Start by marking “Earth Alone (Earthrise, #1)” as Want to Read:
Earth Alone (Earthrise, #1)

Earth Alone

(Earthrise #1)

They came from deep space. They came to destroy us.

Fifty years ago, bloodthirsty aliens devastated the Earth. Most of humanity perished. We fell into darkness.

But now we rise from the ashes. Now we fight back.

Marco Emery was born into the war. After his mother is killed, he joins the Human Defense Force, Earth's ragtag army. Emery must survive basic training, become a s
Published June 17th 2016 by Moonclipse

To ask other readers questions about Earth Alone, please sign up.
Michael Shelton Peter: I didn't look to see if you had reviewed the book yourself, beyond posting your opinion of the book in the form of a question, but If you think…morePeter: I didn't look to see if you had reviewed the book yourself, beyond posting your opinion of the book in the form of a question, but If you think poorly of a story, post an official review yourself. Let other readers and the author know what it was that you didn't like about the story, but remember to be specific. Simply insulting the work does nobody any good. I've developed a very interesting and beneficial relationship with an author whose work I reviewed with a low rating. He then contacted me directly and tanked me for pointing out a problem that no one else thought to let him know about. As a result, he rewrote a small section of his story, republished and now I get a free copy of everything he writes with no expectations of a review (thought I still do it)

Readerone: While a fair comment to make, I disagree and say that you are not as close to the bullseye as you might think. A fair number of books in my collection are review copies. And while I cannot speak for anyone else, I would hazard to guess that a good portion of people who are not directly related to an author, give fair and realistic reviews. Just yesterday, I posted two reviews about books from the same author. Both copies came directly from the author. The first was a "reader magnet" and the second was a freebie to entice a review. Now, because these stories were from an author whose work I already had familiarity with, there should be no surprise that I posted favorable reviews (4 stars each) Favorable because I honestly enjoyed the stories. 4 star because there were a couple issues I had and brought up in my review. In the decades I have been reading and collecting books, I have rarely come across a 5 star book. Not even the Sci-Fi Masters of the early years of pulp fiction got 5 stars from me for every work. A review is, in my opinion, a lose report of what I thought of a book or series, and why. Most of my reviews conclude with me stating if I recommend others read the story, or if it is a less that stellar review, a disclaimer that I have never written a book and am unable to claim that I could do better. But let us not forget, a review of a freebie copy from an author is a deal made between the reviewer and the author. You agree to honestly and fairly review their book on highly trafficked books sites (such as Amazon and Goodreads) in exchange for a copy of the book at no charge. I'm poor, not proud. Anytime someone wants to give me a free book, I will likely take them up on the offer, and if all I have to do is write a short review, I'm down with that. Check out my reviews on Amazon (User name ATLgwm) You'll see that I've left a number of 1 or two star reviews. Free does not equal favorable.

Wow, I didn't realize I felt so strongly about the subject. Sorry for babbling on at you.(less)

Jim
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are a military veteran, I think you’ll be able to associate with this story very, very well. It’s really about a young man and some other young people, who are drafted into the Human Defense Forces (HDF). Notice I wrote, Human Defense Forces, not Earth Defense Forces or Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines. These people are mandatorily drafted upon their 18th year to defend humanity against an evil threat from another galaxy. Fifty years ago, the Scolopendra Titanite, better known as Scum, at ...more
Hollie
I found this to be a tiring read from beginning to end. I think it's one of those "it's just me" things though. I found the storyline and characters to be incredibly too juvenile for my preference. I am a fan of Young Adult dystopia/sci-fi etc. but this one just felt a little too YA for me personally. I did manage to finish it, and I'm glad it was offered as a kindleunlimited, but for me it was a draining and unsatisfying read.
Michael Pang
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reminded me of (in a good way) Starship Troopers.
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books

Read this or listen to the podcast at Book Geeks Uncompromised.

