2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone #0)
This topic is about First Blood
First Blood > Question A

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6267 comments Mod
Kim Stone is facing her umpteenth transfer to a West Midlands police station, this time to Halesowen. Do you feel these transfers were warranted or were the DCIs being somewhat unfair? What did you make of her initially?

Lynn (ftbooklover) | 559 comments My first thought was that Kim is tough minded and believes in having things done in the right way. Women in positions of power are often looked at as being bitchy if they are tough and stick to their guns. Also, it seems as though she maintains a level of professionalism that doesn't allow for much personal contact with coworkers, especially subordinates, making her seem a bit icy. These things might make it difficult for her to maintain a position.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 720 comments There are two ways of looking at it.

In the past she hasn't formed relationships with her team so it is easy for her superiors to move her on to where she is needed, the lack of personal attachment can have a positive or negative result. And despite this she does seem to get the job done, her personality means she concentrates on solving the crime and doesn't let other things get in the way.

Is she on the Autism Spectrum or has she developed this way because of the traumatic events of her childhood? We will see as the series develops.

Lynn (ftbooklover) | 559 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "There are two ways of looking at it.

In the past she hasn't formed relationships with her team so it is easy for her superiors to move her on to where she is needed, the lack of personal attachme..."

I thought about Autism when I started reading. Some of her character traits definitely fit.

If you closed your eyes and pretended she was a man, Kim’s behavior wouldn’t have been cause for her to be transferred just because she wasn’t warm and fuzzy socially. I agree, Lynn, that women are held to a different standard, often call a bitch when the same behavior by men is characterized as toughness. It seemed terribly unfair here.

I liked Kim’s no nonsense approach. She could be prickly and come across as insensitive at times but I’ve worked for much, much worse. What I appreciated was her holding herself to the same standards she expected from everyone else.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 770 comments Lynn, I think my first perception of her was very much like yours.
Then I also thought about the Spectrum -- it will be interesting to see how her character develops/unfolds for us in the future.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2019 comments Jonetta wrote: "If you closed your eyes and pretended she was a man, Kim’s behavior wouldn’t have been cause for her to be transferred just because she wasn’t warm and fuzzy socially. I agree, Lynn, that women are..."

I'm with you Jonetta. Kim is a strong woman who doesn't form bonds with her co-workers. She isn't afraid to standup to her boss with her opinions (good and bad). Men tend to take that "take no prisoners" approach off-putting from a woman.

Also, she confronts "the old boys club" and threats cops who buy into it.

I don't get the Autism vibe from her. I think it is because this book was released after fans wanted to know how Kim became a part of this team. Marson's had to step lightly so she didn't spoil reveals in books one and two.

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 166 comments Mod
It took me awhile to warm up to her. She's definitely tough & a bit abrasive. But she is thorough. There to do a job not make friends. I was interesting early on about the reason that this time she was requested. Of course, we learn the connection later on.

Lynn (ftbooklover) | 559 comments Jonetta wrote: "If you closed your eyes and pretended she was a man, Kim’s behavior wouldn’t have been cause for her to be transferred just because she wasn’t warm and fuzzy socially. I agree, Lynn, that women are..."

To be successful, women often have to have a tougher shell than men. I wonder if, at some point in the series, we will read about other female characters in Kim's department that have been successful in positions of power and if Kim will interact with one of them. If we do, I also wonder if their personalities will be similar to Kim's.

Robin (robinmy) | 1419 comments At the beginning of the book when it said she had been moved around because she was hard to work with and didn't bond with her previous teams, it made her sound like she was one of those bosses who expected the people under them to do their work with no help or instructions from the boss. That wasn't the case at all. She may be slow to form attachments, but she dives right into the work. She tries to assign jobs that match the strengths of the people she works with.

I do think that being a woman, she was held to different standards than the men in the same position.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2019 comments The more I think about it, the more I believe it was her former bosses that didn't want her around. It seems that she works well with most of her peers, but she doesn't take to pencil pushers or bosses who won't listen to her. She solves her cases which is a feather in the cap of most commanders. I'm wondering if they worried that she would show them up. A woman no less.

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 166 comments Mod
Sharon wrote: "The more I think about it, the more I believe it was her former bosses that didn't want her around. It seems that she works well with most of her peers, but she doesn't take to pencil pushers or bo..."

Good point! I think so.

Sharon wrote: "The more I think about it, the more I believe it was her former bosses that didn't want her around. It seems that she works well with most of her peers, but she doesn't take to pencil pushers or bo..."

Yep. Right on the money.