The Challenge Factory discussion

♦SSS Archives♦ > R12: SSS Team 3 - The Dewey Decimators

Comments Showing 1-50 of 285 (285 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Dec 07, 2020 07:44AM) (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5867 comments Mod
Team 3 - The Dewey Decimators

Captain:
Theo
Susan A
Suzanne 2
Library

(view spoiler)

Bonus Points:
Earned: 5
Used: 0

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Helpful Links:

Dice Roll (1 die on Thursdays & Sundays, US Central Time)
R12 SSS Post Your Spot
R12 SSS Discussion Thread

Time Zone Converter

message 3: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Board

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

ALTERNATE LIST:
**titles exclude leading articles (a, an, the)

1. Less than 100 ratings
2. Title 'L'
3. Cover Item: Furniture
4. Author 'B'
5. South America
6. Cover: Black
7. Published 2019
8. MC has a pet
9. Cover Item: Lamp/Candle
10. Set in a place you've visited
11. Romance
12. MC has at least one child
13. Set sometime before 1600 AD
14. Cover Item: Jewelry
15. Book that a teammate rated 5 stars
16. Cover: Pink
17. Four or More Words Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
18. MC is older than 60
19. North America
20. Title 'G'
21. Cover Item: Animal
22. Set anytime between 1600-1837
23. Female Author
24. Cover: Green
25. Published 2015-2016
26. Non-Fiction
27. Cover Item: Two or more people
28. Author uses their middle name/initial (e.g. Robert J. Sawyer, Rita Mae Brown)
29. Cover: Red
30. Cover Item: Water
31. Young Adult/New Adult
32. Set in a Fictional Location/Universe
33. Africa
34. Seasonal Theme (i.e Christmas, Halloween etc)
35. Author 'S'
36. GR average rating >4.0
37. Number in the Title (Third Grave Dead Ahead or Every Fifteen Minutes)
38. Originally published in a language other than English
39. School/College/University
40. Cover Item: Food/Drink
41. Title 'E'
42. Cover Item: Weapon
43. Published 2011-2012
44. Author 'M'
45. LGBTQ+
46. Cover: White
47. Published 2001-2010
48. Australia
49. Author 'P'
50. Cover: Blue
51. Published 2017
52. Cover Item: One person
53. Author 'O'
54. Published before 1950
55. Set anytime between 1837-1901
56. One Word Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Witness or Divergent
57. Cover: Yellow/Gold
58. Mystery/Thriller
59. Author H
60. Asia
61. Several authors
62. Author 'R'
63. Award Winner (must state which/when)
64. New to You Author
65. Published 2013-2014
66. Title 'T'
67. Cover Item: Book
68. MC travels by train
69. Title has a subtitle
70. Cover Item: Mode of Transportation
71. Title 'J'
72. Set in the future
73. Cover Item: Hands/Arms/Feet/Legs (no other body parts visible)
74. Book to Movie/TV (must state how book qualifies: listopia, imdb, precis)
75. Male Author
76. Two Word Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) Deadly Silence, The Hunger Games
77. Title 'F'
78. Cover: Purple
79. Debut Novel or Debut Author
80. Author uses a pseudonym
81. Title 'C'
82. Cover Item: Building
83. Published between 1950 and 1999
84. Author 'D'
85. MC is in their 20's
86. Title 'V'
87. Cover Item: Sun/Moon
88. Science Fiction
89. Title 'B'
90. Cover: Orange
91. Published 2018
92. Three Word Title (excludes articles like A, An, The) Behind Closed Doors or Etched in Bone
93. Europe
94. Author 'W'
95. Cover Item: Dress
96. Fantasy
97. Cover Item: Hat/Helmet/Other Headwear
98. Author 'I'
99. MC travels by airplane
100. Author 'L'
101. Four or more Words Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
102. Cover: Brown
103. Published 2020
104. Author 'F'
105. Title 'G'
106. Romance
107. Anthology/Short Stories
108. Cover: Green
109. Title 'N'
110. Favorite Author
111. Author 'Y'

message 5: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

A couple of things to keep in mind:

✸ Communication is key. Please make sure to check in regularly with your team.

✸ Let your team know if it looks like you won't get your review posted by Wednesday/Saturday, 11:59pm. You do have all of Thursday/Sunday to submit your review, but it can be intensely frustrating for your captain if they don't know when or if they can expect your review before the deadline.

