YA Romance!!! discussion

2020 October Pick-It-For-Me CHALLENGE

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by River 💙, Mod available to do whatever needs done (new)

River 💙 | 166 comments Mod
This amazing explanation is from Becca:
I saw this idea from another group all credit given to Fran from the Romance Readers reading challenges group.

2020 October PIFM Challenge

What is the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?
The Pick-It-For-Me Challenge (PIFM) is a reading challenge where each participant gives and receives book recommendations based on a given set of rules. The assignment method and book selection should change each month so it’s always new and different.

The idea of the PIFM Challenge is that you will get new-to-you books and authors selected for you as well as a push to read some books that have been lingering on your shelves. You may not be be interested in the new books recommended, which is why you also get a minimum of four books from your shelf.

You only have to read ONE book to complete this challenge!
After signups are closed,your names and any extra info will go into the super secret PIFM randomizer and it will select someone for you to recommend books to and someone to give you recommendations. This list will be posted along with any specific picking rules for the month.

In order to participate you need to either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC(preferable), or friend the person giving you recommendations. PLEASE NOTE: if you choose to keep your profile private, it is your responsibility to set a (very important) that your profile be set to receive Private messages(PMs) in case anyone needs to reach out to you. (Mods,organizer etc.)

Everything gets done in this thread so be sure to come back often!!!

Repicks:
You can ask for repicks if:
- The books picked for you are not yet released.
- If you have already read the chosen book(s) and they are on your ‘read’ shelf.
- If you did not receive four picks from your ‘to-read’ shelf, with at least one from your preferred shelf.

You may NOT ask for repicks because:
- A book is not available at your library
- A genre or author you don’t enjoy

INFORMATION NEEDED TO SIGN UP:
Please sign up in this thread if you would like to participate.
*If you have a preferred shelf please list it along with your pick*

IMPORTANT DATES
Signups will remain open until October 12th (8 pm US MT)

You’ll have until October 19th(8 pm US MT) to make your recommendations.

Please do not start reading your book(s) until the 19th. You’ll then have the rest of the month to read your pick(s) and give some feedback. If you’re new please read the PIFM Guidelines and FAQ. If you have any questions that are not addressed there,please feel free to ask!

*Please note that late signups will be included at the host’s discretion and no one will be included after re-picks are assigned!*

TIPS TO MAKE THE CHALLENGE ENJOYABLE FOR EVERYONE!

Pickees
*To help your picker understand the type of books you like or are currently reading, please make sure your ‘read’ shelf is up to date. You can create shelves for books you DNFed(Did not finish) or authors that don’t work for you as well as favourite books, authors, genres, themes or tropes(or themes or tropes you dislike.)
*Please do not specify likes/dislikes in the sign up thread. This information will not be included in the pairings and your pickee may not see your message and does not need to rely on that information when making picks.

Pickers
*Please remember this is primarily a romance readers group. Thus, most, if not all, of your picks should be romance.
There are various sub genres within the romance category- Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Romantic Suspense, Erotica, M/M, Urban Fantasy. If your pickee reads a wide variety, you should add a non-romance as a choice.

*You will be using 8 picking rules to select books for your pickee. Choose at least 4 new titles for your pickee. Those can be brand new to them (not found on any of their shelves) or a book found on their shelves if they’ve never read any of the author’s work previously. The remaining four titles should come from your pickee’s tbr, with a minimum of one from their preferred shelves if provided. Be sure to pick at least one book for each picking rule,but please limit your picks to no more than two books per rule as sometimes having too many options is worse than too few.

*Please remember when you are giving new recommendations, you are not limited to titles you have read. You can choose that are new releases,on your tbr,or titles you looked up on Goodreads or Amazon that you think your pickee would enjoy.

A few hints to help with book selection:
*Check the book’s publishing date. Select “date pub” from the checkbox selections and save.

*Check pickees personalized shelves,especially their exclusive shelves. A personalized shelf is one the member has created. (e.g., ‘to read next’, ‘favourites’, ‘didn’t like’.

*Make sure the books you choose are not in their ‘read’ shelf. Just because it isn’t rated doesn’t mean it wasn’t read.

*Look at your pickee’s ‘read’ shelf and see what genres they have recently read or read the most. Reviewing their ‘read’ shelf might help you in choosing something they are interested in reading right now.

*If your pickee reads lots of books in a genre you are not familiar with (erotic romance, GLBT, YA, etc.) Contact the mods or the month’s organizer for guidance.

*Include a variety of books (e.g., shorter page count, new addition to their top read shelf’, an older book on their ‘to read’ shelf) This variety gives your pickee options when choosing the book or books they will be reading this month. Use the sort feature within their shelves to determine date a book was added, published or read;page numbers,ratings,etc.

If you want to volunteer to make repicks:
*We love that you want to help out, but please remember those who need picks have waiting for a long time already. Please only volunteer if you are able to make the repicks within hours of the deadline. Thank you!
~Brooke

message 2: by ~tea~ (new)

~tea~ (tina_does) I'd like to sign-up!

