Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
This topic is about The Mark of Athena
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Riordan, Rick - The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus #3) - Informal Buddy Read; Start February 5, 2015

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31138 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Book synopsis:
Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can’t blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close—the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare....

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Yes!

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Cool! Off to finish up The Son of Neptune :)

Jackie | 1920 comments I'm in!

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Awesome! Just got my audio copy from the library

Kristie | 3280 comments I'm not sure if I'll be ready to start feb 5th, but I'll try to jump in too. :)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Ya I'm excited to start this hopefully this afternoon!

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Starting this in a few minutes!! :D

message 11: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 05, 2015 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Shoot I've been listening to the audiobook all day and forgot to listen to the chapters.

I about 33% of the way through already (lots of mindless work today = lots of audio listening).

Right now (view spoiler)

I like that (view spoiler)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Through Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Jackie | 1920 comments Through chapter 5.

(view spoiler)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Through chapter 25

(view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Man, I'm slower than usual. Gotta catch up!

Through Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Through Chapter 17

(view spoiler)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Up through chapter 43

Poor Annabeth. (view spoiler)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Caron - (view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments RebeccaS wrote: "Caron - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Exactly!

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Finished! I couldn't stop listening in the end, it got so dramatic!

(view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Through Chapter 26

(view spoiler)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Caron - (view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments RebeccaS wrote: "Caron - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Finally managed to finish this one.

(view spoiler)

Honestly, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did the other two. I'm hoping for better in The House of Hades. It's a 3/5 for me. I think the fact that I had so many other books and that it took me so long to finish helped with that.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I definitely agree that I thought Annabeth's quest would be more dangerous! The whole time we thought she was going to possibly die and yet she seemed to breeze through.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Would anyone be interested in doing a BR for the next one, The House of Hades

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments I'm currently reading The House of Hades but I'm still in the beginning, maybe 50 pages through, but we can read it together.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Awesome Caron! I just need to finish the audiobook I started, which I should be able to do in the next couple of days.

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments It's no problem. I'll take a break on that one and finish my other reads

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments It's no problem. I'll take a break on that one and finish my other reads

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Ok awesome! I will definitely be ready to start tomorrow. I'me excited to continue the series and hope that this one is better than the last.

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Do you want to make a thread?

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I would be up for reading it. I just finished this one a few days ago. I loved it and the humor was wonderful. I laughed a lot in this one.

message 35: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 11, 2015 11:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan

Ooh I just started and I'm only a minute in, but I like the way it's starting (view spoiler).

I've been listening to this whole series on audiobook, and this one has a different narrator. It's so strange and I don't like him as much (not really much inflection). Hopefully it gets better.

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments I finished through Chapter 12. (view spoiler)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Did you get The House of Hades thread?

message 38: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 11, 2015 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Did you get The House of Hades thread?"

Not yet Tea.

Whoops, just realized I must have accidentally deleted my request.

message 39: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Mar 11, 2015 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments RebeccaS wrote: "❀Tea❀ wrote: "Did you get The House of Hades thread?"

Not yet Tea.

Whoops, just realized I must have accidentally deleted my request."

OK, I'll create it now. :)
The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan --> discussion thread is here

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Thanks!!