What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Glory (Glory, #1)
This topic is about Glory
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/Middle Grade 90s-00s - girl is poisoned and cast out from fundamentalist family, seeking cure? [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseyxrae) | 17 comments It was actually a series of four relatively short books, all hardcover with wispy/unclear pictures on the front. Read around 2003.

Main character is a girl whose name I think is Glory or Gloria, I think she had red hair and was 12-15. I thought the title of the second book might have been Glory or Mourning Glory, but haven't been able to find it by searching those terms.

Girl lives in a tiny fundamentalist community that rejects modern technology / the outside world. i think in West Virginia. She breaks some rule and I think her friend/little sister dies as a result - possibly falling through the ice or something when they snuck out at night? Her family forces her to drink the poison of some root that lives in their community which is slow acting. She only has a few months to live. She gets cast out from the community and has to make her way in the modern world. i think she's either looking for a cure or trying to find some family member. She ends up in the foster care at some point - I think the family owns a silver jewelry store?? but leaves the family believing her presence to be bad for them.
In the last book she returns to her community to die as she feels the effects of the poison taking hold, and discovers it was all basically psychosomatic/guilt related and it was meant to be a metaphor for learning to repent and it wasn't poisonous after all. i think she's given the option to stay, but decided to go back to the outside world. Big themes were coming to terms with faith, etc.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseyxrae) | 17 comments Yes that's it!!!! I don't know why it didn't come up when I searched - i think the goodreads mobile app search doesn't work that well :/ thank you so much!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19683 comments Welcome, glad to help out!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Glory (other topics)