You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > October 2020 - Bucket Bucket Who's Got the Bucket

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50498 comments Do you have a bucket list? Don't know what a bucket list is? It's a list of things you want to do before you die (kick the bucket). If you have a bucket list, dig it out because we're going to use it. If you don't have one, quickly list 5 things you'd like to achieve before you "kick the bucket".

A few years ago, my real life book club read The Next Thing on My List which was about a young woman who died without completing her bucket list and another woman completed it on her behalf. It inspired us to do a group list and we each contributed 2 things. One was to visit Machu Picchu. Another was to learn to salsa dance.

The challenge this month is to take 5 items from your bucket list and pick a book that would fit that item in some way.

For example:
- "Visit Machu Picchu" could have you reading a book set in Peru, or about another UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- "Learn to salsa dance" could have you reading a book about dancing, or set in Cuba where it is believed to have originated.

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Challenge.
3. The book must be read between October 1 – October 31, 2020 (based on your local time zone).
4. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose but you may only report one.
5. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read.

In the case of ebooks & audiobooks, use the hardcover or paperback edition to determine page length. From the book page, select “all editions”, then select the first paper edition as your guide. If reading an ebook and there is no paper edition, ask for a ruling. If reading an audiobook and there is no paper edition, your book must be a minimum of 6 hours long.

Scoring (based on the edition you read):

Genre:
5 pts - Non-Fiction
4 pts - Urban Fantasy
3 pts - Middle Grade
2 pts - Romance
1 pts - Historical Fiction

Setting:
5 pts - Set in Africa
4 pts - Set in Wales
3 pts - Set in the 1800's (1800 - 1899)
2 pts - Set in the future
1 pts - set in London, England

Pages:
5 pts - 500 +
4 pts - 400 - 499
3 pts - 300 - 399
2 pts - 200 - 299
1 pts - 175-199

Bonus Points - 2 each:

- Adopt a Dog Month: There is a dog as a significant character in the story. Take an extra point if the story is from the dog's point of view.
- National Field Trip Month: One of the main characters goes on a short trip and returns.
- Popcorn Popping Month: The combination of the title and author's name has two words/names starting with the letter "P". (You may use just the title or just the author if you wish.)
- Sherlock Holmes Week: The story has Sherlock Holmes or a relative as a main character.
- Hallowe'en: Read a book that has "horror" as a main page genre.

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18199 comments I like it! I'll have to put my thinking cap on.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9575 comments Great! I'm thinking that my bookclub book for October, GEOGRAPHY OF BLISS by Eric Weiner, will probably fit my 2 top bucket list items: visit as many countries as possible and learn about as many languages as possible. Will have to take a closer look to it to be sure that is the case.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14487 comments Funny! I was just thinking about a book bucket list and doing some sort of challenge / toppler around books you would add to your bucket list (books you want to read before you die). I was considering how that might look and up pops a bucket list challenge! It's different than what I was thinking, of course, but still what a coincidence.

I'll have to think on this one for a bit. I do have a few places on my bucket list, but I have other options too. I'll have to see what kind of connections I can make. Great idea!

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14487 comments Oh no! Search is temporarily unavailable. lol Guess I'll have to gopher later.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15435 comments I love this!

- Travel for an extended time, at least 2 months, in South/Central America
- Learn to speak Spanish fluently
- Eat at The Fat Duck by Heston Blumenthal (or just have Heston cook for me will do!)
- Write a fiction book (either historical fiction or epic fantasy) that gets published
- Witness a real brain surgery (I would probably faint though, lol!)

I'll gopher soon, but perhaps this is my chance to *finally* try something by Isabel Allende (which fits the first two things on my list).

message 7: by Jayme (last edited Sep 26, 2020 06:02AM) (new)

Jayme | 2567 comments Love this challenge!!

My top 5 bucket list:
- Visit Paris
- Birdwatching on Sanibel Island, Florida
- Fall walking tour in New England
- Weekend stay and dinner at The Inn at Little Washington (I'd settle for just the dinner)!!
- Road trip across the U.S. to complete our National Parks check off list

Will gopher this weekend!

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50498 comments Please share your 5 items from your bucket list if you feel comfortable doing that. It might be fun to see what everyone has.

Peggy, after being the one undergoing the brain surgery (even though it was endovascular, I think I'll pass on that item.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50498 comments Here's mine:

1. Sing karaoke solo in a pub.
2. Drive a dog sled team.
3. Visit Scotland again.
4. Visit Iceland.
5. Explore all provinces and territories of Canada by a combination of train, plane.

message 10: by Ayacchi (last edited Sep 27, 2020 05:19PM) (new)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments - Visit Hawaii
- Visit Old Town Alexandria
- Be famous, lol (write books, translate book, be a mucisian, whatever)
- Visit Studio Ghibli museum and attend Joe Hisaishi's orchestra

Gonna fix it later!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

What fun! I have a huge bucket list of simple achievable things and some very unlikely things. The five items for this challenge are:

-Hold a tarantula
-Get a tattoo
-Skydive
-Explore Windsor Castle unsupervised with unlimited access
-Attend a Murder Mystery dinner

message 12: by Margo (last edited Sep 26, 2020 07:38AM) (new)

Margo | 10106 comments I don't have a bucket list but I guess I can base this challenge on some short term goals.

