Start by marking “Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)

Bone Crier's Moon

(Bone Grace #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  14,692 ratings  ·  2,727 reviews
Bone ​Criers have a sacred duty. They alone can keep the dead from preying on the living. But their power to ferry the spirits of the dead into goddess Elara’s Night Heavens or Tyrus’s Underworld comes from sacrifice. The gods demand a promise of dedication. And that promise comes at the cost of the Bone Criers’ one true love.

Ailesse has been prepared since birth to become
Published March 3rd 2020 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Bone Crier's Moon, please sign up.
Kailey I think you have to look at it like the person who is sacrificed is suppose to be the Bone Criers one true love. So in theory they wouldn't fall in lo…moreI think you have to look at it like the person who is sacrificed is suppose to be the Bone Criers one true love. So in theory they wouldn't fall in love again. In addition, based on the summary's use of the words "tradition" and "rite of passage" my guess its purely done out of ceremony. Kinda like the head of the household has to get rid of any possible "distractions". So its like representing choosing duty above all else. But that part is just my prediction. But I gotta agree the one doing the dying has the worst part of the deal.(less)
Danielle It's a duology and the next book will be released in Feb 2021…moreIt's a duology and the next book will be released in Feb 2021(less)

·  14,692 ratings  ·  2,727 reviews

Start your review of Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
jessica
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
this story is all about a doomed romance. i definitely believed the doomed part - from the very beginning you know it isnt going to end well for the characters. its the romance that i find less convincing.

i just dont see any concrete proof, other than faith in an old belief/superstition, that bastien and ailesse are into each other. the idea of soulmates and bonds beyond anyones control can be romantic, but i just found this to be more of an eye-roll than anything. i have a prediction (actually
chan ☆
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
i can see it now: me nutting for this cover so hard that i read this book almost an entire year before it's released... and then have to wait 2 years before the sequel comes out ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I got both of these books in an Owlcrate and FairyLoot box. They have some differences, both with sprayed edges and one with a poster under the dust jacket. I knew I wouldn’t like this book because of animal killings BUT, the book was boring as hell to me and I just didn’t like it.

I would also like to beg the book world to let Charlie Bowater do all book covers so some that I love I can keep!! She does have art on Etsy and Society6 that I’m going to collect. As far as the book....no!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Samantha
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it

This had some elements I really loved: fated lovers; death magic; characters with a connection to the moon; thieves; strong lady friendship.. however some elements were weaker than others.

The mythology, while really cool, felt incomplete at times. Bone Criers guide the dead to the underworld, and are all ladies that get their power from both the moon and animals that they wear the bones of. But, there were some elements of this mythology that seemed too simple and weren't explained.
Andrea Ashwood
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
TRIGGER WARNING: Explicit scenes of animal hunting, murder and removal of their bones.

Okay...
So I'm debating whether to give it 3 stars or keep it at 4.
I've just finished the book and I don't fully understand that it has already finished.
I mean, I know it's the first part of a duology but I think I have been missing more information.
I haven't finished believing the love story, which is bad, because it's the plot of the story.
The only thing that makes me save the book enough is Sabine. Such a
VICTORIA EDWARDS
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well, this is a first. Two stars always felt too harsh to me, but I just couldn’t with this book.

It all stems from one very OBVIOUS thing that is lacking; character depth.

Who was Aileese—besides a Bone Crier/Siren—you ask? I HAVE NO IDEA. She was literally just some girl had to kill some guy to secure her role in her society of Bone Criers. No depth to her character at all. We got no backstory, no unique traits, no development, no nothing.

Who was Basiten—besides a wanted thief who also wanted
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
The artist Charlie Bowater who did the cover of this book is too good for this planet. This book could suck ass but I will make room for it on my shelves. 50 shades will just have to sit on the floor.
Léonie
2,5☆ I can’t believe that I’ve suffered through this book, finding it boring and cringy, and now that I am FINALLY done with it, the only thing I wanna do is start the sequel? wtf is wrong with me?
myo (myonna reads)
when i went into this book i had really low expectations because i hadn’t heard too many good things about this book but i actually ended up loving it. i love the Ailesse SO MUCH!! i love sabine and their friendship as well. A lot of people didn’t like the romance but i thought it made so much sense? This was a great book and i cant wait to read the sequel.
Cassie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank-you, Edelweiss, for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I thoroughly enjoyed this and feel like it’s an easy story to read in one sitting. Not because it’s a simple story but because it’s addicting.

The world is unique and so is the magic system. I've never read a book like this one, where the characters use animal bones and get strength and power from them depending on what animal it is they killed. I loved every minute of it.

This story is full of star-crossed lo
Paige ♠
So. I enjoyed this book but at the same time there were definitely things that annoyed me about it 😐

SINCE THERE WAS SO MUCH that annoyed me, I'm just going to list out the annoying items instead of ranting forever.