Though the plots may be kinda similar, this is not Ender’s Game. Yeah there are aliens that came to earth and humans went to war with them and humans are now preparing for a huge showdown told in a story that focuses on the main character training for a military career (at least for a few years in the case of Earth Alone). Similarities pretty much end there.

Our main character Marco is a teenager that wants absolutely nothing
Royce Sears
Nov 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
I want to share some positive thoughts about this novel before I go on. I love the level of diversity the author brings to the table. We see a drafted Human Defense Force that is doing its damnedest to protect humanity, and they are drafted from all walks of life. We see folks of differing backgrounds and various nationalities who are working together to accomplish a mission. I love this idea and wish we could see more of it, both in fiction and reality. Now the hard part...

Okay, I'm going to b
Fred
Thankfully it was a fast read because if it was another hundred pages I don't know if I could have hung in there. This is a made for tv version of the first thirty minutes of Starship Troopers. Not Starship Troopers the book, but the movie. Seriously, the influence in this is obvious and blatant. It's like the writer saw the movie one afternoon on the television and thought, "Hey, I can write like that."

The book could be divided up like this -

10% before basic training
80% basic training
10% basi
Scott Holstad
Aug 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Earth Alone had its moments, mostly toward the end, but it seems that many of the recent, new military sci fi novels I’ve been reading lately all seem to be written by authors who feel compelled to prove their military authenticity by being able to write the longest, most detailed, most stereotypical boot camp scenes of all time, and this book is at the top of the list of those types of these books. Essentially, this book is one big boot camp book with a little action thrown in over the last thi ...more
Erin
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia, sci-fi
Do you want to read accounts of all the different ways giant space centipedes can kill people? Do you want to hear current pop culture references even though this book is set 100-200 years in the future? Do you want to hear about how the world is horrible but our teenage boy hero has confusing feelings for three different girls? And one girl is a lesbian but falls in love and sleeps with him anyway because he's special? Yeah, neither did I. Guess I don't have to hunt down the rest of the series.
Maciek
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Military boot camp style book with some sci-fi notion, but more in young adult style. Characters are kids with their problems, a bit of action happens only near the end.
Earth is devastated with over half population killed decades ago and is still being invaded but somehow is also fighting aliens in their system with almost instant communication, yet neither side is willing to do a final blow.
Ryan Mueller
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is a difficult one for me to rate. I'm a fan of Arenson's fantasy. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's fun to read.

This one started out really well with an exciting alien invasion scene. Then it jumped ahead a few years to when the main character joins the military. Based on the cover, I was expecting all kinds of space battles and alien-killing action. Instead, I got a story about boot camp. It took me a while to adjust to this change in the story. I never quite enjoyed the boot cam
Brooklyn Ann
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface this by saying that I normally dislike both sci-fi and military stories. However, I LOVED this one!

It reminded me a lot of Full Metal Jacket, one of the few military films that I like. The sci fi twist made it even better.

I am a huge fan of character driven stories, and that is a big reason why Earth Alone grabbed me. The careful building of the characters made me more invested in them with every page.

Other bonuses include a diverse cast of various genders, world cultures, religi
Dennis Key
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
OK

This is an OK read and I'll read more of the series. A few things bother me a bit. The soldiers weapons, unlike every semi/full automatic firearm, does not lock open after firing the last round. Not only does the soldier have no idea when his or her magazine is empty or down to the last bullet but the safety concerns are off the chart. An accident looking for a place to happen. Also, "craft" is one of those words spelled the same whether singular or plural. One spacecraft, a fleet of spacecraf
Brittany Willows
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book as a gift from a friend, and I am so so happy I did.