✸ If you know beforehand that you won't be able to read and review a book during a certain period of time, you can request a pre-arranged absence from me, either by posting the request in the discussion thread or by sending me a pm. The request has to be submitted before the team rolls for the time period in question, can only be approved by me as the mod in charge of running the game, and has to state a reason for the absence. (Reasons for pre-arranged absences can include e.g. going on vacation or work trips, planned hospital stays, exam period, etc.)

✸ If you do not have a pre-arranged absence and won't be able to finish your book in time for an unforeseen reason, please let your team know as soon as possible. If the team has earned the free pass, it can be used to cover the missing review. Without a free pass, the team has to sit out the next roll.

✸ We all know that real life gets in the way sometimes, be it through family emergencies, work emergencies, natural disasters, technical problems making it impossible to get online, or in other ways. That being said, please do keep in mind that this is a team challenge and your team relies on you to do your part unless an emergency occurs.

✸ If you find that the pressure of keeping up with the pace of the game gets too much for you or you wish to stop playing for any other reason, you can drop out of the challenge at any time. In that case, please let your team captain and/or me know that you wish to drop out rather than just disappearing without a word so your team won't be penalized when you fail to turn in your review. Thank you!

Captain's Handbook

✸ The team's captain is its chief organizer. This includes rolling the dice, posting the team's new spot to the team thread and the Post Your Spot thread, collecting links to team members' review posts in a single post to be linked in the Post Your Spot thread, doublechecking that books and review posts comply with requirements, reminding team members to post their reviews in time if necessary, etc.

✸ The captain may delegate some tasks, such as rolling and posting the new spot to the team thread, to another team member if they so choose. (Either a designated roller who fulfills this role for every roll, or whichever team member is online first once rolling is possible.) Collecting reviews into a single post and posting to the Post Your Spot thread should always be handled by the captain.

✸ Instead of having everything handled by a single team captain, teams can also choose two co-captains to handle the workload.

✸ Selection posts are not strictly required by the game's rules and I won't be checking for them. It's up to the team captain to decide whether they want them.

✸ If the team captain requests a pre-arranged absence, it's their responsibility to arrange for another team member to step in as temporary captain.

✸ The team captain is my primary point of contact for the team and should allow receiving private messages.

message 6: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments Hi everyone! I'm Jada, and I'm super excited for this! :)

message 7: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1629 comments Hey Team. My name is Susan. I live in NJ, EST... most likely I won't be awake at 1am to roll the dice. I have participated in this challenge before, but it has been a while.

message 8: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16382 comments Mod
Hi guys,
I have played this game every time and love it. I live in Dallas, central time, I am excited

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1435 comments Hello everyone, checking in!

message 10: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Hey Team! I'm Theo and I'm also in the Eastern Time Zone (Virginia), so I also won't be awake at midnight central time.

I am willing to be captain, and either have someone else roll or I can roll in the mornings.

Anyone have any ideas of team names?

message 11: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Hi guys,
I have played this game every time and love it. I live in Dallas, central time, I am excited"

Hey Ezi! While I'd love to have you on our team, it looks like you're actually on Team 2.

message 12: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1629 comments Theo wrote: "Hey Team! I'm Theo and I'm also in the Eastern Time Zone (Virginia), so I also won't be awake at midnight central time.

I am willing to be captain, and either have someone else roll or I can roll ..."

Thank you Theo! I can be the back up.

I'm terrible at team teams...which is not a useful response.

message 13: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments I'm also not great at coming up with names.

The only two that I can think of right now are:

Three Sheets (of Paper) to the Wind
Roll. Read. Repeat.

message 14: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments ... The Dewey Decimators? Cause we wanna win?

message 15: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Library wrote: "... The Dewey Decimators? Cause we wanna win?"

I'm a librarian, so I like the Dewey Decimators!

message 16: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1629 comments Sounds good to me.

message 17: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Unless Suzanne objects, it looks like I'm captain and our team name is The Dewey Decimators!

I can do the first roll right at midnight this week because I'm furloughed on Thursday and don't have to wake up at a specific time. And I'll commit to rolling on Sundays because I don't have anywhere to be in the mornings, so I can sleep in. But most Thursdays, someone else will need to roll or you'll have to wait for me to wake up. That is if everyone gets their reviews in before midnight the day of the roll, which is preferred!

message 18: by Library (last edited Sep 15, 2020 02:51PM) (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments Sounds good! I read pretty fast, so I'll be able to do it, unless something happens unexpectedly. Also, I can roll if we need someone to do it.

message 19: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Theo wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "Hi guys,
I have played this game every time and love it. I live in Dallas, central time, I am excited"

Hey Ezi! While I'd love to have you on our team, it looks like you're actua..."

