Start by marking “First Blood (DI Kim Stone, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
First Blood (DI Kim Stone, #0.5)

First Blood

(DI Kim Stone #0.5)

In the darkness of a cold December morning, Detective Kim Stone steps through the doors of Halesowen Police Station. She’s about to meet her team for the first time. The victim of her next case is about to meet his killer…

Published November 14th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about First Blood, please sign up.
Kimmie Kostman Paul They revisit it in every book but Dead Memories (book 10) is the one in which there is a killer recreating all the traumatic events in Kim’s life. Hop…moreThey revisit it in every book but Dead Memories (book 10) is the one in which there is a killer recreating all the traumatic events in Kim’s life. Hope this helps!(less)

Start your review of First Blood (DI Kim Stone, #0.5)
Lex Kent
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk, het-mystery
A very good mystery/crime book. After seeing reviews from Farah, Paromjit, and Aamina on this series, I knew I had to try this. I love a good mystery/crime book especially with a hard-nosed female protag. DI Karen Stone is everything I was hoping for. A woman that bounces around many teams since she doesn’t care much for people, but she’s great at her job and will go right up to the line to get it done. This is actually the prequel of the series and I’m glad I started here. Karen is again in cha ...more
Jonetta
Detective Inspector (DI) Kim Stone is transferred yet again to another West Midlands police station. This time is Halesowen under the leadership of Detective Chief Inspector (DCI) Woodward. Her style and lack of social norms are responsible for her being dispatched from one station to another. She’s also got a new team who, on the surface, don’t look promising, especially since their first case is not only gruesome but has all the makings of being the work of a serial murderer.

I started this se
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Love love love!! So good to go back to where it all began with Kim and the team. There is so much to take in with this book and just made me love them all so much more. Thank you Angela Marsons!!
Alan Cotterell
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pure brilliance

Merry Christmas ! This is the best early Christmas present ever. One I was not expecting and didn't even know I wanted.
I was shocked to see this book be reviewed as I had no idea about it. I immediately bought and downloaded a copy. Forgot about the ARC 's I have due to be reviewed, moved the 195 books in my TBR pile to one side and started to read. Once you start this I suggest you lock the door and turn off your phone , after you have phoned in sick for work. You will not want
Carolyn Walsh
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 to 4 Stars. I am a longtime fan of the D.I. Kim Stone series by Angela Marsons. Detective Kim Stone has problems in relating to others and in reading emotions. She has been considered rude and in the past and has had difficulty working with other police officers. However, she does feel great empathy towards victims of physical and mental abuse. She is a brilliant investigator, brave, dedicated, and determined to solve crimes and bring the guilty to justice. Throughout the series, Kim has sho ...more
Helga
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, british, mystery, series
4.5

Angela Marsons is one of my “I don’t want to know what is the book about before reading, I don’t want to read any reviews or see any ratings, I just want to dive in, blind” authors. She never disappoints.

First Blood is a prequel to the series. This is where it all begins; where four diverse characters converge to become one of our favorite detective teams.
In the meantime, there is a killer with a thirst for blood and he is on a roll. He is going to strike again and again unless he is caught.
The Book Review Café
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my giddy aunt I can’t believe that Angela Marsons has finally written the VERY book I’ve been fantasying about, First Blood a PREQUEL to the Kim Stone books, yes you read that right!!!!!! Anyone who follows this series will love this book. As a huge fan I’ve watched Kim and her team (and surrogate family) evolve and grow into living, breathing characters. I’ve always wondered about the previous years, and what forces bought Kim, Bryant, Stacey, and Dawson together, well here Lie all the answ ...more
Jean
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller

First Blood by Angela Marsons. Words cannot express how much I’ve missed this series! Now that I’ve read this prequel, I need to read one more before moving on to the newest book, the 14th already. How time flies!

Rather than taking the reader back through many of the painful details of D.I. Kim Stone’s childhood, Ms. Marsons gives us only the bare bones facts. What we get in this taut tale is the introduction to Stone’s new team as she’s being reassigned yet again. She’s become infamous as someo
Sean Peters
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

When the body of a young man is found beheaded and staked to the ground in a secluded area of the Clent Hills, Kim and her new squad rush to the crime scene.

