2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
This topic is about Seconds to Live
Seconds to Live > Question G

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Sep 16, 2020 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6197 comments Mod
Police Chief Horner adds more pressure to the investigation by his interference and desire to rush to judgment with the first suspect, Noah Spivek. How do you think Stella handled him? Was there something she could have done differently?

Robin (robinmy) | 1401 comments I wondered how Horner got to be the chief since he was so fixated on Noah Spivek being the killer. He seemed to dismiss whatever Stella had to say on the subject. She handled it better than I would. I thought Stella would ask Brody's advice about the Chief. I'd want to know if the Chief acted like that toward all the newbies, or if he was questioning her in particular.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1035 comments Horner was obviously more interested in the appearance of having a suspect to satisfy the press than in finding the real killer.

Stella handled him the best she could given that she is a relatively new detective and the job is very important to her. Perhaps with more experience, she would have been able to work around him.

Robin, I think the Chief's attitude was also affected by Stella being a woman. In fact, his assistant (Carol?) implies as much when she goes to help Stella prepare for the press conference/ Women are held to a different standard. It is infuriating!

Horner is sexist and more a political animal than a law enforcement professional. His interest was more about PR than to get the right suspect.

Not much a rookie detective can do, especially since she’s still proving herself. I think Stella did the best she could do, which was just doing her job.

Maybe he learned something here as he was so very, very wrong.

Lauren wrote: "Horner was obviously more interested in the appearance of having a suspect to satisfy the press than in finding the real killer.

Stella handled him the best she could given that she is a relative..."

Apparently we were posting at the same time! We are essentially saying the same thing😏

His secretary’s name is Cecily.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1998 comments Yes Horner is one of those political animals worried more about his stats and appearance than getting the right person.

Robin (robinmy) | 1401 comments Thanks, Lauren. I totally forgot about the things that the Chief's secretary said about his attitude toward women.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1662 comments Agree with you all. Stella was just filling a role he had for her. He really this wrapped up fast, so his image didn't suffer. Stella tries to do it his was and almost gets blown up.

message 9: by Lauren (last edited Sep 20, 2020 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1035 comments Jonetta wrote: "Apparently we were posting at the same time! We are essentially saying the same thing😏..."

Of course we are! It's us 😉

Thanks for her name. I knew it was with a C

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 852 comments I agree with all of you. He was a sexist. I pictured him saying "little lady". What a jerk! I think Stella did all she could under the circumstances.