Gaston Library discussion

Monthly Reading Wrap Ups > August 2020 Monthly Reading Wrap Up

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Sep 03, 2020 06:37AM) (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 279 comments Mod
So, I looked back at my list of books I read this month and was surprised to see how many books I made it through this month. Granted two of them were audiobooks and one was a short graphic novel, but still. I’m lucky to get two in one month most of the time, haha. Also, I’ve never finished more than one entry of four books in the library's summer reading program, but I did three this summer! Have you submitted your final entries yet? You have until September 22nd to submit and pick up your finishing prize at your chosen branch, just call your branch and let them know you are a Goodreads finisher and schedule a pick up today! That was a long intro, so now on the good stuff.

This month I read…

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy- This is a sweet graphic novel filled with reminders I’m sure we could all use right now. I couldn’t help but crack a smile and even shed a tear at some parts. I highly recommend this heartwarming super quick read. Charlie’s artwork is a beautiful touch as well.

New Moon and Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer- I listened to these on audiobook. I am enjoying this trip down Twilight memory lane way too much. I have definitely jumped back on the bandwagon over a decade later. Midnight Sun awaits once I finish the audio of Breaking Dawn. I have to admit that Eclipse was a little annoying in several parts, but I still enjoyed it. And in a shocking turn of events Alice, who used to be one of my all time favorite characters, is now one of the most annoying in my eyes. Was she always so vapid?

The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King by Holly Black- I was really needing to dive into a really good YA fantasy series (outside of listening to Twilight) and a fellow library staff member recommended this one. It did not disappoint. It has been a blast diving into this series and I have devoured it quicker than I expected (I’m reading the last one now). It’s been too long since I found a good and new to me YA Fantasy series.

Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society by Judy Christie and Lisa Wingate- I loved Before We Were Yours, but this one didn’t quite resonate with me like that one did. I think this one just jumped around too much so the stories didn’t have quite the same impact even though these are true stories. Especially at first the stories were so similar they seemed to blend together. There were some stand out stories, the one about the three sisters whose mother was a Tennessee Children’s Home Society Adoptee and the effect it had on their lives was the one that stood out the most to me.

What did you read this month? Be sure to share down below!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by booksbywhit (new)

booksbywhit | 2 comments Hey yall! this month I read the following novels:
The Starless Sea
My Squirrel Days
Frankly in Love
Our Chemical Hearts
Love, Life, and the List
Tell Me Three Things
When the Stars Lead to You
Starry Night
Maybe this Time
10 Things I Hate About Pinky
Reached
I’d like to thank the Gaston County Public Library for allowing me easy access to most of these books. (Except for LL&L and Reached, I own those 😄) They are awesome!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

booksbywhit wrote: "Hey yall! this month I read the following novels:
The Starless Sea
My Squirrel Days
Frankly in Love
Our Chemical Hearts
Love, Life, and the List
Tell Me Three Things
When the Stars Lead to You
Star..."

Thank you for sharing Whitney, and for using our library! We are glad we are able to provide books for you to enjoy! =)

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5 comments 1. The Elixir of Death by Bernard Knight

2. The Winter Soldier by Daniel Mason

3. Master of War: Defiant Unto Death by David Gilman

4. Master of War (Master of War # 1) by David Gilman

message 5: by Brandye (new)

Brandye (brandyeedwards) | 43 comments I read The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy last month. I loved it. Such a cute little story.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Brandye wrote: "I read The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy last month. I loved it. Such a cute little story."

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm seeing this and thinking it might be time for quick reread for me. It's good reading for the heart.