1. Swim with dolphins/go on a dolphin watch
2. Walk a mile with just my stick and no other walking aid.
3. See the Giants Causeway (It's always the stuff on our doorstep that gets missed)
4. Become a fluent irish speaker (ongoing)
5. Visit Castle Dracula in dublin ( I'm love to go to Transylvania but keeping it real ;-))

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50498 comments I'm enjoying looking at people's bucket lists.

message 14: by Sandra (last edited Sep 30, 2020 10:42AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9575 comments Ok, here is my list then:

- Visit at least one country in each continent (but as many as possible is better).
- Know more about 5 languages (excluding the 4 I can speak now) so I can at least read in those languages.
- Spend another year in Europe.
- Become a Spanish teacher.
- Spend a long period in Uruguay.

message 15: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3749 comments Until this point I hadn't made a Bucket List, but the idea intrigues me. I see a lot of traveling and adventurous eating here, but I do like the tarantula and tattoo. Katie, maybe you could kill 2 birds with one stone and get a tarantula tattoo.
I'll be back when I've done some work on my list.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Roz wrote: "Until this point I hadn't made a Bucket List, but the idea intrigues me. I see a lot of traveling and adventurous eating here, but I do like the tarantula and tattoo. Katie, maybe you could kill 2 ..."

I would have to have the tarantula tattooed onto the palm of my hand to say I was holding the tarantula - definitely a possibility!!

message 17: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10106 comments LOL, I love it Katie!

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9575 comments Katie, I hope it doesn't scare you to death, or it will be hard to have it tattooed!

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Hopper | 1229 comments My Bucket List:

See the Northern Lights
Take the TransCanada Train trip
Visit every National Park
Eat an authentic German meal in Bavaria
Attend the annual Gingerbread competition in Asheville, North Carolina

message 20: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1124 comments My bucket list for the challenge:
1- scuba or snorkel in the great barrier reef
2- try surfing
3- travel to northern Scotland/ Orkney Islands
4- go to all the major board game conventions (Essen, Gencon UKGE etc)
5- road trip all across Canada.

message 21: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments These are all so great! I have a problem with wanting to do everything!

message 22: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments These are all so great! I have a problem with wanting to do everything!

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50498 comments I agree. Like my tbr, my bucket list is in danger of growing.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14487 comments My bucket list is always changing. I complete something, then add something else. I think mine may grow with this challenge too.

message 25: by Christina (new)

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments - visit one of the ringing rocks parks in Pennsylvania
- stay at the haunted Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs AR
- See orbs... I have got a couple of places to check
- See Niagara Falls
- Take an RV trip

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50498 comments Sounds fun, Christina. Better go to New Orleans to see orbs. We took the haunted tour. The guide had us all take pictures of a particular house. There were visible orbs in the pictures I took. When I got home, I saved a copy of the file and lightened it. There were many more orbs showing. I had taken pictures of other houses during that tour, but none of them had orbs. Just the one.

message 27: by Christina (new)

Christina (christir1159) | 1459 comments Janice wrote: "Sounds fun, Christina. Better go to New Orleans to see orbs. We took the haunted tour. The guide had us all take pictures of a particular house. There were visible orbs in the pictures I took. When..."

I will add New Orleans to my places.. Thanks :)

message 28: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2567 comments Christina wrote: "Janice wrote: "Sounds fun, Christina. Better go to New Orleans to see orbs. We took the haunted tour. The guide had us all take pictures of a particular house. There were visible orbs in the pictur..."

We got some very interesting photos of orbs on a haunted tour that we took in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and when we were out on the battlefield.

message 29: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15435 comments What are orbs? (I first read orcs, like the creatures from lotr, lol)

I love reading all your bucket lists!

message 30: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments Kristie wrote: "My bucket list is always changing. I complete something, then add something else. I think mine may grow with this challenge too."

I'm with you there Kristie, always great to tick something off and add something new.

message 31: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments One of my big bucket list items is to visit India and explore some of my partner's heritage. I think I'll read Erotic stories for punjabi widows, I have owned it for awhile now and this is the perfect encouragement to get into it. Not to mention that another item on my list is to revisit the UK.

message 32: by Kay (new)

Kay | 201 comments I'm fascinated by the information everyone has on 'orbs' I didn't even know they were a thing. Very cool bucket list item!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Peggy wrote: "What are orbs? (I first read orcs, like the creatures from lotr, lol)

I love reading all your bucket lists!"