A LOT OF THINGS in the novel were just "too convenient" for me because they only existed to create conflict. When I started to actually think about why certain rules in this world existed or why characters acted the way they did, I came up blank, and I think that's largely my issue
Amy Imogene Reads
Sigh. I loved this world, but I couldn't stand what happened in it. Pretty disappointed, if I'm honest.

World building: ★★★★
Characters/Character Arcs: ★★★
Romance element: ★★
Plot: ★★ 1/2

So from my stars above, it's pretty clear where this novel really let me down. The world was cool, the lore behind the religious elements was REALLY cool, and the book had the unexpected awesomeness of being much more cave-focused and catacomb-centric than I thought it would be—which is a HUGE plus for me a reader
Umairah | Sereadipity
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bone Crier's Moon was a riveting read set in a French-inspired world about the lengths people go to for love and loyalty. The moon waxed and waned, the stakes were high and the relationships were compelling- I definitely thought it was a story with a lot of potential.

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 4/5

Bone Criers or Ferriers were women who ferried the souls of the dead to either the Heavens or the Underworld every new moon. But to do this they had to complete a rite of passage that involved lur
alana ♡
"You're worth the risk, do you hear me? You're always going to be worth the risk."

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Not gonna lie, I totally added this one to my TBR just from the cover alone. But luckily for me, the inside of this book is just as pretty as the outside. Bone Crier's Moon is a hauntingly beautiful fantasy filled with lots of hate to love romance, magic, sisterly love, strong friendships, secrets, and betrayals. The writing in this is seriously stunning and the author does a great job of cre

Cindy ✩☽♔
May 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
6/12/19
OMG, is this really happening? Am I actually loving this cover with cover models/character art? OMG I am!
---
...star-crossed lovers Ailith, a magical siren and soul-ferrier, and Bastien, her soulmate who's hell-bent on avenging his murdered father, are fated to kill one another.

Am I the only one who kind wants it to end with one or both of them dying? I don't know I just want something that is actually dark. Anime gets away with it all the time, I think books can do the same.
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
*Rated 3.5/5 stars

Ok, so this was set to be a 4 star read for the most part. I really enjoyed how melodramatic it was, it being high stakes life-or-death from the very beginning. It was fascinating learning about the Bone Crier’s lifestyle, their systems and history that ultimately lead to this moment in the book. I also found the characters fun to read about, the personalities feeling authentic and crashing together in this dramatic culmination of a story.

But then we got to the last 50 pages or
✩ Yaz ✩
3 - ⭐️⭐️⭐️

I was pulled into the story from the very start. The writing was immersive and the plot was intriguing. We explore this story from three POVS:

• Ailesse: The daughter and heir of the Matron of Bone Criers or as they call themselves “Leuress”.
• Bastien: An 18 year old boy seeking to avenge his father’s death whom was killed by a Bone Crier when he was a child.
• Sabine: Ailesse’s best friend and companion <~ probably my favorite character in the book. She had the most development and real
Rachel Kathryn Wright
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book really surprised me with the characters, I did not expect to like as many characters as I did. The only character that was meant to be likable that I didn’t care for was Sabine, and I thought I was going to prefer her over Ailesse and Bastien. This stories pacing was well done especially towards the end when everything is coming to an end. The plot was very interesting, and I really liked the enemies to lovers romance in this book. One of the things that I didn’t like was how the autho ...more
Ingerlisa
Finally finished!!!

Ok so I don’t frequently read YA or fantasy and obviously not YA fantasy but something about this book just drew me towards it.

This was very fun and atmospheric I really enjoyed the world and the magic system it was something that I had never read before. It was a little slow to start but then started to pick up its pace around the 50 page mark. That being said I didn’t love this one. The book was perfectly fine it just didn’t click with me. I think if YA fantasy is your typi
☆She’s Book Obsessed☆
Bone Crier’s Moon
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
What a book! The world building was absolutely amazing✨ These myths about Bone crier’s and their gods, beliefs and Light fits my aesthetic too well🌅
But first, let’s admire the beyond beautiful cover illustrated by Charlie Bowater! I love Bowater’s work, and this cover is everything🌙

But let’s move on to the characters cause I got some tea🍵 Where is the depth may I ask? It took some time to get to know these characters, and I still feel they’re just strangers. For example
Aarushi
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-favorites
I genuinely loved reading this book. It was a fun adventure into the world of Bone Criers, and I really liked the characters and plot line as well! In my opinion, it was a nice, quick fantasy read with fun elements and an actually interesting story.

I really don't feel like writing a long review of this book, so here are just a few points I want to talk about:

-the characters I actually loved! Bastien was really dreamy, Aliesse fierce and protective. My favorite character has to be Sabine, though
Helena Paris
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, magic
Meh. I don’t get the hype. It was ok, but just that. Ok.

