2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone #0)
This topic is about First Blood
First Blood > Question P

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6199 comments Mod
Any other topics you’d like to discuss? Your overall opinion of the story?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 707 comments I enjoyed it. It reminded me of some of those British murder mysteries on TV with the eccentric team leader and the team that backs him or her one hundred percent.

As this was prequel going back to the start of an established series it will be interesting starting book one next month and seeing them as an established unit. I like that we have that history now.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 770 comments I'm really looking forward to beginning the series with Book 1 :-)

message 4: by Sharon (last edited Sep 24, 2020 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2002 comments I love this series. I agree Lisa, this book resembles a couple British murder mysteries I've watched.

I am a big fan of Kim Stone. A lot of people don't like her because she is so curt and unfriendly. She has many layers that need to be pealed back to get to heart that's for sure. I want to find out what makes her tick.

Lynn (ftbooklover) | 559 comments This is the first book written by this author that I have read. Clearly the relationship between the characters is going to evolve. That is what I would like to trace as the series progresses. I'm reminded of the "In Death" series and how Eve Dallas's relationships have changed over time.
Well that reminds me of something else - will there be other characters outside of this team that will become a recurring part of the story?

message 6: by Robin (last edited Sep 25, 2020 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin (robinmy) | 1401 comments Loved this book. I'm looking forward to book #1.

I believe this may be my first time reading a British police procedural. Google is my friend. I had to look up what all the initials (DS, DCI, DI, etc.) meant. At some point, I read that they worked for CID. Any idea what that stands for?

I was also surprised when Bryant and Kim talked about how many miles they had to go at one point. I thought the UK used the metric system. I looked it up and saw that they do use the metric system, but imperial measures are still in use, especially for road distances, which are measured in miles.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 707 comments Robin, Criminal Investigation Department. It's a British thing but also in Australia probably in the 80's and 90's. Not sure it's still called that now.

Robin wrote: "Loved this book. I'm looking forward to book #1.

I believe this may be my first time reading a British polish procedural. Google is my friend. I had to look up what all the initials (DS, DCI, DI,..."

Robin, in the character list, I provide descriptions for those police titles.

I remember the first time I read a British crime drama (many years ago), I had to google a lot of terms and vernacular! Even this time I had to look up Woodward’s title (DCI).

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2002 comments I remember my first British crime book. I had to look everything up too but it wasn't as easy as a google search (I was in high school) so it was a trip to the library. I also had a pen pal (writing letters. those were the days) who loved mysteries too. She answered many questions for me.

Now with reading, Netflix and other streaming media, I watch/read so many British and Australian shows the titles are a part of my vocabulary.

Oh, Sharon. You bring back great memories about pen pals.

Looking this stuff up without the internet? Daunting.

Robin (robinmy) | 1401 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Robin, Criminal Investigation Department. It's a British thing but also in Australia probably in the 80's and 90's. Not sure it's still called that now."

Thanks Lisa!

Robin (robinmy) | 1401 comments Jonetta wrote: "Robin, in the character list, I provide descriptions for those police titles.

I remember the first time I read a British crime drama (many years ago), I had to google a lot of terms and vernacular! Even this time I had to look up Woodward’s title (DCI)."

I sometimes watch some British crime dramas on PBS. I remember them introducing people as DI and DCI, but wasn't sure what it meant at the time. (I was too lazy to look it up.) After I figured out who was reporting to who, I just watched for the mystery.

message 13: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (ftbooklover) | 559 comments Sharon wrote: "I remember my first British crime book. I had to look everything up too but it wasn't as easy as a google search (I was in high school) so it was a trip to the library. I also had a pen pal (writin..."

I remember pen pals too. What does that say about us?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2002 comments Lynn, it says we've had a good life.

I agree! And we’ve got some age on us😏