The Challenge Factory discussion

♦SSS Archives♦ > Round 12: SSS How to Play, Help & Discussion

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5374 comments Mod
SSS

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Board

message 3: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Oct 29, 2020 09:12AM) (new)

ROUND 11: SUPER SPEEDY SERIES CHALLENGE

✸ This is a team challenge that requires 2 books a week . The object of the game is to roll the die and move along the board. To win a team must roll past 100. Teams will roll on Thursdays & Sundays.

✸ R11 Super Speedy Sign Ups are open 09/07 through 09/13. Then teams will be formed and the game will officially start on 09/17.

✸ Team are formed at random.

✸ Teams will roll the die by clicking here on Sundays and Thursdays once their team has completed their reads. Please note you will have to change the dice to ONE die.

Holiday Scheduling:
✸Thanksgiving: Teams will roll the Sunday before (11/22). No roll on Thursday (11/26). Reviews are due and the next roll will be Sunday (11/29) and at this point the game resumes its normal schedule.

**VERY IMPORTANT**
A team CANNOT advance if all the reviews are not complete and in by the deadline. Reviews are due at the latest by end of day on Thursday and Sunday respectively - 11.59pm Central Time. Without a free pass to cover a review still missing by deadline, the team will have to sit out the next roll. That being said, players should have their reviews in on Wednesday (for the Thursday roll) and on Saturday (for the Sunday roll). Your team captain cannot roll until ALL of the team reviews have been posted.

❖If a player fails to have their book done two times throughout the game (excluding a prearranged absence) they will no longer be a part of the team.

✸ Prearranged absence must be requested from the moderator in charge by pm or in your team thread before the team rolls for the period you need to skip.

HOW TO PICK A BOOK:
✸ Books are based on the spot you're on, not the roll of the die.
If you land on single digit spot, for example let's say you land on spot 5, then you have to read a book that's #5 in a series. For double digit numbers, for example you land on spot 48 you can read either a #4 or a #8 in a series.
✸ Standalone books can be used for a 1 or a 0
✸ First in a series can be used for a 1

✸ I don't expect anyone to read a series out of order and for people that don't read series books that still want to play there will be an alternate option. There will be an alternate option for each spot.
✸ Half books: ½ or .5 count only if they meet the page requirement AND will be judged by preceding whole number numeral on Goodreads.
Example: Spot 8: A MacKenzie Clan Gathering (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8.5) would count for spot 8 because it meets the page limit.
✸ Books in multiple series can be used for ANY of the series. An example: Azagoth (1001 Dark Nights, #6; Lords of Deliverance, #5.5; Demonica, #10.5) can be used for spot 6 for 1001 Dark Nights, spot 5 for LoD or spot 10 for Demonica because it meets the page limit.

✸ There will be a separate thread for captains to post their place on the board after rolling and to post a link to the team's completed reviews.

FREE PASS
✸ Teams will have a chance to earn 1 Free Pass to roll. To earn your free pass your team has to complete their reads a day before the next roll. Once your team has done this you will have 1 free pass. The free pass will allow a team to roll if they are missing a review(s) before the cutoff. Once you've used it, you can't earn another one. It's a one-time shot.
NOTE:
✸ The free pass may not be used for the win.
✸ If the player whose review the free pass is covering for has already previously missed a deadline, they must submit the missing review within one day after the deadline if they wish to retain their place on the team.

BONUS POINTS:

✸ One point can be earned for reading three or more books in a series.
✸ One point can be earned for reading a book with >500 pages.
✸ One point can be earned for starting and finishing a series. There must be at least 4 books in that series. Series + spin-off totalling ≥4 books also counts. For series with >9 books, point will be awarded for reading books 1-9. For still ongoing series, all books published to date (OR up to #9 in longer series) must be read.~ No re-reads on this one.
✸ 2 in 1: One point can be earned for reading a book that fits both the series number and the alternate for the spot you are on.
✸ One point can be earned for never picking a book from the alternate lists. This point is awarded when your team rolls past 90.
✸ Halloween Bonus: One point can be earned for reading a Horror/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy book for the roll on 10/29.
NOTE:
✸ Each point can only be earned once per team.
✸ The series-specific bonus points (3 or more books/ starting and finishing a series) must be two different series.
✸ Single book bonuses (>500 pages/ Halloween/ 2 in 1) may overlap with a series bonus.

