What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Ice Road
This topic is about The Ice Road
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fiction - Siege of Leningrad. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lee | 4 comments When I was in high school (now aged 51) we were required to read a novel for English set during the siege of Leningrad. I can't recall much about it now, but, given that I read it in about 1982 or 83, it must have been well known enough to be set as an English class text. So, it was probably written in the 1970's, at a guess, and there can't have been that many historical novels set in WW2 Leningrad at that time. I think it was YA but it dealt with death from starvation and all sorts of grim themes. I recall that one of the characters was called 'Olga Petrolga' or something like that. Does anyone know how I might track it down?

message 2: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments Did it deal with anything else or was the Siege of Leningrad the primary focus of the novel?

I know City of Thieves but that is a recent release.

My only other thing I can think of is the film "Come and See"which is based on the book "I am from the Fiery Village" which I can only find in Russian and I think this is the link for it: Я из огненной деревни... Блокадная книга

The author is Ales Adamovich

message 3: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments Found an English version: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lee | 4 comments Thanks for that. As far as I can recall it was all set in Leningrad and followed some kids or teenagers as the food shortages started and the cold set in. It was only about the siege as far as I remember. I don't think it was the Russian book you suggested as the one I read was a novel - that one seems like biographical and historical accounts of events.

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lee | 4 comments That's a really good option! Thank you. It looks like it was published in english in 1972 so that would fit with the timeframe of me reading it in around 1982 or 83. I'll find a copy of it and have a look to see if that's it. But you might have done it!

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16953 comments Fingers crossed!

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lee | 4 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Fingers crossed!"

I think you've found it! I found a copy on Archive.org and did a search, sure enough, there is a character called Olga Petrovna. So, that's it, that's the book I was after. Interestingly when I looked at the book, it was published in english in 1970 and was also called 'The Ice Road', which rang a bell.
How about that for quality service - book identified within hours.
Cheers!

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16953 comments Awesome, glad that turned out to be the right one!

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34456 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Christopher.

Also: The Ice Road by Jaap ter Haar

message 11: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments Two people were looking for the same idea of a book and both are by the same author, that is so weird.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 245 comments Blue wrote: "Two people were looking for the same idea of a book and both are by the same author, that is so weird."

Happens more often than you'd think!