message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1743 comments Mod
Discuss our August 2020 Completist Selection here

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Let the Gatsby begin!

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting on Saturday. Check out my review for my journey with Gatsby from High School until today:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Benjamin | 22 comments My copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I am excited to pick it up!

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Benjamin wrote: "My copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I am excited to pick it up!"

Awesome! I hope you enjoy!

Benjamin | 22 comments Just picked it up. I already like the casual, colloquial tone the narrator takes.

message 7: by Pooja (new) - added it

Pooja  Jha (poojajha) | 3 comments Am I the only one who is not finding it interesting yet ??

message 8: by Benjamin (last edited Aug 14, 2020 02:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Benjamin | 22 comments Pooja wrote: "Am I the only one who is not finding it interesting yet ??"

I have so far only read the first two (of nine) chapters. Given how short the book is I am really surprised how slowly the build-up moves. I really like the narrator's voice but I am slightly baffled by the pace of it.

message 9: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pooja wrote: "Am I the only one who is not finding it interesting yet ??"

I didn't in high school, but I enjoyed it during my reread this year. Maybe that is because I listened to it in double-time? Brought the pace up a lot! :)

message 10: by Pooja (new) - added it

Pooja  Jha (poojajha) | 3 comments Matthew wrote: "Pooja wrote: "Am I the only one who is not finding it interesting yet ??"

I didn't in high school, but I enjoyed it during my reread this year. Maybe that is because I listened to it in double-tim..."

I had read that in your review..I was just curious to know what you found interesting in your second reading or, I mean what caught your attention in second reading which you didn't find in your first reading?or is it just that the understanding gets better with time?:):)

message 11: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pooja wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Pooja wrote: "Am I the only one who is not finding it interesting yet ??"

I didn't in high school, but I enjoyed it during my reread this year. Maybe that is because I listened to ..."

I think it is the understanding of the story and having seen the movie. Also, I ended up reading a lot of Hemingway and about Hemingway and his relationship with the Fitzgeralds. So, since the first time, I have a lot more points of reference. I can definitely understand you struggling, though - I was there once! :)

Benjamin | 22 comments I have just finished it and given it four stars. Though it hasn't become one of my favourites I think it's a very well written novel and technically quite interesting. I wasn't always completely hooked on the story (which I find rather conventional) but I like the craft and I really like Nick's voice which gives so much space for second-guessing. I also really love that the novel leaves a lot of questions about Jay Gatsby open.