Daniel has woven an intricate science fiction world with unique aliens and an excellent cast of characters who will grab you by the heart and refuse to let go. The best way I can think to describe his writing style is silky. It flows like water across the page -- flawless, crystal clear. I love it. And though I found the dialogue a bit silly at times, it didn't take away from my enjoyment. I was completely engross
Mick Bird
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting start

In this the first book of his series, Daniel introduced us to a young man who sees his mother attacked and killed. We follow him as he and his sister are drafted into the army to fight the alien forces. Their training is hard, but it will need to be, as we will see. The enemy attacks and they lose friends in the battle, but now they will look at taking the war to the enemy.
Sebastian
Feb 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Thin characters and a weak plot

I wanted to like this book, but it's hard. The characters were paper thin, and the author felt the need to tell their backstory every time they came on the page. Not to mention that the plot was almost scene-for-scene a retelling of Starship Troopers. This was one I couldn't get behind. I prefer something with more originality. I won't be continuing the series.
M60601
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I DNF'd this at 58%. The juvenille characters and lack of depth to the story just drove me bonkers.

This story has what I call "pseudo-harem" . Pseudo-harem is when a male character (generally the main) creates non-platonic relationships with several females (3+) with the story building that this male could end up dating/marrying any of these females. This became very apparent when every female character who was given attention to became one where the main character, Mason, would feel affection
Alexia Purdy
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great start to what I know is going to be an addictive, action-packed and thrilling series. The storytelling is fluid, starting at the beginning where the main character Marco loses his mother. Everything revolves around the Alien "Scum" attacks and no one can live a life free of this constant threat. Plus, everyone must serve in the HDF once they're of age, a requirement that sends Marco into a bundle of nerves. The longing these characters feel for home is real. Each of his friends he m ...more
Denise
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, read-2018
Eh. What is this cliché-laden mess? The worldbuilding, what little there is of it, makes no sense, the characters are walking, talking stereotypes with little to no depth, and about 80% of the book consists of a bunch of teenage morons in bootcamp with loads of bullying, sexism, trash-talk, characters having random "woe is me, hear my tragic backstory" moments, and absolutely nothing of interest happening. Oh, and the roooomance. Because apparently the protagonist is such a stud that half the fe ...more
D. E.
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A DA SYFY Novel Of Intergalatic War/Humans vs Worms

DA has penned a SYFY novel about an Alien Species attacking Earth. They can me from space and attacked the humans of Earth. They destroyed 2/3 rds of the human race before They began to attempt to eat the remaining third. The humans of Earth retaliated and attacked the World home world. This is an excellent read for the genre.....DEHS
Jason
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first in a rather epic series, but don’t be daunted. Arenson has a lovely free flowing style that is very easy to read (or listen to), making this a thoroughly enjoyable book to just immerse yourself in.
The story follows Marco Emery, at the start, he is a young child who is traumatised by the death of his mother right in front of him by an alien invasion of a species called the Scum.
50yrs ago, the Scum came to Earth and decimated the Earth, wiping out over 60% of the population, un
Heather
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The entire book is about Marco (who would rather be a librarian and a writer), Addy (his adopted sister), the new people they meet, and how they all (or most) survive basic training. From latrine cleaning to weapons training it’s all there. 60% of the world’s population is gone thanks to giant centipede-like aliens, and it’s crucial that the military turn out tough troops ready for what’s ahead.

I wouldn’t say the characters are the most three-dimensional I’ve ever seen, but they do have depth to
Martin
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I normally don't read much science fiction, but the cover for Earth Alone drew my attention immediately so I picked up the Kindle version when it was released. The book is a quick and enjoyable read that introduces the reader to a small cast of characters just beginning their galaxy-wide struggles against an alien foe. Daniel's descriptions of boot camp and combat, and the camaraderie developed by those who have shared that experience really came across the page for me. I am looking forward the ...more
Kendra
Originally received for free by the author in exchange for an honest review, but I enjoyed it enough to purchase. It does have the feel of Starship Troopers, but much more focused on the characters as people, thoughts, personalities, etc. Easy to slip into the story, kind of a fun read, and held my attention while the story flew. Well done, and I cannot wait to see the next book and where the author is going to go with the story line!
J. Slater
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's difficult to write a military boot camp story. Between the instructors, fellow trainees and the overall reason for the draft, the emotions, interactions, and motivations are exponential. Mr. Arenson does a great job telling the story of one person's experience. Plus, it has an exciting ending. Never a bad thing in this type of novel.
Tamer Sadek
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
My first impressions were right - this is a poor man's Starship Troopers (and no, I don't mean the film). Two things redeem it. First, the last 5 chapters are very well done. Secondly, the main character is actually well done as well. The rest of the characters are straight out of boot camp cliche 101. I will probably read Book 2 but not for £2.99. 2.5 stars.
Dennis3434
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Started off a little bumpy, but as story progressed and characters developed it became a pleasant journey. Very much a tip of the hat to war school type sci fi that has come before, but I enjoyed it and will certainly read the sequel.
Gary E O'Hara
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good story

