Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

CURRENTLY READING > The best book I read in August (2020)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 135 comments Mod
Did you wrap up your summer with some great middle grade reads? It's time to share your favorites from August. What books will you recommend to the group?

While I didn't do a whole lot of reading last month, I managed to grab good books. The Accidental Afterlife of Thomas Marsden by Emma Trevayne is an intriguing twist on changeling lore. Grave robbers, anyone? I finally got around to reading The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser brings together family and community in heartwarming ways. Un Lun Dun by China Miéville is a portal story that intentionally breaks all the usual rules for adventuring. Whereas Wildwood by Colin Meloy offers a more traditional portal adventure.

The Accidental Afterlife of Thomas Marsden by Emma Trevayne The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (The Vanderbeekers, #1) by Karina Yan Glaser Un Lun Dun by China Miéville Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #1) by Colin Meloy

message 2: by Camille (new)

Camille Caliman (camillecalimanauthor) | 16 comments Just like you C.J., I didn't read many books. However, the ones I did read were good. I read Swing it, Sunny by Jennifer L. Holm and I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf by Grant Snyder. Swing it, Sunny was a good sequel to the first book and I have the next book close at hand. And even though I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf isn't a middle grade read, it is a wonderful read for authors who are also avid readers.

I was about to mention Crumbled! by Lisa Harkrader but then I realized I finished it early this month. XD

message 3: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1424 comments Mod
I started reading a bit more as things settled down in my topsy-turvy life. Mind you, I have a lot of books to catch up on my Goodreads target - usually I'm ahead of the game, this year I'm five behind schedule!

My best MG book was A Pony for Quarantine.

This short book about a girl and her pony are absolutely spot on for these times. Author Clare O'Beara has just released another about a boy who takes on a dog from his seriously ill neighbour. I'll probably review them as a pair in October.

message 4: by Louie (new)

Louie | 73 comments My favorite reads of last month are, a well developed character centric contemporary, Something to Say by Lisa Moore Ramee, an extremely funny and fantastical graphic novel, Making Friends by Kristen Gudsnuk, a compelling futuristic feeling tale, Shuri: A Black Panther Novel by Nic Stone, and a lovely journey back to Prince Edward Island through the eyes of one of my all-time favorite literary characters, Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery.

Something to Say by Lisa Moore Ramée Making Friends (Making Friends, #1) by Kristen Gudsnuk Shuri A Black Panther Novel (Marvel) by Nic Stone Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4) by L.M. Montgomery

message 5: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 96 comments I reread a fabulous book by Gary Paulson: Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day. Best of my first time reads was Greetings from Witness Protection! by Jake Burt.

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 332 comments The best book I read in August (and I sure wish that I had encountered this as a child) is Rascal, and I really love how the ending does not have the pet raccoon dying or needing to be shot, but that Rascal is just returned to the wild.

I also read a Canadian themed fictional diary novel I have had on my to-read list for aeons. But while I found Mable Riley: A Reliable Record of Humdrum, Peril, and Romance interesting enough and that Mable as a first person narrator also started to slowly grow on me, I did find that until about half way through Mable’s musings, she was actually quite annoying and much too self centred. And thus, my reading experience has certainly been tainted a bit by how I at first rather massively despised Mable (and yes, until Mable becomes more mature and less full of herself, I was actually even toying with giving up on Mable Riley: A Reliable Record of Humdrum, Peril, and Romance).

message 7: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 312 comments My favourite read in Aug was Song for a Whale. This is a lovely heart-warming tale about a deaf girl and her determination to communicate with an unusual whale. I didn’t know sign language has its unique way for doing poetry.

In a mainstream school, a deaf girl wants to communicate with a lonely whale three thousand miles away. When her parents do not support her travel to the whale sanctuary, Iris decides to find her own way there.