✨Girly Books✨ (girlybooks123) | 4 comments I'll sign up!!

message 5: by River 💙, Mod available to do whatever needs done (new)

Great!!!!

message 6: by River 💙, Mod available to do whatever needs done (new)

Pairs will be out as well as the picking rules in a few hours!

message 7: by River 💙, Mod available to do whatever needs done (new)

Sorry y’all this is so late but here’s the info you shall need:
Contemporary
Recommend a book that either:
❤️is labeled Contemporary or..
❤️has two people on the cover
❤️has a surprise pregnancy or pretend relationship storyline

Historical
Recommend a book either:
🧡is labeled historical or...
🧡has just a woman on the cover
🧡has a second chance storyline

Paranormal
💛is labeled paranormal, fantasy, or science fiction or...
💛has an animal on the cover or in the story
💛has a creative or artistic cover (in your opinion)

Suspense
💚is labeled suspense or...
💚has a character with secrets
💚has a red or blue cover

Inspirational
💙is labeled Inspirational or..
💙has a religious theme
💙has a cover with pastel colours
💙has a sweet or wholesome character

Just your typical cheesy romance
💜is cheesy as heck or...
💜has love at first sight
💜has a marriage proposal

Sad romance
🖤has a tragedy happen or...
🖤has a really really hard breakup
🖤has someone dealing with a mental illness

Action
🤍has a major plot twist or...
🤍has someone fighting for their loved one
🤍has one of the lovers kidnapped and has to be saved

Carrie➡️Tina
Tina➡️Carrie
Girly Books➡️Brooke
Brooke➡️Girly Books

message 8: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 25 comments Hi Tina, I hope you find something you like.
Contemporary
TBR: Turtles All the Way Down by John Green Turtles All the Way Down(Contemporary)
New: Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill Meant to Be(two people on the cover)

Historical
TBR: The Hate U Give (The Hate U Give, #1) by Angie Thomas The Hate U Give ( woman on the cover)
New: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein Code Name Verity (historical)

Paranormal
TBR: The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter The Tale of Peter Rabbit(animal on cover)
New: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1) by Patricia C. Wrede Dealing with Dragons(fantasy)

Suspense
TBR: The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan The Eye of the World(blue cover)
New: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (secrets)

Inspirational
TBR: I Love You So Mochi by Sarah Kuhn I Love You So Mochi(pastel colors)
New: Kitchen Princess Omnibus, Vol. 1 (Kitchen Princess, #1-2) by Natsumi Andō Kitchen Princess Omnibus, Vol. 1 or just the first volume if you can't get the omnibus (sweet character)

Just your typical cheesy romance
TBR: Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Twilight (cheesy romance)
New: Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover Slammed (insta love)

Sad romance
TBR: The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver The Two Lives of Lydia Bird (tragedy)
New: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac(mental illness)

Action
TBR: The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw The Wicked Deep (fighting for loved one)
New: The Magic Thief (Magic Thief, #1) by Sarah Prineas The Magic Thief (plot twist)

Happy Reading

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 25 comments Might I make a suggestion for this challenge? Can we make the parings earlier in the month? Because leaving it until the 19 at the latest date to give recommendations really leaves no time for people to get books if they have to go to the library and to read them. Then what if someone doesn't get picks then they have to wait for repicks and well then there is the chance of only have a week to read one of them. By that time most people if they make tbrs will have what they want to read for the month all planed.

We could do sign ups for each month be at the end of the month for the next month. So last week, be sign up period for the next month, give the first week for picking. Or 2nd last week sign up and in the last week picking the books. So that people have the full month to find and read said books.

message 10: by River 💙, Mod available to do whatever needs done (new)

Carrie, I just would like to tell you that usually Becca is in charge of this challenge but because of some personal issues she didn’t want to run the challenges so Tina and I were put in charge and we weren’t aware of this information till 10 days ago aka October 6th. Then I needed to pull together the needed information for this month’s challenge so it could be made possible so typically yes it would be nice and would be out earlier but unfortunately this month it just could not happen

message 11: by Carrie (last edited Oct 16, 2020 12:45PM) (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 25 comments Brooke, oh that is totally understandable. I hope Becca's doing alright with what ever it is.

message 12: by River 💙, Mod available to do whatever needs done (new)

Thank you for understanding I didn’t expect to be in charge this month clearly so that’s why it’s late and yeah I hope Becca is alright too

message 13: by ~tea~ (new)

~tea~ (tina_does) Here’s your picks Carrie!
Pick it for me

Red heart:

For the killing of kings (has two ppl on the cover

Orange heart:

The will of the wilds (has a women on the cover

Yellow heart:

Race to the sun (has an animal on the cover

Green heart:

House of Earth and Blood (has a red cover

Blue heart:

Bittersweet (has a pastel cover

Purple Heart:

P.S I like you (is cheesy as heck

Black heart:

Where she went (has a character with a mental illness

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 25 comments Thank you Tina

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 25 comments Tina, I finished Bittersweet and I gave it 4 stars, thank you.

message 16: by River 💙, Mod available to do whatever needs done (new)

Good job Carrie!
Heh about mine and girly books she never accepted my friend request so I can’t see her shelve and she never did anything for me so it may just be you and Tina

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 25 comments Brooke or River whichever wrote: "Good job Carrie!
Heh about mine and girly books she never accepted my friend request so I can’t see her shelve and she never did anything for me so it may just be you and Tina"

Oh that's too bad, if it ever happens again. I'm always willing to do repicks for people.

message 18: by River 💙, Mod available to do whatever needs done (new)

Thanks