Searching the victim’s home, Kim discovers a little girl’s bedroom and a hidden laptop. Why is his sister relieved to hea
Liz
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
As a long time fan of Kim Stone, I was immediately drawn into this backstory of the first time the team works together. It’s a trip back in time to when they didn’t know each other and were still learning each other’s strengths and foibles. And such fun to see them all younger!
Kim has no sooner been assigned to the Halesowen station when the team is assigned a grisly murder.
I read a lot of police procedural and mysteries. So, I just want to give a shout out to Angela Marsons for consistently p
Gary
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the 12th book in the DI Kim Stone series by author Angela Marsons.
I have followed this series from the very start and thoroughly enjoyed every minute reading it. This one carries on with that same consistency and is yet another great read. An added interest to me is that I live close to many of the locations mentioned in these books.
Detective Kim Stone is about to start a new stage in her career when she begins life at Halesowen Police Station. Not only is she to meet her new team but ve
Jim
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have read several of the books in the Kim Stone series and have enjoyed them all. This is a prequel to the series. In this story DI Kim Stone steps through the doors of Halesowen Police Station for the first time after yet another transfer. She meets Chief Inspector (DCI) Woodward and then her new team. Before the new team even has the opportunity to get to know each other they are called out to particularly gruesome murder scene. The body of a man was found staked to the ground and beheaded.

D
Brenda
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic addition to the Kim Stone series! I’m so glad Angela Marsons thought of this angle! Her team of characters have been so wonderfully developed over the years; I have to think regression might have been a difficult task. Well done, Ms. Marsons!
The Cats’ Mother
The news that Angela Marsons had released a surprise prequel to the Kim Stone series hit social media two days ago, and I added it to my “want to read” and “buy soon” shelves immediately, telling myself that as soon as I’d cleared my six overdue reviews, I would read it. Who was I kidding, within half an hour I had bought it and am feeling proud of myself just for finishing the one I was currently reading first, plus going to a surprise wedding and sleeping. I’ve basically read it in one sitting ...more
Hans
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb! Easily 6 stars! This is a very impressive introduction to Kim Stone. And to her team. Fast-paced from start to finish. An utterly believable prequel with a very serious undertone.
Corrie
First Blood by Angela Marsons is a prequel in the ongoing D.I. Kim Stone series counting 12 books so far. I haven’t read the other books so I am missing the nostalgic feel some reviewers have about going back to the beginning. The characters are all new to me but we do get to know them a bit during this murder investigation. I think it was a good read, with an interesting plot that kept going. I didn’t guess who the killer was so that’s always a plus.

All characters involved are a blank canvas (i
Alexis
And so it begins...

The plot. Newly transferred DI Kim Stone is about to meet her new team after joining Halesowen Police Station. Before she's even able to form an opinion of them, a call comes in about a dead body that's been found. Kim and her team are immediately put to the test when it becomes clear that they might be dealing with a serial killer.

The characters. The first character we meet is DI Kim Stone. She doesn't play well with others, is a bit of a rule breaker, has no patience whatsoe
Somia
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
3 COMFY STARS

D.I Kim Stone has bounced around a lot of teams, her no nonsense attitude and determination to solve her cases can rub some the wrong way, but luckily that's something she can more than comfortably live with. Here I was able to see the team from book one develop and and Kim get her footing as she navigates working with a team, as they try and capture a serial killer.

Overall an easy read, didn't cause the ache in my chest that manifested in book one, but it kept me engaged and there
Janet Newport
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful "head's up" into a fantastic series.

Great complex characters giving a good insight as to how the various members gelled into "the team."
Great complex twisty story, fast paced easy read. And it was a real book! So many of these "prequels" are no more than short stories.

Now to figure out when I've got a block of time to binge-read the entire series!
Rachel Gilbey
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a ginormous fan of the D. I. Kim Stone series, I was excited and privileged to be given an advance chance to read the latest book of the series, which unlike the others doesn't move the series on, but instead is a prequel.

This is the story of how Stone, Stacey, Bryant, and Dawson and their first week as a new team. We see how Kim's reputation preceded her, we get insights into all the officers personal lives, and get to see them working together almost instantly.

For fans of the series this
K.L. Slater
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FIRST BLOOD takes us back to where Kim Stone’s story all began. How refreshing to see how little she has changed over the years; how TRUE she has kept to herself. We watch as she starts out determined, tough with a well-hidden soft centre and is misunderstood by almost everyone around her. Nobody wants Kim Stone on their watch. But slowly we get to meet her beloved team and it’s such an emotional pull at times, knowing and loving all the characters as we fans do!
Binding all this together is the
Wendy
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.75* Consider me all aboard the Kim Stone train! Firstly, big thank you to Lex Kent since it's her review of this book that made me interested in this series. And it is so good! DI Stone is a bad-ass detective who has been transferred from team to team, since she can be hard to work with. As this is a prequel to the rest of the series, I like that we see her and her team meeting for the first time and solving their first case together. The other team members also have their own insecurities to ...more
Caroline Mitchell
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, thriller, favorites
Another cracker from Angela Marsons! I listened to this book on audio and it really brought the story to life. The narrator does such a great job, although I find myself putting everything aside as I listened to just one more chapter. Angela Marsons is firmly embedded in the crime writing hall of fame, and listening to First Blood, it's easy to see why. In this book, we are taken back to the very beginning of Kim's story, when she first met her team. I loved the insights into each of her charact ...more
Robin
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2020, mystery
After being bumped around from one police station to another, D.I. Kim Stone reports to Halesowen Police Station to begin her first day and meet her new team. Within an hour, They've caught their first case. A body of a naked man was found staked to the ground, beheaded, and mutilated. With no identification or witnesses, there isn't much to go on. A a member of the team discovers that there may be other victims with the same mutilations. Are these murders tied together?

