What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Hobkin
This topic is about Hobkin
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Juvenile/Children's realistic with supernatural elements novel about two sisters who run away from unsafe home, find abandoned house occupied by sprites/hob spirits who help them out. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie McLeod (maggetator) | 3 comments CW: brief reference to child molestation, but not graphic or detailed.
I read this book when I was in 4th grade, so I think that it was around 2007. I'm 23 now (24 next month!). My 4th grade teacher had it in her class library.
ANYWAYS it's narrated by a girl whose older sister ran away and took her along. Abbreviating N for narrator/younger sister and OS for older sister. N knows that OS left home because their father figure molested her, N suspects that OS took her along because OS doesn't think N is safe around her. This is hinted at throughout, and then confirmed at the end. OS is definitely under 18 but mature enough to take care of N, who is under 10? Maybe? It may have been set in America, but I'm not 100% about that. It was a paperback, but I don't remember any other details about how it looked.
OS finds an abandoned house in a small town left behind by an older woman who very recently died, small town thinks OS and N are relatives of the deceased.
Shortly after moving in, they realize the house is inhabited by spirits, most importantly a Hob spirit who would help the previous inhabitant around the house. Hob is very temperamental, N learns the specific customs and traditions to make Hob amicable and helpful. Specifically, she would leave a saucer of milk out for him. If she thanked him he would become VERY angry. Pinching was his favorite way of retaliation for breaking his rules. One time, N accidentally started a grease fire in the kitchen and Hob smothered the fire for her when she didn't know what to do. I remember specifically, she said "Hob, I know you don't like to be thanked, but..." or something like that. One time N followed Hob out into a field near the house where he gathered with other sprites, and they all pinched her until she bruised as punishment. They're all invisible by the way.
The major plot points kind of escape me, but I know towards the end the locals got suspicious of the girls living by themselves, and OS and N had a conversation about their father figure, where OS confirms that she left specifically to protect N because he began to act suspicious towards her, and she didn't want that to happen to her as well. I think in the end they get in contact with their mother and make up and she apologizes for being with the man who molested OS and they end up going back to live with their mom, minus the ex-father figure. I don't think the mom even knew, OS just left because she didn't think she'd be believed, or make situations worse for N by speaking out.
I'm sorry for writing so much, but this book was one of my favorites I've EVER read and I seriously still think about it so often, and it bothers me so much that I have no clue what the title is or even what the book itself looked like. PLEASE help I'm BEGGING you.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie McLeod (maggetator) | 3 comments YES THAT'S IT IM GONNA CRY OMG YOU'RE MY HERO!!!!!

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie McLeod (maggetator) | 3 comments I cannot for the life of me figure out how to notify a mod while I'm on mobile and I have to work now, but I'll figure it out when I have time lll

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20249 comments Awesome, glad to help out!

No worries about notifying anyone. One of the mods will move the thread to the Solved folder later on.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35755 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Maggie. Yes, just post a comment in your thread to notify a moderator.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hobkin (other topics)