The Challenge Factory discussion

♦SS Archives♦ > Round 12: SS How to Play, Help & Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5575 comments Mod
SS

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:08AM) (new)

Board

message 3: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:38AM) (new)

ROUND 12: SUPER SERIES CHALLENGE

✸ This is a team challenge that requires 1 book a week . The object of the game is to roll the dice and move along the board. To win a team must roll past 100. Teams will roll on Fridays.

✸ R12 Super Series Sign Ups are open 09/07 through 09/13. Then teams will be formed and the game will officially start on 09/18.

✸ Team are formed at random.

✸ Teams will roll the dice by clicking here on Fridays once their team has completed their reads. Please note you will be using two dice for each roll.

Holiday Scheduling:
✸Thanksgiving: The game continues as normal through Thanksgiving (11/26). If you need to take the Thanksgiving week off because you'll be too busy to read, request a prearranged absence before your team rolls for that week.

**VERY IMPORTANT**
A team CANNOT advance if all the reviews are not complete and in by the deadline. Reviews are due at the latest by end of day on Friday - 11.59pm Central Time. Without a free pass to cover a review still missing by deadline, the team will have to sit out the next roll. That being said, players should have their reviews in on Thursday as your team captain cannot roll until ALL of the team reviews have been posted.

❖If a player fails to have their book done two times throughout the game (excluding a prearranged absence) they will no longer be a part of the team.

✸ Prearranged absence must be requested from the moderator in charge by pm or in your team thread before the team rolls for the week you need to skip.

HOW TO PICK A BOOK:
✸ Books are based on the spot you're on, not the roll of the die.
If you land on single digit spot, for example let's say you land on spot 5, then you have to read a book that's #5 in a series. For double digit numbers, for example you land on spot 48, you can read either a #4 or a #8 in a series.
✸ Standalone books can be used for a 1 or a 0
✸ First in a series can be used for a 1

✸ I don't expect anyone to read a series out of order and for people that don't read series books that still want to play there will be an alternate option. There will be an alternate option for each spot.
✸Half books: ½ or .5 count only if they meet the page requirement AND will be judged by preceding whole number numeral on Goodreads.
Example: Spot 8: A MacKenzie Clan Gathering (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8.5) would count for spot 8 because it meets the page limit.
✸ Books in multiple series can be used for ANY of the series. An example: Azagoth (1001 Dark Nights, #6; Lords of Deliverance, #5.5; Demonica, #10.5) can be used for spot 6 for 1001 Dark Nights, spot 5 for LoD or spot 10 for Demonica because it meets the page limit.

✸ There will be a separate thread for captains to post their place on the board after rolling and a link to the team's completed reviews.

FREE PASS
✸ Teams will have a chance to earn 1 Free Pass to roll. To earn your free pass your team has to complete their reads a day before the next roll (i.e. 11:59pm Thursday). Once your team has done this you will have 1 free pass. The free pass will allow a team to roll if they are missing a review(s) before the cutoff. Once you've used it, you can't earn another one. It's a one-time shot. NOTE:
✸ The free pass may not be used for the win.
✸ If the player whose review the free pass is covering for has already previously missed a deadline, they must submit the missing review within one day after the deadline if they wish to retain their place on the team.

BONUS POINTS:

✸ One point can be earned for reading three or more books in a series.
✸ One point can be earned for reading a book with >500 pages.
✸ One point can be earned for starting and finishing a series. There must be at least 4 books in that series. Series + spin-off totalling ≥4 books also counts. For series with >9 books, point will be awarded for reading books 1-9. For still ongoing series, all books published to date (OR up to #9 in longer series) must be read.~ No re-reads on this one.
✸ 2 in 1: One point can be earned for reading a book that fits both the series number and the alternate for the spot you are on.
✸ One point can be earned for never picking a book from the alternate lists. This point is awarded when your team rolls past 90.
✸ Halloween Bonus: One point can be earned for reading a Horror/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy book for the roll on 10/30.
NOTE:
✸ Each point can only be earned once per team.
✸ The series-specific bonus points (3 or more books/ starting and finishing a series) must be two different series.
✸ Single book bonuses (>500 pages/ Halloween/ 2 in 1) may overlap with a series bonus.

