The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
This topic is about Bone Crier's Moon
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
★Buddy/Group Read Retirement★ > Bone Crier's Moon (October 2020) Buddy Read Discussion ~ Darce & Mina & Shorouk & Cat & Michelle & Bopeep

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (last edited Oct 17, 2020 12:43AM) (new) - added it

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 1118 comments Mod
Welcome to the Bone Crier's Moon Buddy Read Discussion thread! This thread officially opens on October 8th and anyone can join at any time. Please keep in mind that spoilers are allowed in this thread but only up to the group's current reading place. Do not spoil the book if you've read further than the group. Any extra days can be used to catch up!

Each day we will be reading by chapters or page numbers. Page numbers are an approximation based on the hardcover or paperback that is the default on Goodreads. The suggested Buddy Read discussion schedule is as follows:

Week of 10/08
Oct 08: Chapter 1-7
Oct 09: Chapter 8-14
Oct 10: Chapter 15-21

Week of 10/11
Oct 11: Chapter 22-28
Oct 12: Chapter 29-35
Oct 13: Chapter 36-42
Oct 14: Chapter 43-49
Oct 15: Chapter 50-55

PARTICIPANTS
~ Darce
~ Mina
~ Shorouk
~ Cat
~ Michelle
~ Bopeep

message 2: by Cat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cat | Bookocraze (bookocraze) | 181 comments I'd love to join the buddy read! :)

Michelle (shelbrenn) | 266 comments Id love to join in also.

Darcey | 369 comments Welcome to both of you! Can’t wait to read this :))

Darcey | 369 comments can't wait to start this tomorrow ;)

Darcey | 369 comments ok it's the 8th for me and i've read the first 7 chapters! (i actually read the first 9 because i couldn't stop but i'll only talk about the first 7 ahah). anyway this seems like a really cool story so far! i love the bone criers and the way they draw magic from bones, and it's interesting that they ferry the dead. i'm not sure on the characters yet, Bastien seems decent but he needs more of a personality than just brute rage, and i like Sabine, but i'm not sure on Ailesse yet. and the romance will have to be done well or i'll get pissy ahah.
still, i like it so far!

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 726 comments I didn't know if I would join this buddy read, but as long as I finished Star Daughter yesterday, I'm in!
I have 0 expectations and low motivation about this book, and with your comment, Darce, it reminds me a lot of The merciful crow.

Let's hope the romance is well done 🤞

message 8: by Cat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cat | Bookocraze (bookocraze) | 181 comments Darce, it happened to me as well, I couldn't stop in Chapter 7 so I kept going, hehe!

A very powerful and unexpected start, although I'm not sure where the story is headed (I never read the blurb before going into the read, so I'm in the dark, hihi).

message 9: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
So I too read more than in the plan :D I just finished chapter 10, and I'm going to read more because it's easy to read and it's quite interesting.

I like how they get strengths from animals they kill, that's cool. So far I like Sabine more because she's not okay with killing like Ailesse who thinks to die by her blade is a great honor. Since I forgot what the synopsis said I was quite eager to find out if Bastian is someone's soulmate and if he is whose.. and I expected it to be Sabine even thought she didn't collect 3 bones.

message 10: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
As you can see..I went a bit too much into the book. In my defense it's really interesting, and I'll probably won't have time in a few days to read it. The last chapter I read was ch 19.

chapter 10 (view spoiler)

chapter 11(view spoiler)

chapter 14(view spoiler)

chapter 19(view spoiler)

Darcey | 369 comments Bopeep wrote: "I didn't know if I would join this buddy read, but as long as I finished Star Daughter yesterday, I'm in!
I have 0 expectations and low motivation about this book, and with your comment, Darce, it ..."

happy to have you here, Bopeep! i hope you enjoy this book :))
ooo i've never read The Merciful Crow, is it good?
yesss fingers crossed ahah

Darcey | 369 comments Cat wrote: "Darce, it happened to me as well, I couldn't stop in Chapter 7 so I kept going, hehe!

