Start by marking “Greetings from Witness Protection!” as Want to Read:
Greetings from Witness Protection!

Greetings from Witness Protection!

A funny and poignant debut middle-grade novel about a foster-care girl who is placed with a family in the witness protection program, and finds that hiding in plain sight is complicated and dangerous.
Nicki Demere is an orphan and a pickpocket. She also happens to be the U.S. Marshals’ best bet to keep a family alive. . . .

The marshals are looking for the perfect girl to jo
Published October 3rd 2017 by Feiwel Friends

To ask other readers questions about Greetings from Witness Protection!, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jake Burt Great question! The person calling is Arturo. He's using his phone to see if his potential victims are indeed inside the house. When Nicki answers,…moreGreat question! The person calling is Arturo. He's using his phone to see if his potential victims are indeed inside the house. When Nicki answers, she inadvertently confirms that they are at home. So when Arturo speaks in Italian, he's not delivering a message to Nicki - he's telling his associates, who are listening to the call, that he knows his sister and her family are at home...that is, he can proceed with his plan.(less)

Jen
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bump.

Bumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbump!!!

It's out THIS MONTH!!!! Buy it, read it, love it, give it to all of your friends and family!!!

AND the MOST exciting part?!?!

(Whispers so the Universe won't take it away.) The author is coming to my store for a signing in December!!!!1!!!'wncdyvfhjb!!!!!

#diesfangirling

Original review below this point. :)

Let me tell you a little story. While researching who was going to be doing book signings at BookExpo 2017, I noticed this book. It sounded interesting, so I wr
Colby Sharp
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2017-nerdy, mg-novel
I loved this book. Charlotte, that is not her real name......, is one of my favorite characters of 2017. Readers are going to fall in love with this family!
Donalyn
The audio production was fabulous.
Nic Stone
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'd been looking forward to this book since I first least about it in fall 2016, and it did not disappoint. Nicki Demere, a group home occupying orphan with legitimate (and super well-drawn, if you ask me) kleptomania that manifests as pickpocketing, life is forever changed when she finds out she's been chosen for a special program that will pair her with a family in witness protection as an extra child, which will supposedly make said family more difficult to find... but the family Nicki's plac ...more
Kate Willis
Apr 29, 2018 marked it as unfinished
Shelves: cover-love
I hesitate to write reviews of books I have not finished, because you never know if the book really does turn out to be amazing without finishing it. So please be sure to read some positive reviews as well! This is just my personal opinion of the book. ;)

(view spoiler)
Ms. Yingling
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Netgalley

New York City kid Nicki has been in foster care since the death of her grandmother, who taught her how to be a pickpocket. It's been hard to find a permanent place with her background and attitude, so she's a bit surprised when she is approached by the marshalls of the Witness Protection Program to join a family. Her father has been released from jail but has never come back to claim her, which helps her make her decision. Not only would she join the Sicurezzas, but they woul
Anna Priemaza
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
What do you get when you take a thirteen year old girl with kleptomania out of foster care, give her a Taser and a new name, and put her in witness protection with a family that the mob is after? Heartfelt wonderfulness! Hilarity! Suspense! Much Tasering!

I've been looking forward to GREETINGS FROM WITNESS PROTECTION! for a long time, and it did not disappoint. It had everything I wanted it to--heart, much humour, a female best friend who's a pro gamer--and more.

For me, the very best part of thi
Margie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute, quick read for tweens on up. You won't want to put this book down as you read about a family in witness protection. To help keep the family safe, a streetwise girl is added to the family as their daughter. A few weepy parts, funny parts and an end with a twist. Deserves all five stars and maybe a little extra.
Katie  Hanna
DNF. There were simply too many details for me to grasp. This doesn't mean it's a badly-written story, at all; just, you know me . . . my brain doesn't Do Details.

If you like middle-grade adventure stories, and crime fiction, you might really enjoy this. (My mom liked it :) )
Jen Petro-Roy
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So great. Suspenseful, poignant, and so heartfelt.
Lilla
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Middle grade fiction at its best. Burt's novel combines incredible characters with an underlying tension that's carried throughout the novel. (Can't help but love a book set in NC too!) I can see this book shared constantly in a classroom. Maybe I've found my next read loud?
Lora Fountain
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! The main character is feisty but still appealing, and the Relationship with the new family is believable - especially the Relationship with the "younger brother". Highly recommended!
Wendi Lee
Nicki's had a hard life. Her father went to prison when she was little, and she was placed into foster care after the death of her grandmother. She's used to a transient lifestyle, and deals with anxiety by pick-pocketing. So she might sound like an unlikely candidate for what the US Marshals call 'Project Family.' Or maybe she's exactly what they're looking for!

The Trevor family is in the Witness Protection after testifying against a powerful crime syndicate. Nicki's job is to blend in as part
Rebecca
*still deciding if it's a 4 or 5 star read*
Josiphine/Tessa
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jolly-good
3.5
This was fun! I do really enjoy books about the witness protection program, and this one did not disappoint. Some of the dialogue was really cringey and I had to suspend my belief a little bit but overall this book was a good time.
Kate Olson
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A completely unique and heartwarming middle school adventure story, GREETINGS FROM WITNESS PROTECTION will keep readers on the edge of their seats as they laugh and (almost) cry with Nicki...I mean, Charlotte.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a review copy of this title - all opinions are my own

Jake Burt has taken the witness protection storyline that we have seen pretty regularly in adult fiction and television/movies and added a perfect twist for the early teen market. Take a c
Elza B
Thank you, School Library Journal, for sending an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to read Greetings from Witness Protection! ever since I saw it featured in a webinar about upcoming middle grade titles and was thrilled when a box arrived at my library from School Library Journal with this book inside. I'm pleased to say the book did not disappoint.