How to use bonus points:
✸ Bonus points can be added to your roll to move you further along the board. Each bonus point can only be earned once and spent once.
✸ Bonus points may be used for the win. Example: Your team rolls and lands on spot 97. Your team has earned 4 bonus points. You can use your bonus points to move to spot 101 and compete for the win.
✸ You don't have to use all your bonus points at the same time.
✸ You can also use your bonus points earlier in the game. Example: Your team has earned 3 bonus points. Your team rolls and lands on spot 88. A team member doesn't have a book that is either #8 in a series or fits the alternate. They do however have a #9. Your team may decide to use 1 bonus point to move to spot 89 and have 2 bonus points remaining for later use.

✸ Re-reads are allowed ( ~EXCEPT on Winning Spots, no re-reads to win)
✸ Page limit: min. 140 pages
✸ When using an anthology you may use any of the numbers in the book except for the .5 since this means ½. But you must review each story in the anthology. The same applies to short story collections.
✸ Series # will be based on how GR has it listed.
✸ Comics, graphic novels and manga don't count for this challenge
✸ Deadline cutoffs are based on US Central time zone

✸✸✸ Any questions please feel free to ask!

Round 12 SS Sign Ups

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 10, 2020 08:23AM) (new)

ALTERNATE LIST:
**titles exclude leading articles (a, an, the)

2. Title 'L'
3. Cover Item: Food/Drink
4. Author 'B'
5. North America
6. Cover: Red
7. Published 2015-2016
8. MC has a pet
9. Cover Item: Sun/Moon
10. Set in a place you've visited
11. Romance
12. MC has at least one child
13. Published 2019
14. Cover Item: Jewelry
15. Book that a teammate rated 5 stars
16. Cover: Pink
17. Four or More Words Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
18. MC is older than 60
19. South America
20. Title 'G'
21. Cover Item: One person
22. Set anytime between 1600-1837
23. Female Author
24. Cover: White
25. Set sometime before 1600 AD
26. Non-Fiction
27. Cover Item: Hat/Helmet/Other Headwear
28. Author uses their middle name/initial (e.g. Robert J. Sawyer, Rita Mae Brown)
29. Cover: Black
30. Cover Item: Animal
31. Young Adult/New Adult
32. Author 'S'
33. Australia
34. Seasonal Theme (i.e Christmas, Halloween etc)
35. Author 'O'
36. GR average rating >4.0
37. Number in the Title (Third Grave Dead Ahead or Every Fifteen Minutes)
38. Originally published in a language other than English
39. School/College/University
40. Cover Item: Furniture
41. Title 'E'
42. Cover Item: Weapon
43. Published 2011-2012
44. Author 'M'
45. LGBTQ+
46. Cover: Green
47. Set in the future
48. Africa
49. Author 'P'
50. Cover: Blue
51. Published 2017-2018
52. Cover Item: Water
53. Set in a Fictional Location/Universe
54. Author 'I'
55. Set anytime between 1837-1901
56. One Word Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Witness or Divergent
57. Cover: Purple
58. Fantasy
59. Author H
60. Europe
61. Several authors
62. Author 'R'
63. Award Winner (must state which/when)
64. New to You Author
65. Published 2013-2014
66. Title 'T'
67. Cover Item: Hands/Arms/Feet/Legs (no other body parts visible)
68. MC travels by train
69. Title has a subtitle
70. Cover Item: Mode of Transportation
71. Title 'J'
72. Published 2001-2010
73. Cover Item: Lamp/Candle
74. Book to Movie/TV (must state how book qualifies: listopia, imdb, precis)
75. Male Author
76. Two Word Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) Deadly Silence, The Hunger Games
77. Title 'F'
78. Cover: Yellow/Gold
79. Debut Novel or Debut Author
80. Author uses a pseudonym
81. Title 'C'
82. Cover Item: Building
83. Published between 1950 and 1999
84. Author 'D'
85. MC is in their 20's
86. Title 'V'
87. Cover Item: Book
88. Science Fiction
89. Title 'B'
90. Cover: Orange
91. Published 2020
92. Three Word Title (excludes articles like A, An, The) Behind Closed Doors or Etched in Bone
93. Asia
94. Author 'W'
95. Cover Item: Dress
96. Mystery/Thriller
97. Cover Item: Two or more people
98. Published before 1950
99. MC travels by airplane
100. Author 'L'
101. Four or more Words Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
102. Cover: Brown
103. Published 2020
104. Author 'F'
105. Title 'G'
106. Romance
107. Anthology/Short Stories
108. Cover: Green
109. Title 'N'
110. Favorite Author
111. Author 'Y'

message 5: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:33AM) (new)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

