Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Making an edition primary

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene Sauman | 15 comments Saddled with Death and A Gem of a Problem
Ist problem:
No matter what I do I cannot get the latest cover as the primary cover for the new editions of these two of my books. The system doesn’t seem to be responding correctly. It accepts what I put in, including ‘make this the primary edition’, and shows the page, but it actually hasn’t done it at all. The covers aren’t even showing as alternate covers either.

Saddled with Death
Kindle edition: ASIN: B06XPTGRYX (No ISBN)
Amazon print edition: ISBN 978-0-6480348-9-6
Ingram print edition: ISBN 978-0-6480348-4-1
Saddled with Death Irene Sauman

A Gem of a Problem
Kindle edition: ASIN: B06XPGYSHD (No ISBN)
Amazon print edition: ISBN 978-0-6480348-1-0
Ingram print edition: ISBN 978-0-6480348-5-8
A Gem of a Problem Irene Sauman

The details for both titles have been updated and are all correct as shown on the book pages. Only the covers are incorrect. The ASIN is the same for all kindle editions.
The print editions have the same new covers but new ISBNs.

2nd problem.
There are four copies of the same kindle edition of A Gem of a Problem with the previous cover. If these could be reduced to one kindle edition and one paperback that would be much more sensible.

Part of the problem overall is that I have redone the covers twice for the last edition, but I couldn’t even get the first one up for A Gem of a Problem either, which is why it has four attempts (including one by a librarian :) At the same time, it shouldn’t be this difficult (this isn’t a criticism of anyone, just a fact). I don’t feel confident of updating an existing title, now. Fortunately, this will be the last for these two. Sighs of gratitude all round.
Heartfelt thanks to anyone who can deal with this.
Irene Sauman

message 2: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Irene wrote: "Saddled with Death and A Gem of a Problem
Ist problem:
No matter what I do I cannot get the latest cover as the primary cover for the new editions of these two of my books. The system doesn’t seem ..."

reviewing

message 3: by Suzi (new)

Ist problem:
No matter what I do I cannot get the latest cover as the primary cover for the new editions of these two of my books. The system doesn’t seem ..."

There are lots of issues here, and I will sort it. It will take a little time.

message 4: by Suzi (new)

1No matter what I do I cannot get the latest cover as the primary cover for the new editions of these two of my books. The system doesn’t seem to be responding correctly. It accepts what I put in, including ‘make this the primary edition’, and shows the page, but it actually hasn’t done it at all. The covers aren’t even showing as alternate covers either.

Saddled with Death
Kindle edition: ASIN: B06XPTGRYX (No ISBN)
Amazon print edition: ISBN 978-0-6480348-9-6
Ingram print edition: ISBN 978-0-6480348-4-1
Saddled with Death Irene Sauman

The details for both titles have been updated and are all correct as shown on the book pages. Only the covers are incorrect. The ASIN is the same for all kindle editions.
..."

Dealing with one problem at a time:
1. Saddled With Death.

**a. I identified the original records, and restored them. When you publish a new edition, do not change valid original information, but create completely new records. Goodreads keeps records on all publications, including editions of hundreds of years old.

**b. Kindle editions use only ASIN. When making an alternate edition, do not go back and add the ISBN to the original edition. Although Amazon has ISBNs in the background for Kindle editions, they are not used on Goodreads.

**c. I created alternate editions and added the noted print edition ISBNs, and used the brown cover for these. If this is not correct, please advise.

**d. The original novella will keep the series number "#0.5" in the title, but will be combined with the new novel length edition, and the number on the series will now be "#0"

**e. I added the edition information to the edition field, designating 1st edition and 2nd revised edition. The edition information does not go in the title field.

**f. It has been my experience that where there have been multiple changes and additions to a title, that it takes some time to catch up in all views of the Goodreads site, as it is heavily cached. Setting the default edition does not always immediately change after multiple edits, changes and additions. This is a site functionality issue, and librarians cannot control this.

If you find any errors on this title, please advise and I will correct.

I'm going to work on the next title. I'll be back.

message 5: by Suzi (new)

2A Gem of a Problem
Kindle edition: ASIN: B06XPGYSHD (No ISBN)
Amazon print edition: ISBN 978-0-6480348-1-0
Ingram print edition: ISBN 978-0-6480348-5-8
A Gem of a Problem Irene Sauman

2nd problem.
There are four copies of the same kindle edition of A Gem of a Problem with the previous cover. If these could be reduced to one kindle edition and one paperback that would be much more sensible.

...."

#2. Gem of a Problem:
**a. Kindle editions: I deleted 2 stray Kindle editions. Here are the remaining Kindle editions:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...
There are 2 of the same cover because there were apparently 2 different ASINs for that cover. Often there is a different AISN for different country's Amazon, so this is not uncommon in this case. The current ASIN is on the cover that shows up on Amazon at present. That ASIN was originally on the July 15th edition.

**b. If I have created an edition that is not correct please advise.

**c. Do not change valid information when publishing new editions of any format, regardless of paperback, ebook or Kindle, make new editions.

**d. I made newer print editions with the newest covers, based on what I found on Amazon. If these are not correct, please advise.

You should be able to set the default edition now. If you have any further issues or I have made any errors please advise.

message 6: by Irene (last edited Aug 05, 2020 08:25PM) (new)

Irene Sauman | 15 comments Hi Suzie. Thank you for your hard work. The covers as displayed at Amazon are the correct and latest ones. Will see if I can get it right now.
I'm sure indie authors must make librarians tear their hair sometimes :)
Thanks again. Irene