Start by marking “Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)” as Want to Read:
Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)

Seconds to Live

(Scarlet Falls #3)

A Wall Street Journal bestseller

Wildlife biologist Mac Barrett avoided his hometown of Scarlet Falls for years—too many bad memories. But when he receives the news that his father is dying, he rushes home only to discover he’s too late. Shaken, Mac retreats to his remote cabin seeking peace and solace. Instead, he crashes his jeep to narrowly avoid running over the naked

Published June 28th 2016 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about Seconds to Live, please sign up.
Marshia Bontrager Not that I have heard of but there are 2 other books in the series. " Hour of Need" & "Minutes to Kill". All get 5-star ratings from me.

Mo
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed all the books in this series. New to me author, so I will be checking out more books by her.

Was interested in Mac from the first book. He seemed like a lonely, tortured soul.

Stella works at the local Police Department in Scarlet Falls, Mac's hometown. He returns there from work overseas, due to his father's ill health.

This one kept me guessing until the end. It felt a little bit rushed in the end. I loved catching up with Grant and Hannah, the characters from the first two books.
"Avonna
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Seconds To Live by Melinda Leigh has once again pulled me into the lives of the Barrett family of Scarlet Falls and I just don’t want it to end. Romantic suspense in this author’s hands never fails to entertain!

This is the third Scarlet Falls book and focuses on the youngest of the family, PhD wildlife biologist, Mac Barrett. Mac is the youngest and had the most difficulty getting his personal life on track. He feels guilty over past bad decisions and is more comfortable in the South American ju
Cyndi
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am on a roll with this author! I really like her writing- the mysteries are good, the heroines are strong and the heroes are solid men (none of them have been manwhores😃).
Mei
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary

...Stella’s boss...

I wanted to make you smile now, because when you start reading this book, you’ll not be smiling....

The murderer was really creepy and completely crazy!

Until almost the end I didn’t get who it was!!! I thought it was everybody else, but not the right one! LOL

This actually happened!!! OMG!!!

You have to read the book, I’ll not spoil it for you!

Apart from the very good mystery, I love the couple here! Mac and Stella were perfect! Even if both have some issues (Mac with his recen
Linda Strong
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Police Detective Stella Dane is investigating the murder of a young woman whose body was found in an alley. It’s obvious she was tortured before taking an overdose of heroine. What’s worse is that Stella knows the victim personally.

And then a second abduction and another body found, much in the same way as the first one.
Wildlife Biologist Mac Barrett arrives back in town to see his dying father, only to find that he is too late. All of his family live in Scarlet Falls, but because of some past h
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
It would have been a four star read if not for the instalove. The storyline was interesting. The romance played out as an afterthought and might have been better if it wasn't there. The two didn't date. They were together a culmination of a few hours over several days before they said I love you. I didn't feel love between the two. Lust, admiration, a growing attraction outside of the physical, yes to all. But not love.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I really liked the start of this story and was immediately pulled into the plot as well as to the characters. This is the first one in this series that I have read and it worked well as a stand-alone. There are references to events that probably happened in prior book(s), but it didn't impact my enjoyment of this book.

I really liked the two lead characters and thought the supporting characters were a good mixture. I really liked Mac and Stella together as well as individuals. Stella is a strong
Petra
This was exactly what an entertaining romantic suspense novel should be like. Part 3 in the Scarlett Falls series, this one focuses on Mac, the baby, and the wild child of the Barrett family, who is returning home to say goodbye to his dying father. Mac meets up again with Detective Stella Dane. These two met in book 2, Minutes to Kill. These books work as stand-alones, but as the same characters keep reappearing I would suggest starting with book 1, Hour of Need. You won't regret it!
Stella is
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This right here is what amazing romantic suspense novels are all about for me. Melinda Leigh really did a superb job on this installment in her Scarlet Falls books. There are so many viable suspects here. I made my guess early on. I have to make my guess. Books that have a criminal element to them turn into some sort of a guessing game for me. I even had a slightly plausible motive for the character I picked. I was so completely wrong. The actual psycho here when it was revealed was a complete s ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Scarlet Falls Trilogy and it is Mac Barrett's story as well as Stella Dane's story. Stella is a newly promoted detective and she is on the case of missing and murdered women. The first victim was a highschool friend of Stella's. She does not want the second kidnapped woman to become a murder victim, but time is running out. Meanwhile, Mac returns home from the jungles of South America after being almost killed by drug runners. He is also told that his father is dyin ...more
Sophia
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I pressed onward to the third Barrett siblings' story in the Scarlet Falls trilogy and I'm pretty sure this was my favorite of the three. Mac and Stella were great characters and all the suspense surrounding them had me riveted to my audio.

Seconds to Live is the third and final leg in a trilogy. It works best in order as the characters were introduced in earlier books and the previous lead characters have a strong presence in this one. In fact, I accidentally grab the first in the spin-off (Morg
2.5 stars. One star for the writing, one star for MCs I liked, and half a star for a safe read.