★ You can use any edition of the book you read.
★ Books must be started after your team has rolled.
★ Review posts MUST include the following: Book title, author, cover, how it qualifies for the spot you're on, date finished, rating, review (min. 3 sentences)

Alternates:
★ Publication years: any edition so long as it is published in the given year
★ Cover Colour: must be at least 50% (see guidelines in post below)
★ Cover Item: must have the given item on the cover
★ Locations: book must be set at least partially in the given location
★ Author letters: author's first, middle, or last name must start with the given letter
★ Title letters: first word in the title starts with the given letter, excluding the lead ARTICLE (The, A, An...)

FOR THOSE PLAYING BOTH
★YES, you can use the same book in both challenges.

EXAMPLE OF AN ACCEPTABLE POST

Week 2
Spot: 13
Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1) by Charlie Cochet
Book:
Hell & High Water by Charlie Cochet
Qualification: THIRDS #1
Finished: 11 Jun 2017
Rating: ★★★★

Review:
Testifying against his partner and getting him locked up for murder leaves Detective Dex Daley deserted by his friends and colleagues as well as his boyfriend, a repeat target of violence, and on his way out of the job at the Human Police Force he loves. Instead of fired, however, he is recruited to join the elite Therian-Human Intelligence Recon Defense Squadron (THIRDS), working side by side with shapeshifters as a Defense Agent. Tossed right into the middle of a murder investigation, Dex has to get accustomed to his new situation quickly - and the fact that his new team is still reeling from the loss of one of their own and not at all happy to integrate his replacement really doesn't help. Neither does the fact that Dex's new teamleader may be a jerk, but he's a very attractive one.

These books have been on my TBR for ages, and I'm glad to finally get around to reading them. It took me a while to get into the story, familiarise myself with the universe (I'm really, really not a fan of "let me explain the entirety of my worldbuilding to you textbook-style" prologues, so I was immediately a little dubious about the whole thing), get to know the characters and pick up the terminology, but after a few chapters I was thoroughly hooked. Looking forward to continuing this series.

When using the alternate that involves cover items, colors, or publications years, please be sure to link the correct edition to show how the book qualifies.

message 6: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:34AM) (new)

Guideline for Alternate Category Cover Colour

Cover colour alternates tend to be a little tricky, since it can be very hard to tell whether something is 50% a certain colour. Here's a handy little 3-step guide for figuring out whether your chosen book qualifies.

1) Use your own judgment. If a book cover is quite clearly overwhelmingly the colour in question, you don't need additional verification.

Examples:
Blue: Earth Alone (Earthrise, #1) by Daniel Arenson
Grey: Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey
Yellow: The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

2) When in doubt, you can use this tool TinEye Labs to check a cover. If TinEye confirms your cover is at least 50% the colour in question, go ahead and use it.
Note: You may need to uncheck "Exclude background color from extracted colors" to get a proper result.

Example:
White: Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay (50.3% white according to TinEye)

3) If it's a close call (say, 40-49.9% the right colour according to TinEye), or TinEye gives you a result you vehemently disagree with (apparently it does that sometimes, unfortunately), or you have trouble using the site/ would generally prefer a human opinion, post the book cover in question to the discussion thread and ask me. I reserve the right to overrule TinEye in cases of a close call or dodgy result.

