CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2015 Weekly Threads > Week 3: What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) It's hard to believe we are already closer to the end of January than the beginning. How is the challenge treating everyone so far?

I'm a bit ahead of schedule with 5 books down and 2 in progress. I know I'll get behind at some point in the year so I'm glad to be on a roll right now. Last week I finished One Man Guy and Station Eleven. Both were fantastic, but I highly recommend Station Eleven. It's a post-apocalyptic story about the world after a deadly flu wipes out most of the population.

This week, I'm reading The Princess Bride. At first, I wasn't sure how to feel about it since the author puts in a lot of asides, but as I've gotten further into the book, I have to say I'm really loving it. It's very similar to the movie, which is also a favorite of mine.

Feel free to share what you're reading here.

One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel The Princess Bride  by William Goldman

message 2: by Marleen (last edited Jan 19, 2015 01:33PM) (new)

Marleen Viola | 4 comments I read Steelheart because my daughter wanted to read it and I was weary of it, so I decided to read it first. Well, let me tell you, I finished it pretty quickly and went on to read the other 2 and they are really good. Not anything close to what I usually read. I'm sure they are labeled as "teen" books, but I really enjoyed them! They are set as future books with heros and villians. Very very good read! I think I'm on my 8th book so far this year :o)

Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Mitosis (Reckoners, #1.5) by Brandon Sanderson
Firefight (Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Penn (jenniferpenn) | 41 comments Just finished Lead by Kylie Scott (the Stage Dive series). Not sure what I'm reading next but it will be book 15 for me so far.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 442 comments I finished Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain, she made a powerful case for the need for introverts in a culture that values extroverts so highly. I am currently reading His Majesty's Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal. It's the third in the series, and I would be interested to see where she goes from here. Not sure what to read next maybe the 4th in the Crossfire series (I'll probably reread the first 3 before I do). Now I just need to find an audio book for my long commute.
Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3) by Susan Elia MacNeal Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) by Sylvia Day Entwined with You (Crossfire, #3) by Sylvia Day Captivated by You (Crossfire, #4) by Sylvia Day

message 5: by Rekesha (new)

Rekesha | 45 comments Mod
I'm currently reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I am enjoying the references to 1980s pop culture and the fast pace.

I received my hold for Station Eleven. This one looks interesting, but I may hold off on reading it until I'm finished with Ready Player One.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

message 6: by Jennifer McGee (last edited Jan 20, 2015 12:37PM) (new)

Jennifer McGee I've read 8 books so far. I just finished Comanche Moon, which I loved. I think I'm going to start The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry next.

Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

message 7: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 54 comments Liz wrote: "It's hard to believe we are already closer to the end of January than the beginning. How is the challenge treating everyone so far?

I'm a bit ahead of schedule with 5 books down and 2 in progress...."

I love "The Princess Bride" one of my favorite books. I'm currently reading books 2 & 3, "Harvest Home"by Thomas Tryon & " Robert B Parker's Blind Spot" by Reed Coleman.

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Rekesha wrote: "I received my hold for Station Eleven. This one looks interesting, but I may hold off on reading it until I'm finished with Ready Player One."

I just finished Station Eleven and thought it was pretty great. I hope you get a chance to read it; I'm reviewing it for the CPL Blog right now!

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Vivian wrote: "I love "The Princess Bride" one of my favorite books. "

I'm really enjoying it. I'm about 2/3 through it, and it keeps getting better and better. I'm amazed at how similar it is to the movie, though the movie did take liberties with the "eels."

message 10: by Justine (new)

Justine (jaimelinus0316) Liz wrote: "It's hard to believe we are already closer to the end of January than the beginning. How is the challenge treating everyone so far?

I'm a bit ahead of schedule with 5 books down and 2 in progress...."

I read those the first time I read Princess Bride, but since then, I just skip those parts. :-) It doesn't help that the asides aren't true stories. Kinda deflating.

message 11: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I am on book 9 right now. Currently I am reading 13 hours in Benghazi when I am at home. It started okay, but once the actual event takes place it's hard to put down. Especially since I didn't remember who survived & who didn't.
I've been on a romance kick all of a sudden so that's what I carry around to read while I wait for my children to finish practices.