Mixed feelings.

Now, I write YA steampunk mystery, so I was super interested in reading this one! I've never found anything like it before. However, it kind of fell flat for me. *sad face*

Things I Didn't like

1. The writing. It might just be a personal thing, but it really didn't work for me - it felt like the author was working really hard to sound like it was 19th century style writing in first person, and all it came across was awkward. There was a lot of passive writing and so muc
Noelia Alonso
Jan 11, 2016 Noelia Alonso rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
One of my main resolutions for 2016 is to accept that if I'm not enjoying a book, then it is also okay to not finish it and let go. I don't like to DNF because what if the book gets better? but I've noticed that during the last two years or so every time I forced myself to finish a book, I got into a weird reading mood afterwards.

Sadly, this will be a DNF for me. I thought the idea of the story was gonna be amazing. I mean, the niece of Sherlock Holmes and the sister of Bram Stoker together? Ye
Patsy
Oct 10, 2014 Patsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: rewiew-short

Date Read: January 2016
This is my 1st time reading it.
Rating: 3.5 stars.
Review:

There wasn't anything bad about this but there wasn't anything exceptionally good either. It was a very fun read, it read like a children's book but had some subject mature that was too mature for children. The setting and world building were really great, the characters were all likable and interesting, and the plot was cool too. I really enjoyed the references to the famous stories in this book, I thought I was
Alicia
Jun 09, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy. crap. Loved it! As with all of Ms. Gleeson' s novels I absolutely devoured this story. It actually went by too fast, and I'm sure there is criticism to be found somewhere there, but it was just too freakin fun to not totally love.

Also, I adored how Mina narrated in a similar fashion to Sherlock Holms. Siuch fun to read. And the descriptions of those steampunk outfits? I die.

Oh! And I did NOT see the tie in to the Gardella vampire slayer series coming but zomg I loved it!!!! I have a feeli
isabelle
Oct 12, 2014 isabelle marked it as to-read
Just look at my tags and you'll understand.
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 30, 2013 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was a really fun mystery, set in London in the 1800s. There were unique characters, an engaging plot, cute romance, and Egyptian mythology.

Opening Sentence: There are a limited number of excuses for a young, intelligent woman of seventeen to be traversing the fog-shrouded streets of London at midnight.

The Review:

Mina Holmes and Evaline Stoker have been asked to investigate the murder of two young women, and also another missing girl.
London: Update 1 1 3 Jul 14, 2016 10:33PM
You'll love this ...: The Clockwork Scarab 121 38 May 12, 2016 09:19PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 26, 2015 11:30AM
The books with looks: BOTM February 2015 - The Clockwork Scarab 56 16 Feb 09, 2015 03:39PM
Steampunk, New We...: The Clockwork Scarab By Colleen Gleason 52 51 Oct 05, 2014 06:59PM
  • A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair, #1)
  • His Clockwork Canary (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #2)
  • A Conspiracy of Alchemists (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire #1)
  • God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #1)
  • The League of Seven (The League of Seven, #1)
  • A Wounded Name
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • Extracted (The Lost Imperials, #1)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
Award-winning, NEW YORK TIMES and USA Today bestselling author Colleen Gleason has written more than twenty books for major publishers such as Penguin Group, Harlequin Enterprises, Chronicle Books, and HarperCollins (as Joss Ware). Her books have been translated into seven different languages.

Colleen lives in the Midwest United States where she is fortunate enough to be working on her next book.

S
More about Colleen Gleason...

Stoker & Holmes (5 books)
  • The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2)
  • The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)
  • The Carnelian Crow (Stoker & Holmes, #4)
  • Untitled (Stoker & Holmes, #5)

“Hello, Miss Adler. Irene Adler. Wow," he said, his voice hushed. "This is so weird.” 0 likes