Examples:
Grey: Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews (44.9% grey according to TinEye. I chose to overrule and let the player use it.)
Orange: Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1) by Donna Leon (41.1% orange according to TinEye. I would probably choose to overrule.)

message 7: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

message 8: by Raluca (new)

Raluca (ral003) | 63 comments Hi, I have a question, if I have a book that is a boxset, ex: Calendar Girl: Volume One (Calendar Girl #1-3) Its can be read for #1, #2 or #3 or? Because the books in the series are under page limit. So... reading a boxset that contain more volumes on the same series who it is counted?

message 9: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

I would treat this the same as an anthology, so this rule applies:
✸ When using an anthology you may use any of the numbers in the book. But you must review each story in the anthology.

message 10: by Raluca (new)

Raluca (ral003) | 63 comments Thanks.

message 11: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 670 comments sorry if I am missing this, what is the alternate task for spot 1?

message 12: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

There is none - since you're rolling two dice, the lowest spot you can start on is 2. :)

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 72 comments I have a question about the double digit spots. I know the rules say you can use either number, but can you use the actual number?

For example, say my team lands on spot 12. Can I read a book that is #12 in a series, or is it only #1 or #2?

message 14: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 670 comments Oh thanks I hadn't realized about the two dice

message 15: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 670 comments And each roll we can choose to read series or alternate right? Like if my team lands on 4 and I don't have a #4 in a series can I do the task instead, and then on the next one if we land on 11 I'm allowed to read a first in series or #11 if I have it?

message 16: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 670 comments Or will I need to do the task of series for all of them if I do it for one?

message 17: by Geri (new)

Geri | 360 comments Team 1’s name is Alices in 1derland. And I’ll be captain.

message 18: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Melanie wrote: "I have a question about the double digit spots. I know the rules say you can use either number, but can you use the actual number?

For example, say my team lands on spot 12. Can I read a book that..."

Yes, all of those options - #1, #2, and #12 - as well as standalone books would work.
For spots 100+, e.g. 103 you could use standalone, #1, #3, #10, #103.

message 19: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

☮️❤️Celia❤️☮️ wrote: "And each roll we can choose to read series or alternate right? Like if my team lands on 4 and I don't have a #4 in a series can I do the task instead, and then on the next one if we land on 11 I'm ..."

Yes, you can decide for each spot which of the options you want to use.

message 20: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Geri wrote: "Team 1’s name is Alices in 1derland. And I’ll be captain."

Quick work! Got your thread updated.

message 21: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 945 comments Is there no number 1 for the task list?

message 22: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh wrote: "Is there no number 1 for the task list?"

See above:
"There is none - since you're rolling two dice, the lowest spot you can start on is 2. :)"

message 23: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 308 comments But what about the ones in bigger numbers? If we end up on 11 is 11 our only choice?

message 24: by Raluca (last edited Sep 15, 2020 12:14PM) (new)

Raluca (ral003) | 63 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "But what about the ones in bigger numbers? If we end up on 11 is 11 our only choice?"

Is #1th in series or #11th in series.
* And standone books can be read for 1 and 0 digit

For spot 11 can be series #1 or #11 or standalone
For spot 10 can be series #1 or #10 or standalone
For spot 12 can be series #1 or #2 or #12
For spot 45 can be series #4 or #5 or #45
For 102 can be series #1 or #2 or #10 or standalone
That is what I understand from above and from rules.

message 25: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Exactly as Raluca said.

Additionally, there's an alternate task for each spot in case you don't have a fitting series book available or would prefer to read something else.

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 364 comments Hi, how are we establishing the # of pages? By the edition we used, the most rated one, any other approach?

And with audiobooks, how do we do it?

message 27: by ☘Misericordia☘ (last edited Sep 15, 2020 02:20PM) (new)

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 364 comments Reading series in order and not in order - if I actually wind up reading books not in order (I often do that!), is it against the rules?

Another variant: if I actually wind up reading a whole series in a week and like it enough to reread some parts for some of the following weeks (that also happens often), would that be ok or is there a minimum time limit on rereads?

message 28: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 670 comments For the alternate tasks where it says Title "letter" does it have to be that the title starts with that letter, any title word starts with that letter, or just contains that letter?

message 29: by Sam (new)

Sam | 591 comments Denise, team 8 will be known as Reading Eight Days a Week and I will be captain.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam | 591 comments ☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~ wrote: "Reading series in order and not in order - if I actually wind up reading books not in order (I often do that!), is it against the rules?

