Rated YA-MA discussion

Reading Challenges > Quarter 4 group challenge: Finish what you started!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Hi Guys Sorry for the delayed start on this one I have been so MIA since March and have so much to catch up on! Hopefully this will jump start a reading routine for me.

We always end the year with my favorite challenge, the shelf-clearing, catch-up and get some closure challenge.
At long last, we get to FINISH WHAT WE STARTED!

Description

This much needed (for me), end-of-the year challenge runs from October 1 through December 31, 2020.

Read books from the following " finally get around to" categories to participate:

♦ One (or more) of any books in a series that you've started but not continued in over 6 months (Prior to 4/1/2020). It can be an ongoing or a completed book series.
♦ One or more of the books that have been on your TBR (To Be Read) Goodreads bookshelf for 6 months or more (Prior to 4/1/2020)
♦ One or more of any book that you've had in your possession for 6 months or more. Physical or ebook, owned or borrowed! (Waiting to be read since 4/1/2020 or earlier). Obviously we'll have to use the honor system for this one. :)
♦ Any book that you previously started, but never finished for some reason (Prior to 4/1/2020) - Feel free to peruse your "put down" folders ;)

The Goal is to read 6 books. Feel free to Mix and Match!

Nitty-Gritty Details:
-No Books with a pub date falling after 4/1/2020
-Books must be more than 150 pages to qualify
-Audio books are allowed
-No more than 3 books from the same series
-No more than 3 newer releases from 2020 will be allowed (must be published prior to 4/1/2020)
-1 non-YA book is allowed (Non-YA = middle grade, New Adult, or Adult).

I'll be keeping track of participants progress (as much as possible) in post #2. Participants will be listed alphabetically by their name and the number on the post made to declare their participation.

When posting your progress, please remember to use the number of that original post as well.

Let’s see how much we can catch up on, readers and feel free to do more than one round if you feel the need to clear those shelves!
TO THE BOOKSTACKS!!

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 2: by Diane (last edited Dec 14, 2020 08:18AM) (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Participants:

Diane - 3/6
Melanie - 4/6

message 3: by Diane (last edited Dec 14, 2020 08:24AM) (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Diane's challenge books - reading any will be a success for me.

This Is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today
This Is Me Loving the Person You Are Today by Chrissy Metz
Starsight (Skyward, #2) by Brandon Sanderson
Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody

message 4: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Oct 03, 2020 01:46PM) (new)

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments This Is Me Loving the Person You Are Today by Chrissy Metz
This book has been on my TBR because I thove the show This is Us and relate to Kate and many of the issues she was dealing with. I am impressed with Crissy Metz and her self confidence and perseverance being an actress of her size. This book was an awesome inspirational read with so much self help and self love advice. It would be good to hear weather you are like my 16 year old daughter that is 115 lbs or me 53 and 195 lbs. It is about being your true self and doing what is right for you in life's many struggles.

message 6: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1208 comments Got my first book!
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
It is an episodic tale, set in ancient China. It was well executed, especially how several seemingly unconnected stories all joined together. This book made me happy and has been on my TBR for years! *4 stars*

Note: I was going to use The Tower of Nero (The Trials of Apollo, #5) by Rick Riordan as my book #1 as it is the last in the series, but it was too recently published.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments It looks like it is just you and me Melanie. Maybe people just need a break. I know it has been hard this year for me to focus on anything. I have actually been doing a lot of podcasts because 30-60 min. is about my speed now.

message 8: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1208 comments I'm kind of over-committed to audio books because I just feel like there's no time for eye-reading. It took me six weeks to read Ignite the Stars. Plus I'm passionately committed to a reading challenge from another group and this time of year, I need to read specific books to finish it :)

I reading/listening and doing my best, which is all the world can ask of me.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Yeah, after doing online school all’s I just can’t enjoy physical reading. Audio is the only way. Audio used to be difficult to focus on since I am such a visual person but now I have the hang of it. My eyes need a rest and my brain needs a bit of escape.

message 10: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Dec 13, 2020 04:53AM) (new)

Melanie | 1208 comments I DO have some books to add. I've just been slow to update. I MIGHT even finish the challenge.

Skyward (Skyward, #1) by Brandon Sanderson
[Book 2] 11/10 Skyward [owned]
I posted my thoughts on the tread in this group already, but It was good and I plan to continue the series. 4 stars

The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl #7) by Eoin Colfer
[Book 3] 11/20 The Atlantis Complex [series]
The Artemis Fowl books are just fun. This was the next in series for me. It wasn't my favorite so far, but I'll still finish the series I am sure. 3 stars

The Royal Ranger The Missing Prince (Ranger's Apprentice Book 4) by John F. Flanagan
[Book 4] 12/9 The Royal Ranger: The Missing Prince [series]
This is the lasted in the Ranger's Apprentice world. The MC is Will's apprentice, Princess Maddie. I like the series. This book ended on a major cliffhanger, so I'm in waiting for the next book to be published. 3.5 stars

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Melanie wrote: "I DO have some books to add. I've just been slow to update. I MIGHT even finish the challenge.

Skyward (Skyward, #1) by Brandon Sanderson
[Book 2] 11/10 Skyward [owned]
I posted my thoughts on t..."

Great job. I have been slow to update also - I will have to enter several books into GR too.

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments I read the second in the Skyward series Starsight (Skyward, #2) by Brandon Sanderson and liked it very much. You learn a lot more about why the humans are where they are and the other Aliens involved. Also I read Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody and again I liked it very much - I would definitely read the next in the series.

message 13: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Dec 26, 2020 04:49PM) (new)

Melanie | 1208 comments Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1) by Susan Dennard
[book 5] 12/21 Truthwitch [TBR]

reading A Million Worlds with You now to finish this challenge :

message 14: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1208 comments Next Quarterly Challenge is now posted: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 15: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1208 comments [book 6] 12/29 A Million Worlds with You [series]
A Million Worlds with You (Firebird, #3) by Claudia Gray
Finally finished this trilogy. It was definitely the best in the series, so I'm glad I did. I also actually finished this challenge!!!!