Start by marking “Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)

Spill Zone (Spill Zone #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,917 Ratings  ·  780 Reviews
Nobody's ever really explained the Spill. Was it an angelic visitation? A nanotech accident? A porthole opening from another world? Whatever it was, no one's allowed in the Spill Zone these days except government scientists and hazmat teams. But a few intrepid explorers know how to sneak through the patrols and steer clear of the dangers inside the Zone. Addison Merrick is ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Spill Zone, please sign up.
Becky B There are some vague similarities in that there's an area with weird occurrences and an unexplained event that caused those. In execution this has a…moreThere are some vague similarities in that there's an area with weird occurrences and an unexplained event that caused those. In execution this has a very different feel, and a lot of unique attributes so it comes down to maybe they got the same writing prompt of "weird area with supernatural events inside" but that's it. So yes, it sounds like it. No, it most definitely isn't a ripoff.(less)

Patrick
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everything I like in a graphic novel. Good, character-focused story. Good dialogue. A world that feels real, and an interesting premise with a hint of the fantastic in it.

Really looking forward to the second one....
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this one! It was different for me. I got it from the library but the physical copy is on my Amazon wishlist now 😄

Mel ❤
Philip
3.75ish stars.

This is a fun, well-written, well-drawn graphic novel that deserved more recognition than it's gotten so far. Westerfeld is the popular author of the Uglies and Leviathan series so it's surprising that this title seems to have fallen between the cracks.

A mysterious "event" has turned Poughkeepsie (isn't that just the best city name?), NY into a deserted creep zone full of supernatural phenomena, including the zombified forms of its former residents. Addison, our heroine, is a BA
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
HOLY CRAP. Why isn't there more buzz about this yet?! This sounds SO. COOL.

I found Scott Westerfeld's most recent book, Afterworlds, pretty disappointing––I had a feeling it was some kind of side project, and I guess it was because apparently he's been working on The Spill Zone for seven years. Whoa.

Whatever happened, the Spill Zone isn't a place you want to go anymore. Staring at the lights in the storm drains gives you nightmares, and once you've seen mealy worms take down a deer, you won't ev
Sarah Churchill
LOOOOOVE.

It's going to be a very long wait for the next one!
Misty
3.75
I don't know if I'm quite as enthusiastic about this one as so many other people seem to be, but I definitely did enjoy it, and will read more in the series. Though I find the art well-suited to the storyline, it's a little too messy for my tastes (though I got used to it, and do think it was the right choice, plot-wise), and in the beginning, I found the actual story telling (the literal words, not the plot) to be strangely stilted or slightly characterless for something that was trying to
Chad
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this despite the subpar art. Addison lives just outside Poughkeepsie which has been abandoned after an unexplained event happened there. She takes care of her little sister by illegally taking pictures inside the Spill Zone and selling them as art. Inside the Spill Zone the laws of physics might not apply and mutated animals roam the streets. We find out a similar event happened inside North Korea and she is hired to bring something out of the Spill Zone. And to make matters wor ...more
kayla ☺
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5/4.0 STARS

I thought this graphic novel was really interesting. I loved the creepiness of the illustrations/plot. The only reason I'm not giving it 4 stars is because it ended in a weird way. I know there's more books in the series (which I'm going to read) but I still found where they left off to be confusing. It left me wanting more which is probably what they meant but I was at least hoping for sometime of hint about what the Spill Zone really is.

Regardless, I thought it was a good graphic
Sesana
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
A very interesting start to a new series. I've read one or two things by Westerfeld before, but I think this is the first series of his that I've felt compelled to read whatever is coming next. This particular volume is largely world building, which is fair. There's quite a bit to establish, even when so much about this world is uncertain even to those who live in it. The exact nature of the disaster that has turned Addison's hometown into a Chernobyl-esque inclusion zone is mysterious, though o ...more
Krista Regester
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Haunting art, and I'm excited for the sequel.
Skip
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
People are not allowed in the mysterious Poughkeepsie Spill Zone since the night of the Spill. Teenager Addison Merrick was out of town and returned to find her parents missing, and presumably dead, a mute younger sister. Finding herself the new head of household, Addison supports the two of them by periodically sneaking into the Spill Zone and taking photos of the weirdness there to sell to collectors. The Spill Zone waffles between mysterious and frustrating as we never learn what precipitated ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

SPILL ZONE is creepy. Wonderfully, awesomely creepy. In part because of the creepiness, I think the storyline of SPILL ZONE is a perfect fit for the graphic novel medium, and the images coupled with the story are delightfully scary and not something you want to read right before bedtime!

With a short description, I really wasn't sure what to expect when I cracked open SPILL ZONE. I hadn't read anything else by Westerfeld before reading SPILL ZONE, thoug
First Second Books
May 02, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
When an other-worldly event destroys the small city of Poughkeepsie and kills Addison's parents, she has to find a way to take care of her mute little sister, Lexa, and herself. In order to make money, she travels into the Spill Zone to take pictures of its bizarre and dangerous entities. Make sure to pick up a copy to join Addison in exploring the Spill Zone...and hope to return alive!
Jaime Arkin
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am going to admit that I am a newbie to the graphic novel world… I’ve read a couple and want to read more, so when the opportunity to read Spill Zone by Scott Westerfeld arose I jumped at the chance!

