2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone #0)
This topic is about First Blood
First Blood > Question N

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6191 comments Mod
Once the case is solved, Woodward gives Kim the option of choosing who will be on her permanent team and she opts to keep Bryant, Dawson and Wood. Your thoughts about her decision? Talk about how this team became one by the end of the story. What was the most remarkable about their individual and collective evolutions?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 707 comments I guessed early on this was the way it was heading. Each of the team members strengths and weaknesses had quite a lot of page time and by the end it was pretty obvious that they complimented each other. Dawson's story seemed to make the most transformation, it will be interesting to see him in the next book when he's made the decision to pull everything together. Although I'm wondering if that one night stand will come back to haunt him.. (view spoiler)

Kim watched this group go from a raw, disconnected team to one where each member contributed unique skills that seemed to make them work cohesively. And, they figured out how to work rather harmoniously with her guidance. There was no way she was going to disrupt those dynamics.

What I found remarkable is that all three seemed to thrive under Kim’s style. Good leaders tend to bring out the best in their people and Kim had never been given a chance to prove herself.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1993 comments The way they are all thrown together works for this group. Kim has good instincts about people and put them in positions that suit their strengths. By the end of the case, they all know where they stand with Kim and their co-workers. There is no way she would let anyone go willingly.

Robin (robinmy) | 1399 comments Well said, everyone. It didn't look like this team would work when we were introduced to them at the beginning of the book. By the end, we could see how they blended together so well.

Lisa, I was wondering about Dawson's one-night-stand too. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about it in the future.

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 156 comments Mod
I loved the individual character development in this story and the character relationship development of the team. It was easy to guess her answer - that she would choose them to remain on her team. But I think the author did an outstanding job of developing each team member & weaving them in as an intricate part of a well-performing team. It was almost like taking four misfits, throwing them in together, and watching them each find their own place within the team. Loved it.

Well stated, Sandra!

Oh, how I hope nothing comes of Dawson’s night with Lou.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1993 comments I don't want anything to come of Dawson's one-night stand. It looks like he is growing up now. He doesn't need anything to hurt his relationship.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 707 comments I guess it will depend on the tone of the series moving forward. Whether or not it is about the crimes and the how the team solves them or it moves into their personal lives away from work. Can't tell yet with just the prequel.