Engagingly written with MCs you can't help but root for, I enjoyed this. The mystery was a little understated, but the multiple povs kept it from becoming boring. I really liked the h who was a good mix of strength and femininity. This story also featured an H who was at a good point in his life. He's ready to move on from his past and become fully adult instead of just running away from his problems.
Maria Mitchell
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Much better than the first two books in this series.
CL
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great author. I have read her other characters stories and this was just as great. This story has so many twists and turns you can't put the book down. Mac comes home to Scarlet Falls because he has been notified his father is dying only to arrive too late. Trying to deal with his father’s death he decides he needs time alone so he heads to his cabin only to crash his car trying to avoid the dead woman’s naked body in the road. He calls the police, Det Stella Dane shows up, and when she arrives ...more
Hollie
Steamy and fast paced suspense

This was my first book to read in this series, and I didn’t feel like I missed anything by jumping into the middle of it. I'm likely now to go back and read the previously released books. This book really made for a page turner. The plot was action packed and never dull. The characters were solid. It was also a pretty steamy romance which surprised me. I'm glad it was offered as a kindleunlimited and I will definitely check out more of this writers work.
Eve
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was not so engrossed in SECONDS TO LIVE as with previous books. The more I read it, the more I wanted to finish it and move on to some other story.
The problem was that I could not "get into" the main characters as I like. Storyline was constantly switching between different characters and it felt like non of the characters could held writer's attention for long. It soon became quite annoying that just when I started to warm up to Mac or Stella, there comes switch of pov and once again I lost i
Saly
This one was okay. My problems in this were showing off the hero to be so macho. Why didn't he turn to the police about his old gang ages ago? That plot point was a bit too much. Overall okay.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Women being killed
She's cop, he's home from jungle
Can they catch killer?

Excellent series
Well written, great characters
Bad guys are real bad
Vikki Vaught
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Musings

Wow, just wow! This is a fantastic book. It kept me on the edge of my seat from the beginning to the end. Hated to see this series end. Happy ☺reading 📚!
S Cady
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this at 8pm and finished about three in the morning. Seconds to Live is too hard to put down. Melinda Leigh grabs you from the start, and keeps you guessing who the killer is all through the book. I keep thinking that Melinda's books can't get any better, but they always do. Melinda Leigh is one of the best writers I have read in years
Colleen Thompson
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Melinda Leigh's SECONDS TO LIVE not only has heart, with characters I fell in love with, but the mystery has several exciting twists I never saw coming! Wonderful romantic suspense!
Jessica Rackley
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thrilling and sweet

This was a good book. We got to see so much more of Scarlet Falls than before and touched base with the rest of the family more than we got to in book 2.
There was only one mystery to solve and I found that predictable. Well at least I only saw one mystery, everything else was out in the open. Stella and Mac made a great partnership, and her ability to work so easy with Brody and Lance and Carl was nice.
I am wondering how much we will get to see the Barrett family in the Morga
Carolyn
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one. I was connected and invested in the characters. Great mystery, though I figured the culprit early on, it was interesting to see how it would developed.

Mac and Stella are probably the best couple in this series. So yay! Gotta love the Barret siblings.
Jm
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This started out as a thriller and crime novel that quickly drew me in. Then too many plot elements and ... it didn't seem like police procedures were followed and I guess who did it way before the reveal. Some of the characters, especially the main ones, were interesting.

The bad guy became 2D and the supporting characters full half-hearted. Some of this is probably because I started the series on the 3rd book in, but it felt like the story had too many directions and lost steam.

I will probably
Alex ♈
Skipped through -> no rating.

Too much crime and only little justice.
Dawn ♥ romance
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I enjoyed this romantic suspense with plenty of action, lots of bad guys, and an exciting ending. I liked how the hero and heroine worked together and although light on the romance, all the intrigue more than compensated. Just after biologist Mac returns home he encounters a body in the road that may be related to the case detective Stella is working on.
Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
I LOVED this series, and Mac is my favorite kind of hero...bad ass, damaged and smart!

This series was so good. Every book in the series got better and better.
Carolyn
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leigh-melinda
Great ending to a fabulous series!
Yolande Dornelly
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I started reading this book and could not put it done. It grabbed my attention from the first chapter. I've read all three books and they were all great.

• Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers, #1)
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • Scream For Me (For Me, #3)
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
  • Red Rock Rises (Red Rock #1)
  • Passage West
  • Take Me Back (Paradise, Idaho, #4)
#1 Amazon Charts and Wall Street Journal bestselling author Melinda Leigh is a fully recovered banker who learned that writing books is way more fun than analyzing financial statements. Melinda’s debut novel, SHE CAN RUN, was nominated for Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers. Since then, she has garnered numerous writing accolades, including two RITA® Award nominations and an in ...more

Scarlet Falls (3 books)
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
“You love your family without judging them for their faults.” And” 0 likes