Y’all don’t want me? 😭😭😭

message 20: by Library (last edited Sep 15, 2020 09:34PM) (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments I mean, if you wanna join us you can, but your actual team might be unhappy about that. :)

message 21: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Thank you for the warm welcome. I’ll go join my team. Goodluck to you all

message 22: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Is everyone ready for tonight's roll?

message 23: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1629 comments Yep!

Do we try to plan for the bonus points, or is that more of a happy accident?

message 24: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Susan A wrote: "Yep!

Do we try to plan for the bonus points, or is that more of a happy accident?"

Either way. If you know you're going to be reading for a specific bonus point, you can share that, or if it just happens (like if we all read a paranormal/horror book for the Halloween roll) then no big deal, we'll just randomly assign the bonus point to one of us. I usually go for the not reading any from the alternative list bonus point because I like the challenge of it.

message 25: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments I am so ready! :D

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1435 comments I like the Dewey decimaters! That’s super cute

message 27: by Theo (last edited Sep 16, 2020 10:10PM) (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Week 1, Thursday Roll

Roll: 1 (sorry!)

You can read a Standalone, #1 in a series, or a book with less than 100 ratings

You don't need a selection post, but it's helpful to me if everyone will check in the day of the roll, so that I can know everyone has seen the post and is at least thinking about what they will read. Thanks!

message 28: by Theo (new)

Selection Post

Spot: 1
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
Book: What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
Qualification: Standalone

message 29: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1629 comments Week 1, Thursday Roll
Selection Post

Spot 1
Provoked (Enlightenment, #1) by Joanna Chambers
Provoked by Joanna Chambers
202 pages
#1 in series - Enlightenment

[*book:Provoked|34933997]

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1435 comments Week 1: Thursday Roll
Spot 1:

The Mister by E.L. James

Book: The Mister by E.L. James
Qualification: Stand Alone

message 31: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1629 comments Week 1, Thursday Roll
Completion Post

Spot 1
Provoked (Enlightenment, #1) by Joanna Chambers
Provoked by Joanna Chambers
202 pages
#1 in series - Enlightenment
5 stars
9/17/20

I first read this series in 2013. Today, I listened to the audiobook narrated by Hamish McKinley. The narration was excellent. The story was just as good as I remembered - compelling mystery, David's struggle with his sexuality, Murdo's struggle with David's morals. I did forget that the story ends with no understanding between the two MCs, but fortunately, I bought the rest of the audiobooks in this series.

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1435 comments Week 1, Thursday Roll: Spot 1
Completion Post

The Mister by E.L. James

The Mister by E.L. James
498 pages
Qualification: Stand Alone
5 stars
9/18/20

Honestly, I hated 50 Shades of Gray. I thought it was awful and only read it for the sex scenes. However, this book was so enjoyable that it redeemed the author in my eyes. I didn't like the male main character at first but the more I got into the better it got. He's a cad, but he's a loveable one.

message 33: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments Week 1, Thursday Roll: Spot 1
Completion Post

Nowhere on Earth by Nick Lake
292 pages (The page count on Goodreads is wrong)
How It Works: It's a standalone
4 stars
9-18-20

This was a weird, beautiful book. Set in Alaska in the mountains (I'm freezing just thinking about it), the craziness starts immediately with a plane crash, where Emily is just trying to keep herself, her brother (or is he?) and the pilot alive. This book managed to cram in a survival story, aliens, a family coming together, and following your dreams all in under 300 pages.

message 34: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments Btw, guys, I'm a bit confused. How do we earn more than just the bonus points?

message 35: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Great reading everyone! I'll be done today before I roll tonight!

Hey Library! We'll roll twice a week to move our way through the board. We'll each have to finish our book in the allotted time in order to move forward. Bonus points can be earned and added to our rolls to move us even farther forward. does that answer your question?

message 36: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments Ok, I thought since it said points we were trying to get actual points, not just further along the board. I get it now. Thanks!

message 37: by Theo (new)

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
Book: What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
Pages: 284
Qualification: Standalone
Finished: 9/19/2020
Rating: 4 stars
Review: Evie is a 15-year-old girl, living in Queens, New York in the late 1940s, and she's ready to grow up: wearing lipstick, dating boys, or smoking cigarettes. But after her family travels to Florida on vacation, she learns that being an adult is not as glamorous as she once thought. The author does a great job of creating Evie's post-WWII world and developing believable characters. Her naïve narration reveals more than she knows.