Before I mention the story, I have to talk about the art… It’s just incredible you guys and Alex Puvilland did an amazing job conveying all the creepiness and suspense in every frame!

The story itself is so creepily fantastic that I can’t wait for more. There’s been a spill of some sort, no one kn
Ran
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The main character Addison Merritt lives outside of Poughkeepsie, where a nuclear/nanotech accident turned the city into a living nightmare slash quarantine Zone. Addison sneaks in often to take photographs for money. But there are some really fantastic/horror show elements to the Spill Zone, and definitely mystery surrounding this accident. As a result of the spill, her little sister Lexa does not speak ... yet the reader is aware of her thought-conversation ...more
Liza Wiemer
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a graphic novel!

There is a DOLL! A creepy, goose-bump making, chilling doll!!!! Plus a kick-ass awesome girl, who rides a motorcycle! Yesssss!

I was hooked from page one. Scott Westerfeld has a perfect blend of intrigue and creepy. This is a story that you won't be able to forget. I can't wait to see what happens next and find out more about the terrifying place that's THE SPILL ZONE!
Stephanie
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
VERY WEIRD BUT I LIKED IT
Melliane
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I did not know about this comics but the synopsis immediately intrigued me. When I received it I must say that I was really surprised, the book-object is really beautiful. This volume has a beautiful cover and brilliant pages, everything is very beautiful! And what about the talent of the illustrator? Everything makes you want to read it!

The Spill Zone is very well known in the region but nobody has access to it. An event occurred and the whole city chan
Faith
Wow. That was crazy cool.

I don't even really know what to say. It feels like the pilot episode to a really cool new TV show, and I just can't wait to see more. I love the story telling, and the suspense was intense. The art wasn't really my favorite, but I did like it. I'm extremely intrigued.
Anna
Oh Scott, do you ever disappoint me?

This was a blast, can't wait for the next one!
Rebekah
Fast paced, creepy and suspenseful, Spill Zone is the first graphic novel in the series, and will leave you with more questions than answers.

The heroine, Addison is an artist who sells her photographs of the disaster area known as the spill zone. The story was based in part, on a terrible incident that happened in central Brazil. Westerfeld explains that thieves broke into a closed-up hospital and took a radiotherapy unit to sell for scrap metal. The young daughter of the junkyard owner was fasc
Cecelia
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scott Westerfeld is a favorite author – an old favorite at this point. I read his YA just after I started blogging (so many years ago omg)! He remains a favorite partly because many of his stories are about girls doing things. The other part is that he writes reliably engaging science fiction (his Leviathan books are so my jam it isn’t even funny). When I found out that he had a graphic novel coming out (with Alex Puvilland illustrating), I couldn’t add it to the to-read list fast enough. Spill ...more
Zedsdead
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
An otherworldly Annihilation-style mystery zone has appeared in Poughkeepsie, NY. "Mutated" doesn't begin to describe what has happened to the animals there. Objects fly about in weird patterns, people float catatonic in the air with light emanating from their faces, and physics inside the Spill Zone tend to be suggestions rather than laws.

An orphaned photographer supports herself and her damaged sister by sneaking into the Spill Zone and selling her photographs to wealthy collectors.

Love how t
Austin Miller
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Several thoughts:
1. What the hell?
2. I'm not sure what is happening really.
3. Why isn't there MORE?

I gave it 3 stars because I wanted MORE. It was so fast and I didn't feel much happened (clearly it's setting the scene for the rest of the story) before it ended too soon. The artwork is lovely though and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Lauren Stoolfire
That was good. Weird and creepy, but very good. I'll have to continue this series for sure. If you like Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan, you'll probably enjoy Spill Zone.
Megan
That's it??? That's how we're going to end it? Okay, now I'll have to keep an eye out for the rest because I want-no, I NEED to know what happens next!!
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Mandy C.
Cover Story: Veronica Mars meets The Road Warrior
BFF Charm: Maybe
Swoonworthy Scale: 0.5
Talky Talk: Only the Beginning
Arty Art: Loose
Bonus Factors: Science Fiction Mystery, Superpowers?
Anti-Bonus Factor: Talking Doll
Relationship Status: Ready for Adventure

Read the full book report here.
LynnDee (The Library Lush)
Usually a graphic novel either gets me with the characters, or the art. This one, however, really hooked me with the plot, to where I definitely want to continue with the next volume.

Gina
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads-2018
A good steady read. Very engaging.
Cassie-la
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/06/19/...

The first trade in a new graphic novel series by young adult author Scott Westerfeld takes place after a series of localized disasters around the globe bends reality itself. Full of terrifying and incredibly imaginative monsters, so-called Spill Zones around the world have turned former idyllic towns into nightmarish landscapes. Intriguingly plotted and beautifully colored, my only complaint is how quickly I devoured this.
  • Threadworlds
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • 4 Wizards
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Ghosts
  • The Midas Flesh Vol. 1
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • Secret of the Time Tablets (Cleopatra in Space, #3)
  • The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 3 (Smoke and Shadow, #3)
  • The Silver Six
  • Transposes
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • Princess Ugg Vol. 1
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra
  • Escape from the Lizzarks (Nnewts, #1)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld

Spill Zone (3 books)
  • Spill Night (Spill Zone #0.5)
  • The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)