I really enjoyed the characters and the story in this novel. The only complaint I have is that the story is continued in the next book otherwise it would be 5 stars. Very interesting and different story.
Devon Smith
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait for the next book to come out. This book is sad and exciting all at the same time and it will suck you in from the first chapter.
Franklin  Hummel
There are SPOILERS in these reviews. Read these anyway! This is NOT a series I would want any other science fiction fan to read. You do NOT want to read it if you are a SF fan.

READ THESE SPOILERS AND BE WARNED!
==========

EARTH ALONE - BOOK #1

This novel is almost all cliché. It is the basic fish-out-of-war who ends up being drafted into the military. It deals with his training and those he trains with.

This is also one of those novels where the science fiction in just a prop. The SF aspects adds l
Dubi Kanengisser
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian, scifi
Well that was bad.

This is a 300 page description of basic training in the late 20th century, specifically in the Israel Defense Force, with a thin veneer of sci fi back story that makes no sense.
I wasn't sure that it was IDF based, but so many things were a bit too much on the nose - the ranks, the slang (whorehouse), the catch phrases (the harder the training the easier the combat). I ended up googling the author, and sure enough, it's an Israeli who did his military service in the late 1990s/e
  • First Conquest (Stellar Conquest, #1)
  • Operation Spider Web (MP-5 CIA Thriller #3)
  • The Chaos Chronicles, Books 1-3 (Chaos Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Stress-Proof Your Life (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • Licensed to Thrill: Volume 1 (Hunt For Reacher, #1-3)
  • A Dark Imbalance (Evergence, #3)
  • Save Me, Santa
  • Flight To Mars (Mission, #1)
  • The Future Chronicles: Special Edition  (The Future Chronicles)
  • Horns of Power: Manifestations of the Horned God
  • Comes the Dark Stranger
  • The A.I. Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Abyss Deep (Star Corpsman, #2)
  • Sins of a Sovereignty (Amernia Fallen, #1)
  • The Terran Gambit (Episode #1: The Pax Humana Saga)
  • Merlin's Mirror
  • His Devious Angel (Angels with Attitude, #2)
  • Fallen (Leopold Blake Thriller #5)
Daniel Arenson is a bookworm, proud geek, and USA Today bestselling author of fantasy and science fiction. His novels have sold over a million copies. The Huffington Post has called his writing "full of soul." He's written over forty novels, most of them in five series:

EARTHRISE — They came from deep space. They came to destroy us. Against the alien onslaught, Earth stands alone. But we will figh

Earthrise (9 books)
  • Earth Lost (Earthrise, #2)
  • Earth Rising (Earthrise, #3)
  • Earth Fire (Earthrise, #4)
  • Earth Shadows (Earthrise, #5)
  • Earth Valor (Earthrise, #6)
  • Earth Reborn (Earthrise, #7)
  • Earth Honor (Earthrise, #8)
  • Earth Eternal (Earthrise, #9)
“he never judged people by their looks, preferring to judge them based on their taste in music and literature like a civilized person.” 0 likes
“They stared at their phones and listened to their headpieces and looked through their glasses of augmented reality, and mostly they forgot. Forgot what it meant to be human. To” 0 likes