Albany Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2020 Summer Reading Challenge > 2020 SRC: Week 8 New York State of Mind

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne C (last edited Aug 10, 2020 11:31AM) (new)

Anne C (fizzyannielizzy) | 75 comments Mod
There are so many great songs about New York (one obviously inspired the title of this week's SRC theme), but WE will be honoring the Empire State by featuring some great reads by authors who hail from NY.

Adult Fiction
The Underground Railroad
Manhattan Beach
If Beale Street Could Talk
Not Without Laughter
Story of My Life
A Terrible Country
All This Could Be Yours
The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
Precious
The Devil in Silver
Grand Union: Stories
Red at the Bone
Angels in America
The Bonfire of the Vanities
The Queen of the Night

Young Adult Fiction
Scythe
King of the Screwups
Dove Arising
If I Stay
A Good Idea

Nonfiction
Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History
The Gene: An Intimate History
The Laws of Medicine: Field Notes from an Uncertain Science

Anywho, enough about us, what have you been reading?!

And, as always, let us know what we should add to your reading records!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 12 comments Summer reading so far:
Sorry I’m Late, I didn’t Want to Come, Jessica Pan

The Woman Who Smashed Codes, Jason Fangone

Searching for Silvie Lee, by Jean Kwok

Fallen Mountains, by Kimi Cunningham Grant

What The Wind Knows, Amy Harmon

How to Be an Antiracist, by Ibram X. Kendi

On Desperate Ground, by Hampton Sides

The Hazel Wood, by Melissa Albert

Cilka’s Journey, by Heather Morris

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, by Stuart Turton

In The Country of Women, by Susan Straight

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 187 comments Read Silver Girl, which takes place in Massachusetts, not New York, but was a light summer read.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 25 comments Just finished reading A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny and An American Marriage by Tayari Jones from last week’s theme.

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana | 71 comments Finished Exhalation: Stories over lunch. Absolutely wonderful.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahkuperman) | 16 comments I finished The Gate Keeper by Charles Todd. It was another good mystery in this series. Set in December 1920, Ian Rutledge from Scotland Yard is caught up in what may be a random murder. His dedicated and detailed investigation unravels the mystery and finds a serials killer.

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige (pabarnum) | 13 comments Finished Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War by Tony Horwitz and Good Talk by Mira Jacob.

(I think I wrapped up 10 last post? Let me know if we're not supposed to drop our reads here once we complete the challenge! I know it's a lot to track!)

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodysquadere) | 38 comments I just finished “Magic Lessons” by Alice Hoffman. There’s some beautiful descriptions of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn in the 1660’s although this beautiful novel also takes place in England, Curaçao, Boston and Salem, Massachusetts. It’s an intoxicating and brilliant prequel to “Practical Magic”.

message 9: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodysquadere) | 38 comments I started “The Dakota Winters” by Tom Barbasch. 1980 NYC. I’m really looking forward to revisiting the year John Lennon was murdered and my senior year of Oceanside High School on Long Island.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen (irisira) | 27 comments Finished The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins.

message 11: by Abi (new)

Abi (foureyedabi) | 75 comments Read One of Us is Lying in one night last night 😱

message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (readersbeadvised) | 78 comments Mod
I thought the Spill Zone set in the future disaster zone of Poughkeepsie in the sci-fi graphic novel too.

I didn't read anything New York specific but I adored My Life in France and American as Paneer Pie.

message 13: by Abi (new)

Abi (foureyedabi) | 75 comments Just finished Two Can Keep a Secret which is still not set in New York :p

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (irisira) | 27 comments Spent a lazy Sunday devouring The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi.

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellml289) | 17 comments I finished Mexican Gothic this week

message 16: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments Last week, I obtained one of the titles listed for week 7 and then never got to it. Didn't manage to read a book by a New York author this week.... I hope re-reads count, because I just re-read One of Us Is Lying to prepare for the Forever YA August book-club meeting.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate | 291 comments Mod
Anne C wrote: "There are so many great songs about New York (one obviously inspired the title of this week's SRC theme), but WE will be honoring the Empire State by featuring some great reads by authors who hail ..."

@ Laura. I have added your books! One post and you have completed APL SRC. Congrats!

message 18: by Diana (new)

Diana | 71 comments @Kelly, did you like Mexican Gothic? I've been looking forward to it.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 291 comments Mod
Paige wrote: "Finished Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War by Tony Horwitz and Good Talk by Mira Jacob.

(I think I wrapped up 10 last post? Let me know if we're not supposed to d..."

@ Paige. Yes, I have 13 books on my end. You have completed the APL SRC!

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 291 comments Mod
Abi wrote: "Read One of Us is Lying in one night last night 😱"

@ Abi YES! I can't wait to talk with everyone about it at book club:)

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate | 291 comments Mod
Abi wrote: "Just finished Two Can Keep a Secret which is still not set in New York :p"

@ Abi I have added your books. You have completed the APL SRC!

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate | 291 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Spent a lazy Sunday devouring The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi."

@ Jen I have added your books. You have completed the APL SRC!

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 291 comments Mod
Mirkat wrote: "Last week, I obtained one of the titles listed for week 7 and then never got to it. Didn't manage to read a book by a New York author this week.... I hope re-reads count, because I just re-read [bo..."

@Mirkat Re-reading totally counts. See you at book club. I have added your book!

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate | 291 comments Mod
All books have been recorded to this point. Great work everybody!

message 25: by Paul (last edited Aug 17, 2020 11:45AM) (new)

Paul R | 46 comments Hi, I finished one more book this week Saving Tyler by Gudrun Frerichs. It was a good NZ romance about a serviceman who returned from Afghanistan with PTSD.

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate | 291 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Hi, I finished one more book this week Saving Tyler by Gudrun Frerichs. It was a good NZ romance about a serviceman who returned from Afghanistan with PTSD."

Great, I have added your book @Paul

message 27: by Rich (new)

Rich Pearson-strain (richpearson-strain) | 36 comments For week 8, I read Sharpe's Eagle by Bernard Cornwell. Love Cornwell's writing style and his Sharpe series is a guilty pleasure I come back to from time to time. The series focuses on Sharpe, a privateer from poverty, who makes the rare jump to the officer class (often bought rather than earned by merit in Britain's Army), showcasing how he navigates class prejudices against securing victories for Britain in the age of the Napoleonic Wars. This is the 8th in the series, focusing on the Talavera campaign.

message 28: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra C | 135 comments Mod
Got it recorded!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.