What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Orpheus Girl
This topic is about Orpheus Girl
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA LGBTQ+ Lesbian | Two friends fall in love and when discovered are sent to a conversion camp and try to survive in the harsh world there. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathryn_ryn) | 7 comments What I remember from this book is this: Two girls who are best friends fall in love. They start kissing in one girl's bedroom, and this boy finds them. Soon after this girl disappears. All the time the other girl tries to pretend she's straight, saying she thinks the new football player is hot when she's with other friends. Then her grandma, who she's living with, tells her that she can't raise a queer because it's unnatural and that she's being sent to a Christian conversion camp to be "fixed". The girl she's in love with is there. There they make every dress to the extreme for their gender, the girls very very feminine and the boys very masculine, including making one of the boys, who's trans, dress female. At one point the main character actually shaves her head to look less feminine. I believe they eventually escape, but things like physical labor and shock therapy are used to convert them.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34470 comments Mod
Kathryn, around what year did you read this book? A range of years is fine.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathryn_ryn) | 7 comments Kris wrote: "Kathryn, around what year did you read this book? A range of years is fine." Sometime last year, I believe. I read it in the library before quarantine.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathryn_ryn) | 7 comments Courtney wrote: "Orpheus Girl" Yes, that's it! Thanks so much.

Courtney (andforamoment) | 302 comments Kathryn wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Orpheus Girl" Yes, that's it! Thanks so much."

Yay! You're welcome :D

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Orpheus Girl (other topics)