Start by marking “The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)

The Clockwork Scarab

(Stoker & Holmes #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  5,929 ratings  ·  1,162 reviews
Evaline Stoker and Mina Holmes never meant to get into the family business. But when you’re the sister of Bram and the niece of Sherlock, vampire hunting and mystery solving are in your blood. And when two society girls go missing, there’s no one more qualified to investigate.

Now fierce Evaline and logical Mina must resolve their rivalry, navigate the advances of not just
Published September 17th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published August 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Scarab, please sign up.
Anita There are no sex scenes, no bad language in this book. Some blushing yes, sex no.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenn I think it's left to the reader's imagination on purpose. I assumed she had been at least physically assaulted because of all of the bruises.

·  5,929 ratings  ·  1,162 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
"Miss Holmes. Miss Stoker. There are many young men your age who are called into the service of their country. Who risk life and limb for their queen, their countrymen, and the Empire. Tonight, I ask, on behalf of Her Royal Highness, the Princess of Wales: will you do what no other young women are called to do, and place your lives and honor at the feet of your country?”
This book, while by no means perfect, was just a lot of fun. It is mostly plot-driven, without much character development n
Ariel
Oct 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This was super fun! The best aspect, by far, was that we were playing with some fascinating characters: the niece of Sherlock Holmes and the sister of Bram Stoker! It was neat to see what the author chose to do with the characters. I also really enjoyed the setting: I've barely read stamp punk, and this was a cool foray into the genre!

As for negatives, I'd say that I really didn't feel chemistry between the main leads and the plot was pretty simplistic.

Review coming to YouTube soon!
Jacob Proffitt
At first, I thought I was going to like this a whole lot better than I did. Indeed, for most of the book, I enjoyed it well-enough. Two heroines, strong in very different ways, learning to work together to fight crime, unmask villains, and solve mysteries.

Unfortunately, some elements of the book enter from left field. (view spoiler)
Regan
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS A REVIEW WILL COME LATER PEOPLE
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Sherlock Holmes, Time Travel, Steampunk.

So this was a bit of a surprise for me. For one, it absolutely flew by. It ended and I was actually surprised because despite everything wrapping up quite nicely, I was prepared for more.

Jayne Entwistle does a fabulous job of reading this. The next book in the series is on my audible wishlist and so are a few of her other readings.

I liked the distinct voices. Even if I wasn't paying attention to the beginning of the chapter, where it told you who
Wanda
Something a little different for my real-life book club—a steampunk novel. A perfect, light little book for reading during the heat of August, when who really wants to exert themselves too much?

It’s a young adult novel, but it’s charm is dependent on the reader having some familiarity with Sherlock Holmes and Bram Stoker. The stars of this show are Mina Holmes (Sherlock’s niece) and Evalina Stoker (Bram’s much younger sister). Each of them are talented in their own rights, Mina as a thinker and
Emma
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable enough YA romp through steampunk London. There wasn't anything terribly original about the plot or characters but I enjoyed this version of London with its different levels and it's steam streamers and various other devices and where electricity is illegal. I don't think I'm likely to continue the series though.
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
Read for the Summer Biannual Bibliothon 2016

Actual rating: 3.5

First; love the setting, love the steampunk, love the fact that it feels like one of my own fanfictions. I seriously had to double check that Colleen Gleason was not me in disguise, because there were so many elements of this story that I tend to use when I write fanfics, such as the (view spoiler), whichever it turns out to be. Although, I've never written steampunk, at le
Ferdy
Spoilers

This wasn't as good as Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles (which I loved), but it was still a fun read.

-Clockwork Scarab was essentially a run-of-the-mill murder mystery with steampunk elements, plucky heroines, and not-so-great love triangles. There were some parts that dragged and some aspects that were a tad over the top… like the secret Egyptian cults, the cartoonish bad guys, and the random time travel arc, it was a bit much.

-I don't usually like dual POV's but it worked quite we
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
I'm afraid that Colleen Gleason was trying just too hard with this book. The Clockwork Scarab was Gleason's first venture into YA and it seems that she wanted to put in all her great ideas for YA but it didn't work out that well. The Clockwork Scarab is a bookish chimera; with vampires, Sherlock, steampunk, time travelers, and cults centered on ancient Egyptian goddesses.

