Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2020 Classic Bingo Challenge > Mohammed's 2020 Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mohammed (last edited Nov 10, 2020 05:45AM) (new)

Mohammed | 17 comments 2020 Bingo Challenge:

B1: Classic of Asia: The Temple of Dawn by Yukio Mishima
B2: Classic Tragedy: Beowulf
B3: Published 200 Years Ago: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
B4: Memoir, Autobiography, or Biography: The Travels by Marco Polo
B5: Classic of Europe: Bleak House by Charles Dickens

I1: Classic Mystery or Crime: The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
I2:
I3: Classic Drama or Play: Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare
I4:
I5: Classic Gothic or Horror: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo

N1: From Old School Classic Shelf prior to 2020: Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
N2: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize: The Sellout by Paul Beatty
N3: Reader’s Choice: Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
N4:
N5:

G1: Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy: Monkey: The Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en
G2: The Bigger Read List by English Pen: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
G3:
G4: Banned Book: Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
G5: Classic Science or Philosophy: The Republic by Plato

O1: Classic of Africa: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
O2:
O3: O3: Book Published the Year You Were Born: The Fox / The Captain's Doll / The Ladybird by D.H. Lawrence
O4: Classic Adventure: The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope
O5:

message 2: by Mohammed (last edited Aug 02, 2020 05:09AM) (new)

Mohammed | 17 comments For I2, here are my favorite books:

1. The Odyssey
2. Invisible Man
3. Moby Dick
4. Don Quixote
5. Les Misérables

And some of my favorite authors:

1. Thomas Hardy
2. Alexander Dumas
3. Mark Twain
4. Rudyard Kipling
5. John Steinbeck

It would be great if you could suggest a new book or author which matches my reading appetite.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9603 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge, Mohammed. I'll have to think about recommendations for you, but in the meantime I hope you have fun with the challenge.

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1578 comments Good luck on your challenge, Mohammed.
One of my favourite Victorian authors, other than Hardy, is Anthony Trollope.

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3276 comments I just read The Dialogue of the Dogs by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra . It's nice and short and you may like that one.

Good luck on your challenge Mohammed.

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4024 comments Welcome to the challenge, Mohammed. You've named some excellent favorites, and I wonder if you've read any Fyodor Dostoyevsky or James Baldwin?

The group is currently reading Steinbeck's East of Eden and I'm loving it. I can see why Steinbeck is one of your favorite authors.

message 7: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 17 comments Katy wrote: "Welcome to the challenge, Mohammed. I'll have to think about recommendations for you, but in the meantime I hope you have fun with the challenge."

message 8: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 17 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Good luck on your challenge, Mohammed.
One of my favourite Victorian authors, other than Hardy, is Anthony Trollope."

Barchester Towers is the first work I read for Trollope, I hope to read more of his works in the future. I am reading Bleak House for Charles Dickens now and it was one of his best works.

message 9: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 17 comments Sue wrote: "I just read The Dialogue of the Dogs by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra . It's nice and short and you may like that one.

Good luck on your challenge Mohammed."

Thanks for the suggestion. I never heard of this one before and it looks interesting. Unfortunately, it is hard to find a copy of this book.

message 10: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 17 comments Kathleen wrote: "Welcome to the challenge, Mohammed. You've named some excellent favorites, and I wonder if you've read any Fyodor Dostoyevsky or James Baldwin?

The group is curren..."

I haven't read anything for Dostoyvesky or Baldwin yet. I always wanted to read something for the Russian author but I don't know why I didn't do it yet. Thanks for your suggestions. Enjoy East of Eden.

message 11: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 17 comments Carrie wrote: "If you liked Invisible Man, you may like Native Son. Both of these are powerful reads."

I read Native Son and it was an amazing experience. I might revisit it in the future. I like Ralph Ellison and his poetic style. I recently read The Sellout by Paul Beatty and it reminded me of Invisible Man, it is worth reading.

message 12: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4982 comments Mod
Not sure I can make a good recommendation that wouldn’t be a duplicate to one you have already read. But since you like Hardy, I’ll recommend Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell and earlier this year I read Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling

message 13: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3380 comments Mod
Hello. Since you like Mark Twain you might enjoy The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg. It is an ironic novella