What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Whitie the Bunny Whose Wish Came True
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. picture book about a bunny who loves candy [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) | 5 comments My mother had a picture book that I loved when I was a child.

Synopsis: The bunny loved candy. He begged for candy all the time. On his birthday, his mother told him that he could eat nothing but candy all day. Predictably, he got sick and missed his own birthday dinner that evening (all his relatives came, and he was sick in bed in another room while they all ate). The next day, his mom gave him a healthy breakfast with a little piece of candy to eat afterward. He wasn't sure he wanted the candy. His mom told him that a little bit would be nice. Same thing at lunch. By the end, the bunny understood that a little bit of candy is a nice thing, but too much is too much.

When published: My mother was born in 1930, and this was her book. It must have been published prior to 1940, probably before 1935. The papers were not significantly yellow or brittle, if that helps date the book.

Where published: It may have been published by a regional publisher, perhaps in Missouri, Arkansas, or Mississippi.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Charlotte, do you remember if the illustrations were realistic, cartoony, black and white, colorful, etc?

Was it part of a series?

Did the rabbits wear clothes? any other animals in the story?

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) | 5 comments The rabbits wore clothes. No other animals. The illustrations were black line drawings, with red spot color.

I have no idea if it was part of a series or not.

message 4: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1208 comments I think it might be Whitie: The Bunny Whose Wish Came True by Lydia Scott. This book is not on Goodreads, but you can see pictures from inside the book here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whitie-Bunny-...

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) | 5 comments That's it! Oh, my goodness. I have been looking for this book since my mother died 14 years ago. Thank you! Thank you so very much!

(How do I move this thread to Solved?)

message 6: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1208 comments You're very welcome. I'm glad this was the right book.

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I've added the book to goodreads. Soon it should be available for posting it in the threads.

Charlotte (charlotte_riggle) | 5 comments Thanks, Kate! That's really cool.