I've just googled it and think they may be unexplained lights in the sky perhaps but waiting for the lovely ladies to confirm as I haven't a clue either lol

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristie wrote: "My bucket list is always changing. I complete something, then add something else. I think mine may grow with this challenge too."

Same here. I like to have tasks to plan for and love crossing stuff off. My list is definitely going to grow.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Kay wrote: "One of my big bucket list items is to visit India and explore some of my partner's heritage. I think I'll read Erotic stories for punjabi widows, I have owned it for awhile now and this is the perf..."

India would be a wonderful place to explore Kay. I have various far east places on my list too. The Taj Mahal would be fantastic to see.

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18199 comments I am enjoying reading everyone's lists and agree that I might end up with one hell of a bucket list, almost impossible to complete as my TBR. Maybe that should go on my bucket list - complete my TBR. I don't actually have a bucket list as such. I might have to do something about that.

message 37: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10106 comments Katie wrote: "Peggy wrote: "What are orbs? (I first read orcs, like the creatures from lotr, lol)

I've just googled it and think they may be unexplained lights in the sky..."

Glad I wasn't the only ignorant one hehe

message 38: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3749 comments I started making a Bucket List a couple of days ago.
For the challenge I've picked these items:

1 Complete (as near as possible) my family tree with pertinent documents
2 Learn to take really good photos
3 Visit European countries (safe ones) (eg, Italy, France, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Spain, etc) and eat authentic food from them (I've been to a few so far)
4 Learn to play mahjongg
5 Increase my walking to 5 miles/day for health and weight loss (I'm up to 2 miles now)

message 39: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10106 comments Roz wrote: "I started making a Bucket List a couple of days ago.

2 Learn to take really goo..."

Congrats on the 2 mile/day Roz! You must be feeling better.

message 40: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10106 comments That reminds me of another goal :

6. Loose 2 stone

message 41: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3749 comments Margo wrote: "Roz wrote: "I started making a Bucket List a couple of days ago.

2 Learn to tak..."

I have to admit, I really don't like walking (or sweating) but I drag myself out just to get it over with. I'd rather be working on one of my other items, like becoming proficient at knitting/crocheting and using up my extensive yarn stash. But I do feel better and stronger from the walking.

message 42: by Almeta (last edited Oct 11, 2020 03:59PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10452 comments Kay wrote: "One of my big bucket list items is to visit India and explore some of my partner's heritage. I think I'll read Erotic stories for punjabi widows, I have owned it for awhile now and this is the perf..."

I read Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows. It was not what I expected and lots of fun. Nothing serious. (It doesn't give you much to say about India.) Gave it 5 stars.

I just finished The Henna Artist. You might consider it. it is historical fiction, not modern India.

message 43: by Almeta (last edited Sep 27, 2020 10:04AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10452 comments Almeta's Bucket List choices:

Have a house keeper
Relax in a sauna once a week
Compete in a frog jumping contest
Learn  calligraphy to finish my genealogy project
Learn my best pose for photographs

This should be interesting gophering!

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50498 comments Peggy wrote: "What are orbs? (I first read orcs, like the creatures from lotr, lol)

Orbs are generally light reflecting off of dust particles in photography. Many people see it as evidence of paranormal activity.

I'm generally of the first camp (dust particles). But when I took those pictures of that house in New Orleans and compared it to houses next door, I wondered why one house and not the others.

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50498 comments I'm going to go with my "Visit Iceland" and read Kin by Snorri Kristjansson who is an Icelandic author.

message 46: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10106 comments Almeta wrote: "Almeta's Bucket List choices:

Have a weekly housecleaner
Learn my best pose for pho..."

A "a frog jumping contest"? I need more info please!!!

message 47: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10106 comments It's not much of contest for me - I choose The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires which relates to my wish to visit Draculas Castle.

message 48: by Almeta (last edited Sep 27, 2020 10:27AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10452 comments Margo wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Almeta's Bucket List choices:...The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

A "a frog jumping contest"? I need more info please!!!..."

Ever heard of the story by Mark Twain? The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

Many US communities include such a contest in their festival activities.; The most famous being the one in Calaveras County, California which has been going on since 1928.

Frogs are a favorite animal of mine. I have several, of the knick-knack variety, throughout my house.

message 49: by Roz (last edited Sep 27, 2020 11:13AM) (new)

Roz | 3749 comments Almeta wrote: "Almeta's Bucket List choices:

Have a house keeper
Learn my best pose for photograph..."

What do you mean by "have a house keeper"?
And you're right, everybody should have a best pose. I don't have one so I look awful in photos.

message 50: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15435 comments Janice wrote: "Peggy wrote: "What are orbs? (I first read orcs, like the creatures from lotr, lol)

Orbs are generally light reflecting off of dust particles in photography..."

Thanks Janice! I'd be in the first camp too.

« previous 1 3