Contrary to other reviewers, while I didn’t particularly care for the animal killings, I didn’t think they were too graphic or extreme either.

My main problem were the characters themselves. I loved Sabine, but I think that the book would’ve been better if it solely focused on her, rather than having 3 POVs (which changed so abruptly btw). I didn’t care for the other two at all. They were rather bland characters and weakened the book with
ʙᴇʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Real Rating: 3,5 stars
Bone Crier's Moon tell us the story of three main characters: Sabine, Ailesse and Bastien.
Sabine and Ailesse are best friends and part of a clan of Leuress, women who ferry the dead into the underworld or paradise. They must do it with the help of bones from animals and a sacred bone flute. If the dead are not ferried they become something like invisible danger.
Bastien is a boy driven by revenge because his father was killed by a Leuress. And so our story begins.
Even if t
Vee_Bookish
Feb 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
I'm also a book blogger: Vee_Bookish

The idea of this is so much better than the execution and the start was so promising I was predicting 5 stars - two friends, both coming of age and expected to lure a man and kill him. You've got the polar opposites - Alesse that hunts animals and enjoys it, and Sabine, who has only killed one animal and hated it.

The story fell apart when Alesse met her Amoure, Bastian, a boy who decided the best way to avenge his father's death is to kill a completely random
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
In this French-inspired world, Bone Criers are all female and have the job of ferrying spirits, using the bone flute, to Elara's Heavens or Tyrus's Underworld. They get their magic/enhanced abilities from the bones of animals. They wear the bones on them and they are called Grace Bones. Every Bone Crier should have 3 Grace Bones, except for the Matrone (leader) of the Bone Criers/Leurres, who should have 5.

To prove their dedication to the gods, they have to kill their amouré (their fated lover).
ellie
Apr 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-release
do you ever read a book's synopsis about how much better it would be if it was gay? Star-crossed badass gays on a murdering rampage? sign me UP

"Kathryn Purdie's new YA fantasy adventure series, Bone Grace—in which star-crossed lovers Ailith, a magical siren and soul-ferrier, and Bastien, her soulmate who's hell-bent on avenging his murdered father, are fated to kill one another. Book one is scheduled for fall 2019."

Lucy Langford
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 enjoyable stars ****

”You will die, Bone Crier. Because you are mine.”

So this is the first YA fantasy I have read in a few months and I must say, I really enjoyed it (which I wasn’t expecting!). This book really piqued my interest with soul mates (but with murder/sacrifice), bone magic, and mythology. It was a great fast-paced read and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the rituals etc., to become a Ferrier (someone who ferry’s the dead).

This had a great friendship between two best friends; A
Nana
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great surprise I got with this book, I liked it so much, and that cover, WONDERFUL 💖

The concept of the plot impressed me and I didn't expect to like it as much as it did.

"Bone Crier's Moon", presents us with a story where women attract their love, his soulmate to sacrifice it, and thus fulfill their duty of ferrying good and bad souls of the kingdom between the living and the dead.

Now, the beginning is slow, many details need to be read carefully because the plot can seem somewhat confus
booknator
Jun 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Ok but HOW stunning is this cover?
spring ~♡
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, coverly-love
Do you believe in that thing called "love at first sight"? Well I used to think it's all crap until I saw this book. Well okay, I mean the cover.

I started this one only because of the pretty swoon worthy cover but turns out that inside of this book is as pretty as outside.

Ailesse is destined to kill her one true love in order to become the matron of bone crier's. Bone crier's keep the deads from preying the livings. On the other hand Bastien's one and only goal is to kill Ailesse to avenge his

• The Deep
  • Lucky Caller
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • The Sky Weaver (Iskari, #3)
  • Angel Mage
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Not the Girl You Marry (The Nolans, #1)
  • When We Were Magic
  • Claim My Baby (Crescent Cove, #2)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Mooncakes
  • Homerooms and Hall Passes
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
See top shelves…
Kathryn is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the BURNING GLASS series. Her love of storytelling began as a young girl when her dad told her about someone named Boo Radley while they listened to the film score of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. Kathryn is a trained classical actress who studied at the Oxford School of Drama. She also writes songs on her guitar for each of her stories and shares th ...more

Bone Grace (2 books)
  • Bone Crier's Dawn (Bone Grace, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Are you searching for a great young adult novel to dive into? In that case, you've come to the right place. Goodreads members are pros at...
“I'm not leaving you. You are worth the risk, do you hear me? You're always going to be worth the risk.” 41 likes
“There's an Old Gallish phrase my father used to say whenever he'd have to leave for a little while. He'd hold my hand just like this and whisper, 'Tu ne me manque pas. Je ne te manque pas.' It means 'You're not missing from me. I'm not missing from you.” 23 likes