I loved Nicki (or Charlotte) as a character, and I loved her story. Not only does she have a big role in keeping her adopted family sa
Maggie Carr
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! For YA, it has everything: a broad spectrum of emotions, family and friend dynamics, mystery, physical and cyber violence and an inside look at Witness Protection. When published, I'm sure to tell many about this awesome fiction debut title!
Meenu S
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG it was an amazing book. It was an absolutely addicting and I loved it. It had me on the edge of my seat.
LeeAnne
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to get a copy of this book for every new student that comes in the middle of the year and just slide it onto their desks! This was so fun with just a touch of drama and OH MY GOSH!

Nicki, or Charlotte for most of the book, is in the foster system because her mom took off, her dad is in jail, and her grandma died. She's been in and out of good and not-so-good homes due to a little problem with her stealing. We meet her when she has just returned to the group home.

She's quickly taken away
Kristen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A student purchased this at our Book Fair and brought it back the following Monday and requested (well, demanded) that I read it because it was great. I was a little reluctant since my TBR pile is ridiculous, but it's hard to say no to a young bookworm.

AND HE WAS RIGHT! It was great! Charlotte is smart and brave and funny (I laughed at loud several times at her quick wit, particularly when dealing with the Marshals). I love the foster-kid-finds-her-place story-line, and kids will love the exciti
Karen
The audiobook production is so good, I bought my own copy.
Susan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to @kidlitexchange network for sharing this book for review. All opinions are my own.

Nikki (Charlotte) has never known her mother, her dad’s in prison and her grammy has died so she’s in “the system”. So far she has bounced from foster home to foster home with five stops along the way. She also has another problem. When she is nervous she picks the pocket of anyone within arm’s length. She just can’t help herself! But suddenly she is given an unexpected choice - remain at the childre
Cheyenne
*I received a free copy from a Goodreads giveaway.

The author, Jake Burt, could not have penned a better debut book than this one. I mean this was a really, really great book to read. It was suspenseful, it was touching, it portrayed serious subject matter in a light way for kids to grasp, it was humorous, it was amazing. This book is a great addition to the MG (Middle-Grade) genre. I hope the book, and author, gets their due.

The book is about a young girl who was taught that her hands are her tr
Mary Sanchez
Thirteen-year-old Nicki Demere continues to live in a group home because she can't seem to "stick" with foster families where she's been placed, possibly due to the shoplifting she learned from her dead grandma.

The U.S. marshals enter the scene and ask Nickie to consider being the girl in a family that is in the Witness Protection Program. The family of three is hiding from the mother's Mob like family, and having an additional child may thwart the criminals. Nicki accepts the challenge, especi
Laura Gardner
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 for Greetings from Witness Protection by #jakeburt, which I finished in less than a day.
_*_*_*_*_*
Nicki has spent much of her childhood in foster care, but her newest family is unconventional—she’s being asked to go undercover with a family in witness protection! Nicki, now Charlotte, must protect her new family at all costs, but secrets from her past may come back to haunt her...
_*_*_*_*_*
This book is addictive! I just love Nicki/Charlotte, flaws and all. She’s incr
Trin
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
With this type of book, so much of it hangs on whether you buy the voice or not. I didn't. Nicki/Charlotte didn't seem like a real person to me -- certainly not a product of a traumatic childhood and dozens of foster homes, and not like a 13-year-old girl, either. The other teenagers didn't seem like teenagers and the mobsters resembled only the most cartoonish of mobsters.

A passage that stuck out to me: Charlotte and her friend are at the mall, and three Mean Girls emerge from a Delia*s to torm
Caitlin Christensen
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
If you are looking for a FANTASTIC middle grade read to end your year with, this is a great choice! It’s a heartwarming adventure story that involves kleptomania, witness protection, nerdy gamer friends, a deadbeat dad, and all the trappings that truly make family family.

Nicki Demere is an orphan with quick fingers she knows how to use. But when she gets pegged to help save a family in witness protection by joining them in hiding, her life gets turned upside down. She may just be getting a real
Jo
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Jake Burt hits it out of the ball park with this one. It's rated for middle schoolers, but I have grandchildren and I savored every page.

Although the plot is a little farfetched, it has that plausibility that makes us believe that the feds could really initiate such a program (after all, they've done dumber things, right?). And Nicki's character is dead on, yearning for a real family and protecting herself with a sarcastic shell.

This is one to buy for your kids, your grandkids, or as a gift for
Amy
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Take one angsty, foster-fail adolescent kleptomaniac and add in the Witness Protection Program and weaponry, stir gently and serve this book up to everyone you know who likes a good plot and generous humor.

Having been returned to a foster facility yet again, Nicki Demere is ready to be part of a family for good. When the opportunity to help hide a family in plain sight is offered, she becomes an integral part of the plan. Along the way meet her sulky brother, her new BFF, who is also a gamer of
  • The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade
  • Garvey's Choice
  • Front Desk
  • The Losers Club
  • After Zero
Jake Burt is an author of middle grade fiction and a 5th grade teacher. He lives in Connecticut, plays the banjo, and enjoys ultimate frisbee. He has yet to meet a rabbit hole he won't go down.