A very powerful and unexpected start, although I'm not sure where the story is headed (I never read the blurb ..."

ahah good to know it wasn't just me ;)
ooo hopefully you're pleasantly surprised by the book then, it must be interesting to not read the blurb before reading a book!

Darcey | 369 comments mina wrote: "So I too read more than in the plan :D I just finished chapter 10, and I'm going to read more because it's easy to read and it's quite interesting.

I like how they get strengths from animals they..."

yeah i actually expected Bastien to be Sabine's soulmate as well.... ah well, i guess not. this is definitely very easy to read, and the chapters are pretty short so that's good!

message 14: by Darcey (last edited Oct 08, 2020 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darcey | 369 comments mina wrote: "As you can see..I went a bit too much into the book. In my defense it's really interesting, and I'll probably won't have time in a few days to read it. The last chapter I read was ch 19.

chapter 1..."

ahah i just read quite a few chapters as well, i read today and tomorrow's chapters! so i stopped at chapter 22.

Chapter 19:
(view spoiler)

Michelle (shelbrenn) | 266 comments What is Queen Diva not telling the girls? Evil!! The red stone she was hiding. I feel something of there people has not been shared with the younger ones. More sinister than they believe. Power corrupts!

Love the friendship and the willingness for both of them to do anything for the other.

More action is coming!! Enjoying this!

I like all of the points of view. And the POV are very easily distinguished more than group read Spinning Silver.

message 16: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
😂😂 Queen Diva. I like it. Yeah, something definitely is going on that our characters don't know.

I like it too that they are so bonded that they would do anything for each other, even go in a rescue mission without a real plan and without the needed skills. I hope the book will concentrate more on friendships than on the romance.

I think anything with more POVs is better written than Spinning Silver 😂

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 726 comments I've read chapter 10~ I'm so curious about that "evil" god...because it' no good to kill a man to be a Ferrier lol their rituals are weird and creepy.

Actually I thought that Sabine's amouré could be Marcel. They both don't like the life they have to live... and are a pair of soft buns.

I'm liking the action and I loooved the narration of the fight! Usually they are chaotic, but I could imagine it all (moreorless).

Darcey | 369 comments Michelle wrote: "What is Queen Diva not telling the girls? Evil!! The red stone she was hiding. I feel something of there people has not been shared with the younger ones. More sinister than they believe. Power cor..."

yess power definitely corrupts, and the queen is pretty suspicious...

Darcey | 369 comments wow ok i see a lot of Spinning Silver hate😂 i'm assuming Spinning Silver isn't worth the read?

Darcey | 369 comments Bopeep wrote: "I've read chapter 10~ I'm so curious about that "evil" god...because it' no good to kill a man to be a Ferrier lol their rituals are weird and creepy.

Actually I thought that Sabine's amouré could..."

ahhh true, Sabine and Marcel would be so cute! little sweethearts ahah, i guess we'll see!

glad you're enjoying this!

Michelle (shelbrenn) | 266 comments Darce wrote: "wow ok i see a lot of Spinning Silver hate😂 i'm assuming Spinning Silver isn't worth the read?"

Spinning Silver: If you read "uprooted" and like her style of writing it is good. Just too many points of view and not clearly discernible in audio.

message 22: by Michelle (last edited Oct 11, 2020 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle (shelbrenn) | 266 comments Finished the book last night. It is good. Would totally read the next one in the series for buddy read.

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 726 comments omg what a nice theory! It makes sense, and maybe Odiva is just trying to protect Sabine... for some reason? Like the gods wanted to sacrifoce her daughter or something alike?

And I'm curious about the owl! There's a golden jaguar so maybe the silver owl is another mythical creature. My theory is the owl is godess Elara's form on land, and the jaguar is the god's form.

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 726 comments btw I love all the action this book has! And it's not as chaotic as others, so I'm enjoying it~

message 25: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
@Bopeep on what chapter are you on? I'm glad I'm not the last one that hasn't finished it 😅

I'm going to try and read at least one chapter now before bed, and hope that it'll motivate me to read it.