How to use bonus points:
✸ Bonus points can be added to your roll to move you further along the board. Each bonus point can only be earned once and spent once.
✸ Bonus points may be used for the win. Example: Your team rolls and lands on spot 97. Your team has earned 4 bonus points. You can use your bonus points to move to spot 101 and compete for the win.
✸ You don't have to use all your bonus points at the same time.
✸ You can also use your bonus points earlier in the game. Example: Your team has earned 3 bonus points. Your team rolls and lands on spot 88. A team member doesn't havea book that is either #8 in a series or fits the alternate. They do however have a #9. Your team may decide to use 1 bonus point to move to spot 89 and have 2 bonus points remaining for later use.

✸ Re-reads are allowed ( ~EXCEPT on Winning Spots, no re-reads to win)
✸ Page limit: min. 140 pages
✸ When using an anthology you may use any of the numbers in the book except for the .5 since this means ½. But you must review each story in the anthology. The same applies to short story collections.
✸ Series # will be based on how GR has it listed.
✸ Comics, graphic novels and manga don't count for this challenge
✸ Deadline cutoffs are based on US Central time zone

✸✸✸ Any questions please feel free to ask!

Round 12 SSS Sign Ups

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 10, 2020 08:12AM) (new)

ALTERNATE LIST:
**titles exclude leading articles (a, an, the)

1. Less than 100 ratings
2. Title 'L'
3. Cover Item: Furniture
4. Author 'B'
5. South America
6. Cover: Black
7. Published 2019
8. MC has a pet
9. Cover Item: Lamp/Candle
10. Set in a place you've visited
11. Romance
12. MC has at least one child
13. Set sometime before 1600 AD
14. Cover Item: Jewelry
15. Book that a teammate rated 5 stars
16. Cover: Pink
17. Four or More Words Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
18. MC is older than 60
19. North America
20. Title 'G'
21. Cover Item: Animal
22. Set anytime between 1600-1837
23. Female Author
24. Cover: Green
25. Published 2015-2016
26. Non-Fiction
27. Cover Item: Two or more people
28. Author uses their middle name/initial (e.g. Robert J. Sawyer, Rita Mae Brown)
29. Cover: Red
30. Cover Item: Water
31. Young Adult/New Adult
32. Set in a Fictional Location/Universe
33. Africa
34. Seasonal Theme (i.e Christmas, Halloween etc)
35. Author 'S'
36. GR average rating >4.0
37. Number in the Title (Third Grave Dead Ahead or Every Fifteen Minutes)
38. Originally published in a language other than English
39. School/College/University
40. Cover Item: Food/Drink
41. Title 'E'
42. Cover Item: Weapon
43. Published 2011-2012
44. Author 'M'
45. LGBTQ+
46. Cover: White
47. Published 2001-2010
48. Australia
49. Author 'P'
50. Cover: Blue
51. Published 2017
52. Cover Item: One person
53. Author 'O'
54. Published before 1950
55. Set anytime between 1837-1901
56. One Word Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Witness or Divergent
57. Cover: Yellow/Gold
58. Mystery/Thriller
59. Author H
60. Asia
61. Several authors
62. Author 'R'
63. Award Winner (must state which/when)
64. New to You Author
65. Published 2013-2014
66. Title 'T'
67. Cover Item: Book
68. MC travels by train
69. Title has a subtitle
70. Cover Item: Mode of Transportation
71. Title 'J'
72. Set in the future
73. Cover Item: Hands/Arms/Feet/Legs (no other body parts visible)
74. Book to Movie/TV (must state how book qualifies: listopia, imdb, precis)
75. Male Author
76. Two Word Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) Deadly Silence, The Hunger Games
77. Title 'F'
78. Cover: Purple
79. Debut Novel or Debut Author
80. Author uses a pseudonym
81. Title 'C'
82. Cover Item: Building
83. Published between 1950 and 1999
84. Author 'D'
85. MC is in their 20's
86. Title 'V'
87. Cover Item: Sun/Moon
88. Science Fiction
89. Title 'B'
90. Cover: Orange
91. Published 2018
92. Three Word Title (excludes articles like A, An, The) Behind Closed Doors or Etched in Bone
93. Europe
94. Author 'W'
95. Cover Item: Dress
96. Fantasy
97. Cover Item: Hat/Helmet/Other Headwear
98. Author 'I'
99. MC travels by airplane
100. Author 'L'
101. Four or more Words Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
102. Cover: Brown
103. Published 2020
104. Author 'F'
105. Title 'G'
106. Romance
107. Anthology/Short Stories
108. Cover: Green
109. Title 'N'
110. Favorite Author
111. Author 'Y'