Most of the aspects blended fairly well, except for the time traveling. It felt like it was slapped in because it had no real
Sophi
Nov 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
What was this book? It seemed like the author was just taking every modern teenage book plot and mashing them all together into a less than pretty sculpture of undefined mess.
There was steampunk, there was mystery, there was Sherlock Holmes, there were vampires, there was time travel. And all this left me thinking: WTF?!
First of all, the characters. The POV switches between the two main characters, Mina Holmes and Evaline Stoker. They literally sound almost exactly alike except Mina won't shut u
Mary ♥
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mariana
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasia
Al leer la sinopsis de esta historia, lo primero que llamó mi atencón fue el hecho de que la autora uniera los linajes de Sherlock Holmes (personaje ficticio creado por Conan Doyle) con el de Stoker (escritor irlandés, autor de Drácula).

Me sorprendió más aún que fueran chicas adolescentes las que protagonizan esta historia y que todo estuviera situado en un Londres steampunk. Hasta aquí, todo suena como un combo ganador.

Reseña completa: https://vikingalectora.wordpress.com/...
Athena Shardbearer

"Miss Alvermina Holmes, Niece of the famous Sherlock and daughter of the indispensable Sir Mycroft Holmes."

"Miss Evaline Stoker, granddaughter of the famous Yancey Gardella Stoker, great-grandniece of Victoria Gardella-both vampire hunters of excellent repute. Her elder brother, Bram happened to be an acquantance of my uncles, and I understood Mr. Stoker was writing a novel about a vampire name Count Dracula."

Oh, I really enjoyed this one. I think this is fluff read but at its best. I have thi
Teresa
WOW!!! I really don't know where to start here. This book was one of those perfect reads...escapism at its very best. Its a page turner, and its one of those books that make me feel as though I could become a mystery fan after all. The juxtaposition of chapters (Gleason writes one chapter from Ms. Holmes' viewpoint, and another as Stoker's, back and forth as needed for the story to rip along) is absolutely stunning. I found myself reliving my youth, curled up with this book on a cold winter's ni ...more
AH
Steampunk continues to intrigue me. I see it as kind of like a puzzle – taking everyday items and imagining how they would work if they were powered by steam. I’m so impressed by authors’ creativity and how these contraptions are incorporated into their narrative so seamlessly so that the steampunk gadgets are part of the world, not just as last minute accessories.

In The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason, the author combines an enthralling steampunk London with Egyptian mythology, a touch of
Katja Weinert
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Thoughts:

How can I resist picking up the advance reader copy with such a blurb?! Have to discover how on earth steampunk, Egyptian mythology and time travel might mix.

Plot

A murder and a disappearance suggest that young, wealthy women in London are in danger, and no-one knows why, the only clue being a scarab - the Queen wants answers and no-one's likely to suspect young ladies of sleuthing. Irene Adler who once came up against Sherlock Holmes - and was deemed by him to be a very intellige
Beth
To put it simply, this book was a perfect fit for me it had steampunk, science fiction, paranormal, classic book crossover characters, ancient gods, time travel and 2 very strong female protagonists...all a win, win for me. I am very happy to say I was NOT disappointed by my high expectations.

Miss Holmes and Miss Stoker (yes, Sherlock's niece and Bram's sister) are an unlikely duo called upon by the Princess of England to unravel the murders of young society women. The corresponding clue to all
Rowan
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Review also posted on Rowan Reads and Raves

You know, you’d never think that two teenage girls, one related to Bram Stoker from Dracula, the other related to Sherlock Holmes, could ever manage to work together to solve mysteries and save the day. And you’d be pretty much right. These two ladies definitely did not like each other and were not above making sure the other one knew it.

First we have Alvermina Holmes, who unsurprisingly goes by Mina, a young lady who was abandoned by her mother, lives
Rissa
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook-as-of-2018
The clockwork scarab
We follow Sherlock Holmes niece and she is almost as wonderful as the real Sherlock.
Beth
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, was-free
Interesting location. I do wish they did the full Scooby doo and unmasked the villain.
I started to suspect Irene but why involve the girls if so?
Malia
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
THE CLOCKWORK SCARAB is a mixture of steampunk history, mystery and adventure. This sounded like a very promising premise, especially with the intriguing idea of introducing Sherlock Holmes' niece and Bram Stoker's sister as the heroines. However, maybe this was just too tall an order, because the book never really managed to arrive where I hoped it would. The protagonists' rapport seemed too contrived, the friendship not solid, the romances very predictable, and the ending unfortunately, unsati ...more
Milou
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story is set in 1889 London. A steam punk version of it at least, where motorcycles and guns can run on steam and electricity is forbidden. Mina Holmes and Evaline Stoker are asked by Irene Adler (The Woman) to serve the crown and find out where the society girls have gone. This brings them to a mysterious (feminist) group lead by the Ankh. A group of girls who don’t want to have to be chaperoned and always look pretty to be married off to some rich man. Who want adventure and be with the g ...more
Olga Godim
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
An average YA book. To tell the truth, I expected much more from it than it delivered. The story is interesting though: a murder mystery (kind of) set in an alternative London circa 1889 in a steampunk-ish milieu. There are murdered girls there, a secret Egyptian cult, time travels, and two intrepid heroines. Well, not very intrepid but a little bit for certain.
The protagonists are two teenage girls: Mina Holmes, a niece of Sherlock Holmes, and Evaline Stoker, a younger half-sister of Bram Stok
Zachary Roner
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I won the ARC and so I felt compelled to review it even if this isn't the place where it was won.