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 726 comments The last I've read was 29!
I'm surprised by this book and how there are a lot of inflexion points that I don't expect... and the change in every characters, and the misunderstandings between them haha I'm not sure how Sabine and Ailesse would end...

message 27: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
Jules annoys me 😐 Okay, she didn't believe in the dead and all that, but what she still thinks Aliesse lied to her when she told her that the flute is a way to get rid of the dead.

chapter 30(view spoiler)

I just finished ch 33, and so far I'm enjoying Sabine's chapters much more, I mean I like Ailesse's too, but I like following Sabine on her journey more.

Darcey | 369 comments Michelle wrote: "Darce wrote: "wow ok i see a lot of Spinning Silver hate😂 i'm assuming Spinning Silver isn't worth the read?"

Spinning Silver: If you read "uprooted" and like her style of writing it is good. Just..."

i haven't read either of those... thanks for the advice though!

Darcey | 369 comments Michelle wrote: "Finished the book last night. It is good. Would totally read the next one in the series for buddy read."

ahh i finished it recently too! sorry all, i totally ditched the schedule, but i had some free time and wanted to finish this off! i enjoyed it as well :))
also, have you guys seen the cover for book 2? GORGEOUS Bone Crier's Dawn (Bone Grace, #2) by Kathryn Purdie

Darcey | 369 comments Bopeep wrote: "omg what a nice theory! It makes sense, and maybe Odiva is just trying to protect Sabine... for some reason? Like the gods wanted to sacrifoce her daughter or something alike?

And I'm curious abou..."

lovely theory! yeah i'm still curious about that owl ahah, it seemed pretty cool!

Darcey | 369 comments mina wrote: "Jules annoys me 😐 Okay, she didn't believe in the dead and all that, but what she still thinks Aliesse lied to her when she told her that the flute is a way to get rid of the dead.

chapter 30[spo..."

ugh yeah Jules is the WORST i actually hate her! and Sabine is definitely the best character ahah.
also your theories are very smart, mina ;))

message 32: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
@Darce If you read something by Naomi Novik I recommend Uprooted. Spinning silver is not bad, but it has so many POVs that it's super confusing.

Wow, that cover.

message 33: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
chapter 35 (view spoiler)

chapter 37 (view spoiler)

chapter 42 (view spoiler)

I finished it! I liked it, and honestly, (view spoiler)

Darcey | 369 comments mina wrote: "@Darce If you read something by Naomi Novik I recommend Uprooted. Spinning silver is not bad, but it has so many POVs that it's super confusing.

Wow, that cover."

hmm ok thank you!

Darcey | 369 comments mina wrote: "chapter 35 [spoilers removed]

chapter 37 [spoilers removed]

chapter 42 [spoilers removed]

I finished it! I liked it, and honestly, [spoilers removed]"

mmm yeah i wasn't big on the romance between Bastien and Ailesse either.... ah well ahah. glad you enjoyed it!

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 726 comments I'm liking this books so thanks for doong this BR because if not I'll probably wouldn't pick it up.

By the way, I've read chapter 40 and I'm 100% sure this is all happening because the gods want Odiva out of this world soon and let the new generation (Sabine and Ailesse) to be in front of the ferriers. Because Odiva is creating a lot of chaos lol

To be a ferrier you ha e to know the limits between life and death and she seems not to care about it.

Darcey | 369 comments thanks for buddy reading this with us, Bopeep! glad you're enjoying it :)) very interesting theory!

message 38: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
@Bopeep 😂 Same. If Darce and I hadn't made plans to read this I don't know when I would've picked it, but I'm glad we did because I enjoyed it.

🤔 Well, could be.. I mean Odiva is obsessed with her thing, and the Ferriers are just a means to an end for her.

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 726 comments Finished it too!

(view spoiler)

message 40: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2416 comments Mod
Ooooh, Bastian being one a Ferrier.. that's interesting.
Yeah, I agree with you, the ritual is stupid. I mean we did get the explanation why it's done that because that has been done to the gods but..eh, it feels like a weak reason for that. But then, why do the Leurres and her soulmate die after a year.. I would like to find out more about that in the next book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.