message 5: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:45AM) (new)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

★ You can use any edition of the book you read.
★ Books must be started after your team has rolled.
★ Review posts MUST include the following: Book title, author, cover, how it qualifies for the spot you're on, date finished, rating, review (min. 3 sentences)

Alternates:
★ Publication years: any edition so long as it is published in the given year
★ Cover Colour: must be at least 50% (see guidelines in post below)
★ Cover Item: must have the given item on the cover
★ Locations: book must be set at least partially in the given location
★ Author letters: author's first, middle, or last name must start with the given letter
★ Title letters: first word in the title starts with the given letter, excluding the lead ARTICLE (The, A, An...)

FOR THOSE PLAYING BOTH
★YES, you can use the same book in both challenges.

EXAMPLE OF AN ACCEPTABLE POST

Week 2: Roll 2
Spot: 13
Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1) by Charlie Cochet
Book:
Hell & High Water by Charlie Cochet
Qualification: THIRDS #1
Finished: 11 Jun 2017
Rating: ★★★★

Review:
Testifying against his partner and getting him locked up for murder leaves Detective Dex Daley deserted by his friends and colleagues as well as his boyfriend, a repeat target of violence, and on his way out of the job at the Human Police Force he loves. Instead of fired, however, he is recruited to join the elite Therian-Human Intelligence Recon Defense Squadron (THIRDS), working side by side with shapeshifters as a Defense Agent. Tossed right into the middle of a murder investigation, Dex has to get accustomed to his new situation quickly - and the fact that his new team is still reeling from the loss of one of their own and not at all happy to integrate his replacement really doesn't help. Neither does the fact that Dex's new teamleader may be a jerk, but he's a very attractive one.

These books have been on my TBR for ages, and I'm glad to finally get around to reading them. It took me a while to get into the story, familiarise myself with the universe (I'm really, really not a fan of "let me explain the entirety of my worldbuilding to you textbook-style" prologues, so I was immediately a little dubious about the whole thing), get to know the characters and pick up the terminology, but after a few chapters I was thoroughly hooked. Looking forward to continuing this series.

When using the alternate that involves cover items, colors, or publications years, please be sure to link the correct edition to show how the book qualifies.

message 6: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:46AM) (new)

Guideline for Alternate Category Cover Colour

Cover colour alternates tend to be a little tricky, since it can be very hard to tell whether something is 50% a certain colour. Here's a handy little 3-step guide for figuring out whether your chosen book qualifies.

1) Use your own judgment. If a book cover is quite clearly overwhelmingly the colour in question, you don't need additional verification.

Examples:
Blue: Earth Alone (Earthrise, #1) by Daniel Arenson
Grey: Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey
Yellow: The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

2) When in doubt, you can use this tool TinEye Labs to check a cover. If TinEye confirms your cover is at least 50% the colour in question, go ahead and use it.
Note: You may need to uncheck "Exclude background color from extracted colors" to get a proper result.

Example:
White: Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay (50.3% white according to TinEye)

3) If it's a close call (say, 40-49.9% the right colour according to TinEye), or TinEye gives you a result you vehemently disagree with (apparently it does that sometimes, unfortunately), or you have trouble using the site/ would generally prefer a human opinion, post the book cover in question to the discussion thread and ask me. I reserve the right to overrule TinEye in cases of a close call or dodgy result.