Another variant: if I actually wind up reading a whole seri..."

Misericordia, you can read books out of order, that doesn't matter. But I think there is usually a 6 month re-read rule.

message 31: by Sam (new)

Sam | 591 comments ☮️❤️Celia❤️☮️ wrote: "For the alternate tasks where it says Title "letter" does it have to be that the title starts with that letter, any title word starts with that letter, or just contains that letter?"

It usually means that the title starts with that letter, excluding articles.

message 32: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 13379 comments Mod
Sam wrote: "But I think there is usually a 6 month re-read rule"

Nope. That's a different group :)

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 364 comments Lanelle wrote: "Sam wrote: "But I think there is usually a 6 month re-read rule"

Nope. That's a different group :)"
Great, thanks, Lanelle!

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam | 591 comments Lanelle wrote: "Sam wrote: "But I think there is usually a 6 month re-read rule"

Nope. That's a different group :)"

That's what happens when you belong to too many groups. All the rules start blending together.

message 35: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 13379 comments Mod
Sam wrote: "That's what happens when you belong to too many groups. All the rules start blending together."

I understand completely. There have been a few times I've had to double-check the standard rules of my own challenge :)

message 36: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 670 comments Team 9 would like to be called Three Trilogies please

message 37: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~ wrote: "Hi, how are we establishing the # of pages? By the edition we used, the most rated one, any other approach?

And with audiobooks, how do we do it?"

Unless you need to link a specific edition for using a cover-related alternate, I leave it up to you whether you want to hunt down the edition you read or just use the first one that pops up in the language you're reading in. As long as you find one with the required minimum number of pages, you're good - same for audiobooks.

message 38: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Re-reads are fine, no time limit, with one exception: You can't use a re-read when you're reading for a winning spot (101 and up).

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 364 comments Denise wrote: "Re-reads are fine, no time limit, with one exception: You can't use a re-read when you're reading for a winning spot (101 and up)."

Denise wrote: "Unless you need to link a specific edition for using a cover-related alternate, I leave it up to you whether you want to hunt down the edition you read or just use the first one that pops up in the language you're reading in. As long as you find one with the required minimum number of pages, you're good - same for audiobooks"

Ok, got it, thanks!

message 40: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

If your team is still missing assigned players who haven't checked in, now would be a good time to PM them if you haven't already.

message 41: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1772 comments Denise, I'm going to be Captain of Team 2 and please change our name to:

To Reading And Beyond!

Thanks.

message 42: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylaschwae) | 226 comments Denise I will be co captaining along with Suzanne for Team 10!

We would like the name Ten Million Books to Read

Thanks!!

message 43: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1126 comments Team 3 is Series Seekers and I will be Captain!

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 300 comments Hello!
Team 6 will be "Series of Fortunate Events" and I will be captain =)

message 45: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 1496 comments I maybe overlooking this, but what time can we roll on the 18th?

message 46: by Moondance (new)

Moondance (moondance120) | 1016 comments Team 4 is missing a player and her profile is private.

message 47: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Debbie (Doc) wrote: "I maybe overlooking this, but what time can we roll on the 18th?"

You can roll immediately 12:01am (Central Time).

message 48: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Moondance wrote: "Team 4 is missing a player and her profile is private."

I've sent her a pm asking her to check in with a link to your thread. Hopefully she'll turn up. In case she doesn't, submit reviews from the rest of the team next Friday and I'll assign you a back-up player to take her place starting week 2. Missing a review from a player who never checked in won't be held against the team.

message 49: by Moondance (new)

Moondance (moondance120) | 1016 comments Denise wrote: "Moondance wrote: "Team 4 is missing a player and her profile is private."

I've sent her a pm asking her to check in with a link to your thread. Hopefully she'll turn up. In case she doesn't, submi..."

I was able to send a message as well. Thanks!

message 50: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 1496 comments Denise wrote: "Debbie (Doc) wrote: "I maybe overlooking this, but what time can we roll on the 18th?"

You can roll immediately 12:01am (Central Time)."

Thanks!

« previous 1