Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Nominations Open for the October BOTM's

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12960 comments Post your nominations here for the October group reads. A significant portion of the book must be set in the featured location. We will be reading a selection set in Moldova, a world mystery, a book in translation from a woman writer, and a book relating to migration to or from Northeast Asia.

Moldova*:
Nominate a book set in Moldova.
Moldova Book List: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Moldova Bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

World Mystery
Nominate a mystery novel set in one of the following locations in Southeast Asia: Brunei, Cambodia. Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, or Vietnam.

Migration
Nominate a book relating to migration to or from one of the following Northeast Asian countries: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, or the Russian Far East (East of the Lena River).

Women in Translation
Nominate a translated book from a female author from one of the following Northern European countries: Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, or Sweden.

For a list of books we have read in previous months, click here: Previously Read Group Read Books

*For our featured world country selection (this month it is Moldova): If the book selected by popular vote is not written by a native or resident author of at least 1 year, the book written by a native/resident author with the highest votes will also be selected, resulting in two book selections for that country.

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 631 comments For Moldova, I nominate Siberian Education: Growing Up in a Criminal Underworld by Nicolai Lilin

For world mystery, I nominate A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder by Shamini Flint

For women in translation, I nominate Soviet Milk by Nora Ikstena (Latvia)

message 4: by RachelG. (last edited Sep 22, 2020 07:46AM) (new)

RachelG. | 480 comments For world mystery, I nominate: The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill

message 5: by John (new)

John Formosa Moon is a story of migration *to* Taiwan, if anyone else is interested?

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria | 29 comments For women in translation, I nominate A House in Norway by Vigdis Hjorth.

And for migration maybe Your Republic Is Calling You by Young-Ha Kim. About a North Korean spy who has been living in the south for 21 years and has to go back home. I read "The Girl with 7 Names" by Hyeonseo Lee earlier this year, about a girl's journey leaving North Korea, and it was a very good book, so I think it would be interesting to read something similar!

message 7: by Mome_Rath (last edited Sep 26, 2020 06:27PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1418 comments Lot's of good nominations already mentioned (Cotterill and Flint for mystery; Your Republic is Calling You for migration).

To supplement books about North Korea, I'd highly recommend the non-fiction Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick, who interviewed North Koreans about their lives before and after their defection to South Korea, including the perils involved in leaving the country.

message 8: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1418 comments As for mysteries, just for variety, I remember there are a couple more that take place in Singapore, though I haven't read them yet:

The Frangipani Tree Mystery by Ovidia Yu
Singapore Sapphire by A.M. Stuart

message 9: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12960 comments Nominations are now closed.