Examples:
Grey: Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews (44.9% grey according to TinEye. I chose to overrule and let the player use it.)
Orange: Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1) by Donna Leon (41.1% orange according to TinEye. I would probably choose to overrule.)

message 7: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

*reserved

Maddielucy(Patti) Hi! Team 1 would like our name to be “Formula 1 Readers”. I will be captain. Thanks! Patti

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 798 comments Hi! I'll be the captain of Team 2. Right now our name is "Team 2".

message 10: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1758 comments Team 3 will be "The Dewey Decimators" and I'm the captain. Thanks!

Maddielucy(Patti) Just to confirm -- I'm rolling at midnight CST?? Or is it tomorrow? Thursday at 11:59? That's what I thought. So confused already lol

message 12: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

You're good to roll now. No worries, you'll get the hang of it in no time. :)

Maddielucy(Patti) Denise wrote: "You're good to roll now. No worries, you'll get the hang of it in no time. :)"

Thanks Denise!!

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 798 comments Team 2 would like to be known as "Love 2 Read". I'll post this in the Post my Spot thread in a bit too :)

Maddielucy(Patti) HI Denise: Team Formula 1 should actually have 3 bonus spots completed. I'm probably posting these wrong, so sorry in advance. Here is the link to the completion post where we (actually, M) earned our 3rd point. Please let me know if I should be doing this differently. Thanks so much! Patti

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 16: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Oct 10, 2020 05:05AM) (new)

Maddielucy(Patti) wrote: "HI Denise: Team Formula 1 should actually have 3 bonus spots completed. I'm probably posting these wrong, so sorry in advance. Here is the link to the completion post where we (actually, M) earned ..."

Sorry, I missed that one! Updating your thread. Thx for letting me know! :)
If you could note it in the post your spot thread when you link your reviews, that'd be great - if I've already seen that all your reviews were in on time, I might not check again when you post the new spot.

message 17: by ☘Misericordia☘ (last edited Oct 11, 2020 05:27AM) (new)

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 364 comments What would an alternate 'Africa' entail?
1) Setting in Africa? 2) Africa mentioned in the book? 3) The author from Africa? 4) Absolutely any African connection? 5) Anything else or all of these?

message 18: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Setting. Doesn't have to be the entire book, but at least part of it must be set somewhere in Africa.
(Same goes for other alternates where it just states a continent, the book must be partially set there.)

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 364 comments Denise wrote: "Setting. Doesn't have to be the entire book, but at least part of it must be set somewhere in Africa.
(Same goes for other alternates where it just states a continent, the book must be partially s..."
Okay, got it. Thanks!

message 20: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 333 comments Would this work for #2 in a series? Of Literature and Lattes. It's a sequel, but not marked as #2.

message 21: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Library wrote: "Would this work for #2 in a series? Of Literature and Lattes. It's a sequel, but not marked as #2."

I'm afraid not. To quote from the rules above:
✸ Series # will be based on how GR has it listed.

message 22: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1758 comments For the Halloween bonus, is that for today's roll (10/29)?

message 23: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

It is! Was I a scatterbrain and put the wrong date in the rules? Sorry about the confusion, will get that fixed once I'm home!

message 24: by ☘Misericordia☘ (last edited Nov 06, 2020 12:41PM) (new)

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 364 comments Hi! I've got a question here: if I read for the full series bonus books 1 (as #1), 2 (as alternative something), 3 (as, say, 3), 4 (as alternative), 5 (as #5) - would that series still count as full series for the bonus point or not?

message 25: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Yes, doesn't matter if you read them for series number or alternate, as long as all books are read as part of the game you can claim the bonus.

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 364 comments Denise wrote: "Yes, doesn't matter if you read them for series number or alternate, as long as all books are read as part of the game you can claim the bonus."Okay, thanks!

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 503 comments for #70 alternate cover item: mode of transportation - my book has a witch riding a broom on the cover - could that be considered a mode of transport?

message 28: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Sure!

message 29: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1622 comments For numbers 100 - 109

What number series work? Does 10 work?

message 30: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Yes. Using 102 as an example, you can break it up either in 1, 0, 2 or in 10, 2. This gives you the options to read a standalone book or #1, #2, or #10 in a series.