Play Book Tag discussion

September 2020: Psychological > Recursion by Blake Crouch - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Sep 08, 2020 04:23PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments **Poll Ballot**

This audio has two narrators that are perfect for the two main characters. The story starts with Barry Sutton in the present time. He is a NYC Detective who tries to save a woman determined to commit suicide. She suffering from something called FMS (false memory syndrome). He feels the need to look into this further and it gets a bit confusing as to whether this FMS that is affecting people is something other than a disease.

Then the voice on the audio changes to a female one and we are introduced to Helena Smith a brilliant scientist who wants to understand how to save memories. She's always been fascinated by memory but more so because her mother is descending into Alzheimer's. What she discovers is much more than a way to preserve memories.

The story goes back and forth until, as the reader expects, the two meet. The book is very much a thriller with Barry and Helena racing against time. Years ago, I read Replay and, although this is a completely different story, I couldn't help but remember that book. The book is a mix of memories and time travel and, like other time travel books, there can be confusion. I'm thinking of another book The Time Traveler's Wife. This book, though, has a heavy dose of science rather than purely fantasy.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3031 comments I loved reading this in print, but I can imagine the audio could be quite thrilling with the right narrators.

message 3: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1903 comments I have owned this for ages but never seem to get to it, despite great reviews. I might see if I can fit in another audio..........

message 4: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Very nice review. :-)

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I just flew through a chunk of this tonight. It is so good!

message 6: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments This is an exciting book. Like other time travel books, the loops get a little out of control, but here the tension was intense. Great book.