This is a new author and
Thomas Strömquist
The prequel offered to the Kim Stone series is another really absorbing crime novel that lets us ‘pre-visit’ the characters we (that is we who read the whole series compulsively) have gotten to know so well. A nice background story, a good mystery and a brilliant ending. Can’t wait for the next one!
hubsie
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended by basically all of my GR friends, I took a chance on this series and must say I was quite impressed with first first book! This is not a romance, I repeat, NO LESBIAN SEX HAPPENS. It's a gritty, dark story that focuses on a hard-nosed, unlikeable cop (Stone) whom no one wants to work with, her formation of a seemingly rag-tag team that uncover some shitty underworld dealings. I do like me some strong, assertive female lead characters, and Kim Stone has a complicated and sad past tha ...more
Amy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
You know what I never realized that I needed in my life? A prequel to the Kim Stone series and after having read First Blood it was exactly what I was craving and I didn’t even know it. Good thing Angela Marsons is far more clever than I am and anticipated what this series needed well ahead of all of her fans, I swear she’s such a keen and crafty author, bravo once again 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

This follows the team, as we know them, but way back when they worked their first case together. Yep, you get to see Kim
Diane
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great prequel - lots of answers to questions about the various characters pasts. A good murder mystery with enough red herrings tossed in to have you spinning your wheels! Very good read, 4 solid stars and 2 thumbs up!

From the blurb: In the darkness of a cold December morning, Detective Kim Stone steps through the doors of Halesowen Police Station. She's about to meet her team for the first time. The victim of her next case is about to meet his killer...

When the body of a young man is found behe
Julie Lacey
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve loved this series since it began with Silent Scream and have read every one of them.
I was so pleased to hear about this book that tells the story of how Kim and the team first got together, and their very first case.
It seemed a bit strange reading about Stacey, Bryant and Dawson as newbies as I feel like I’ve got to know them in the other books, but I soon got used to it!
This is a gripping story about a killer who is targeting people who have abused children.
I loved the initial thoughts
Kelly
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars.

Okay, so I was given a recommendation to read this series from a Goodreads friend. I have so far not been steered wrong by any of the recommendations she's given. This being the prequel,I knew I would possibly have a new addiction if this hit the spot.

Yes, I'm now a fan of this writer.I love police procedurals and mysteries, don't care which country it involves. Detectives/police & forensics are basically universal, the only difference is their titles in the residing land.

This take
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 13 12 Sep 25, 2020 10:30AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 8 8 Sep 24, 2020 05:42PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 7 7 Sep 24, 2020 05:15PM

• The Other Wife
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward, #5)
  • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • Buried Angels (DI Lottie Parker #8)
  • Hunting Evil (Robert Hunter, #10)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Hard Shot (Jon Reznick, #7)
  • Sleep
  • The Perfect Smile (Jessie Hunt #4)
  • Now She's Gone (Detective Rachel Prince #2)
  • The Secret Admirer (Detective Natalie Ward, #6)
  • Revenge
  • Murder at Flood Tide (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 2)
  • Violet
  • The Neighbour
  • Elevator Pitch
Angela is the author of the Kim Stone Crime series. She discovered a love of writing at Primary School when a short piece on the rocks and the sea gained her the only merit point she ever got.
Angela wrote the stories that burned inside and then stored them safely in a desk drawer.
After much urging from her partner she began to enter short story competitions in Writer's News resulting in a win and

DI Kim Stone (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Silent Scream (DI Kim Stone, #1)
  • Evil Games (DI Kim Stone, #2)
  • Lost Girls (DI Kim Stone, #3)
  • Play Dead (DI Kim Stone, #4)
  • Blood Lines (D.I. Kim Stone, #5)
  • Dead Souls (D.I. Kim Stone, #6)
  • Broken Bones (D.I. Kim Stone, #7)
  • Dying Truth (D.I. Kim Stone, #8)
  • Fatal Promise (D.I. Kim Stone, #9)
  • Dead Memories (D.I. Kim Stone, #10)