message 38: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Week 1, Thursday Roll Team Reviews Post

Library: Nowhere on Earth by Nick Lake (Standalone: Post 33)
Susan A: Provoked by Joanna Chambers (Enlightenment #1: Post 31)
Suzanne: The Mister by E.L. James (Standalone: Post 32)
Theo: What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell (Standalone: Post 37)

message 39: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Week 1, Sunday Roll

Roll: 6
Spot: 7

You can read a #7 in a series or a book published in 2019.

message 40: by Theo (new)

Selection Post

The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7) by L. Frank Baum
Book: The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Qualification: #7 in Oz

message 41: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments I'll be reading The Woodshed Mystery, probably, for #7 in a series.

message 42: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Free pass earned, good job! :)

message 43: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1629 comments Week 1, Sunday Roll
Selection Post

Spot 7:
The Duke's Accidental Wife (Dukes of War, #7) by Erica Ridley
The Duke's Accidental Wife by Erica Ridley
#7 The Dukes of War

message 44: by Susan A (last edited Nov 01, 2020 09:15AM) (new)

Susan A | 1629 comments Week 1, Sunday Roll
Completion Post

Spot 7
The Duke's Accidental Wife (Dukes of War, #7) by Erica Ridley
The Duke's Accidental Wife by Erica Ridley
#7 The Dukes of War
9/20/20
3 stars

I listened to the audiobook. The narration was fine. To be honest, unless it's terrible or awesome, I don't really notice the narration. I've read books 1-4 in this series, but skipped 5,6 for now.
This book was entertaining enough. The Duke struck me as insipid. The heroine made a big deal in the beginning, before being accidentally compromised, about wanting to remain independent and about never wanting to be pregnant. She had a fear, maybe even a phobia, of becoming pregnant, and this plot just kind of faded away.
I would not actively recommend this book, or series, but I also wouldn't actively recommend skipping it.

message 45: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1435 comments I’m reading the Starless Sea by Erin Morganstwrn, it’s published in 2019. I should be finished with it soon.

message 46: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1435 comments Week 1, Sunday Roll: Spot 7
Completion Post

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern
498 pages
Qualification: Published in 2019
Rating: 5 stars

Review: I loved this book a lot more than her first novel "The Night Circus." I started listening to it on audio and that was a mistake. This is not a book that you can fly through, you need to read it slowly because there is a lot of details. I ended up having to go back and reread stuff so that I didn't miss anything.

message 47: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 359 comments Week 1, Sunday Roll: Spot 7
Completion Post

The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7) by Gertrude Chandler Warner
160 pages
#7 in the series
3 stars

I'm pretty sure I read this when I was a kid, but I don't remember any of it. It's interesting to read the older Boxcar Children stories, because they actually are aging throughout the originals, unlike the newer ones, where they are stuck at the ages from the first book. Plus, this one had a very cool bit where they talked about the Revolutionary War.

message 48: by Theo (new)

The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7) by L. Frank Baum
Book: The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Pages: 346
Qualification: #7 in Oz series
Finished: 9/22/2020
Rating: 3 stars
Review: Called The Patchwork Girl of Oz, this book really focuses more on a Munchkin boy named Ojo (sometimes known as The Unlucky). At the beginning of the novel he and his uncle are living alone and running out of food, so they journey to their closest neighbor, the Crooked Magician, who happens to be preparing to bring to life a girl made out of a patchwork quilt. Unfortunately, an accident while she is being brought to life turns the magician's wife and Ojo's uncle into marble statues. The Crooked Magician knows how to unfreeze the statues, but he needs a number of special ingredients, which leads Ojo on a quest around Oz, accompanied by the patchwork girl, Scraps, and others. His journey brings him into contact with all of our favorites from previous Oz books, Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, Ozma, etc. Three stars because after all the journeying, the resolution is quick and basically makes the entire book a waste of time!

message 49: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Week 1, Sunday Roll Team Reviews Post

Library: The Woodshed Mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner (The Boxcar Children #7: Post 47)
Susan A: The Duke's Accidental Wife by Erica Ridley (Dukes of War #7: Post 44)
Suzanne: The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern (Alternate (Published in 2019): Post 46)
Theo: The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum (Oz #7: Post 48)

message 50: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1913 comments Great job everyone! We're all finished with more than 24 hours until our next roll. Now we just have to wait!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6