Catch-22
This topic is about Catch-22
Book Discussions > Catch 22

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
September's book Catch-22

This is a new one for me so I'm interested to see how much I like it. I've heard mixed reviews.

Who's read it, going to read it etc?

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I am in to read Catch-22. I just got it from my library today...in the snow...yes snow in Colorado. Thanks for posting...cheers...

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (flychickadee) | 70 comments Putting it on hold right now, not sure if it'll be ready in September, but if so, I'll participate :)

message 4: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I read this one a few years ago. I just didnt get into it really. It was sort of interesting, but just not enough was going on for me.

message 5: by Elba (last edited Sep 26, 2020 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I finished Catch-22 a few days ago. At first I was a bit lost as the events present in a non linear fashion, but then I hit my stride. The circular puns and jokes on bureaucracy during WWII had me laughing out loud. All the different episodes were very amusing, but also very heartbreaking. Women in the novel do not fare well and there were many uncomfortable moments as a female reader. Overall it is a very funny novel, but the satire gets tiresome in the event of the tragic events. It has a good ending... Glad to have had you guys reading along too.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim (flychickadee) | 70 comments Elba wrote: "I finished Catch-22 a few days ago. At first I was a bit lost as the events present in a non linear fashion, but then I hit my stride. The circular puns and jokes on bureaucracy during WWII had me ..."

Did you do the audio or written version? The audio just became available to me at the lib, but I'm trying to figure out if I want to commit to that or wait for the written version.

*k

message 7: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
I tried. I couldn't get into it. I dunno maybe I have to try again. anyone else have this problem??

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Kim wrote: "Elba wrote: "I finished Catch-22 a few days ago. At first I was a bit lost as the events present in a non linear fashion, but then I hit my stride. The circular puns and jokes on bureaucracy during..." There is an audio version on youtube. It is very well done and it's free. I followed along with my book. It made it way more interesting and once I was engaged about 200 pages I just read it. I highly recommend trying the audio. It is worth the read/listen as it such a unique book. It's Mel Brooks on acid...the puns and jokes never let up and the characters themselves have funny names.

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Holly wrote: "I tried. I couldn't get into it. I dunno maybe I have to try again. anyone else have this problem??"
I have tried so many times and just could not get into it. I finally just made the GG book club commitment and I youtube the free audio which was very well done and followed along for about 200 pages. Then I got into it and just read it. I am interested to watch the Hulu adaptation. Have you watch that?

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (flychickadee) | 70 comments Elba wrote: "Holly wrote: "I tried. I couldn't get into it. I dunno maybe I have to try again. anyone else have this problem??"
I have tried so many times and just could not get into it. I finally just made the..."

I haven't but I'm going to look into it! I don't have Hulu, so I didn't even know that existed :D

message 11: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Holly, I couldnt get into it either. I read the whole thing years ago but I kinda blocked it out.

message 12: by Ms. B (last edited Sep 27, 2020 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ms. B | 12 comments I finished it. I can't say I enjoyed it immensely but I am proud of myself for sticking with it for this month's challenge. I enjoyed the satire, yet tired of keeping track of the many characters. Elba's suggestion to try the audio sounds like a good one.