I guess I came into this one expecting the wrong thing. I love Sherlock Holmes and I love books with Supernatural elements so I was kind of excited, but sadly I wasn't given what I sought. What I was given instead were two young women who think entirely too much about how close they are to a man rather than how they can work together.

Mina is a Holmes and has been gifted with the same abilities as her
niki
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you combine steampunk, mystery, vampires, and time travel? This book, of course! The many different elements may seem clumsy, but I thought Gleason pulled it off wonderfully. I was a bit unsatisfied that the time-travel part wasn't further explained and the other characters just somehow automatically accepted that Dylan was from the future, but I know there is a second book in which I hope it will be further explored.

I loved the writing style. So often I find in YA, that yea
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
You know, I was seriously questioning my decision to take a copy of the third book in this series from BEA. I mean I’d only read the first book, and I was sort of eh on it anyway. Nonetheless, since I took it, I decided to reread The Clockwork Scarab before embarking on the series.

The first time, I listened to the audiobook, because it was one of the nominees for the Audies. I was not impressed. You see, The Clockwork Scarab has dual female narration by Miss Stoker and Miss Holmes, but the audio
Shelley
*Genre* YA, Steampunk
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

To say that I am a fan of Colleen Gleason's writing would be an understatement. I loved her Gardella Vampire Chronicles series that features Victoria Gardella, Max Pesaro, and Sebastian Vioget. I have also read her new spin-off series featuring Macey Gardella that is set in the US during the 1920's. I really would love to hear from the author in regards to the familial ties aspect that has me slightly confused. Maybe she can draw a family tree star
Bilbo Baggins
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good! It’s really fun if you enjoy Sherlock type books! Ya know, plot was ok..... I liked the two main characters so yeah. It’s alright
Lolly's Library

I'm sorry, but I have to DNF this book at 44%. The concept sounds great and the book started off with the promise of a whizz-bang steampunk adventure. After all, you've got a novel in which the daughter of Mycroft Holmes and the half-sister of Bram Stoker team up to work alongside Irene Adler. They've been tasked by Princess Alexandra to solve the mystery of who's murdering aristocratic young ladies in an alternate-reality Victorian London. Sounds great. However, we then find out Evalin
Urban Fantasy ser...: May BOTM: THE CLOCKWORK SCARAB by Colleen Gleason 1 6 May 01, 2018 07:21AM
London: Update 1 1 4 Jul 14, 2016 10:33PM
You'll love this ...: The Clockwork Scarab 121 39 May 12, 2016 09:19PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 26, 2015 11:30AM
The books with looks: BOTM February 2015 - The Clockwork Scarab 56 16 Feb 09, 2015 03:39PM
Steampunk, New We...: The Clockwork Scarab By Colleen Gleason 52 53 Oct 05, 2014 06:59PM
  • A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair, #1)
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • His Clockwork Canary (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #2)
  • The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #1)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • Extracted (The Lost Imperials, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum, #1)
  • The League of Seven (The League of Seven, #1)
  • The Incredible Charlotte Sycamore (Charlotte Sycamore, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • Emilie and the Hollow World (Emilie, #1)
Award-winning, NEW YORK TIMES and USA Today bestselling author Colleen Gleason has written more than twenty books for major publishers such as Penguin Group, Harlequin Enterprises, Chronicle Books, and HarperCollins (as Joss Ware). Her books have been translated into seven different languages.

Colleen lives in the Midwest United States where she is fortunate enough to be working on her next book.

S

Stoker & Holmes (5 books)
  • The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2)
  • The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)
  • The Carnelian Crow (Stoker & Holmes, #4)
  • Untitled (Stoker & Holmes, #5)
“Hello, Miss Adler. Irene Adler. Wow," he said, his voice hushed. "This is so weird.” 1 likes