J.D. Robb discussion

Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
This topic is about Secrets in Death
In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Secrets in Death Buddy Read - August 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 30, 2020 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13446 comments Mod
The chic Manhattan nightspot Du Vin is not the kind of place Eve Dallas would usually patronize, and it’s not the kind of bar where a lot of blood gets spilled. But that’s exactly what happens one cold February evening.

The mortally wounded woman is Larinda Mars, a self-described “social information reporter,” or as most people would call it, a professional gossip. As it turns out, she was keeping the most shocking stories quiet, for profitable use in her side business as a blackmailer. Setting her sights on rich, prominent marks, she’d find out what they most wanted to keep hidden and then bleed them dry. Now someone’s done the same to her, literally—with a knife to the brachial artery.

Eve didn’t like Larinda Mars. But she likes murder even less. To find justice for this victim, she’ll have to plunge into the dirty little secrets of all the people Larinda Mars victimized herself. But along the way, she may be exposed to some information she really didn’t want to know…

February 2061

Character List
(view spoiler)

Spoiler Info
(view spoiler)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2435 comments I'm in.

I love this story, but I'm still not a fan of DeWinter.

Michelle | 2341 comments Can wait to start.

BTW where is Sandra? I hope she okay...

Sandra’s husband is ill and she needs the time to focus on his care right now. Thanks for asking.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1318 comments Our prayers go out to Sandra and her husband. May he feel better soon

Michelle | 2341 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sandra’s husband is ill and she needs the time to focus on his care right now. Thanks for asking."

Thank you Jonetta. I'm sending positive and strong vibes her way.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2435 comments So sorry to hear this. My prays go out to her family.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1318 comments Start it today

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10412 comments Mod
Open discussion begins tomorrow (8th). Needless to say with my husband's illness, I'm running late with all my reads. I'll return as soon as I can. And again, all the kind words & prayers are much appreciated.

Phrynne | 308 comments I started it today and Eve already has me laughing with her issues with the expressions we use.
So glad things are working out for you Sandra:)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1318 comments Love the opening scene with Eve and Dewitt. Do you thing Eve a little over protective of Morris?

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1318 comments Do you realize that we are five more Book before we restart the in death series?

Michelle | 2341 comments Barbara "Cookie" wrote: "Do you realize that we are five more Book before we restart the in death series?"

So happy you said and not me^_^
And yes I realized we're almost at that point.ans I'm ready to start it all over again.

I heard that!!! LOL!

I'm still not finished - I'll be back!

message 16: by Phrynne (last edited Aug 09, 2020 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne | 308 comments Reading them all again would take us to 2025. No - 2026 because she is still writing them!
That's a scary thought

Michelle | 2341 comments That's what I thought the first time we got all caught up and started from the beginning. Then we did it the second time! This is after I'd read most before we started the buddy read. So I don't know what more scarier. What you said or that I'll be doing a buddy read of this series for a possible 3rd time 😂

message 18: by Michelle (last edited Aug 09, 2020 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michelle | 2341 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote:

I'm still not finished - I'll be back!"

We're patient. This for me was very relaxed anyway.

Phrynne | 308 comments Yes I very much enjoy the one book a month method.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments I cannot believe that I've read 46 books! This buddy read has been amazing :)

I'm late getting to the discussion on Secrets.

I know the jury is still out on DeWinter for some. Did DeWinter's explanation of her relationship with Morris to Eve change anyone's mind? Do you think Eve is a little protective or oversensitive when it comes to Morris?

The more time passes, the less sympathetic a victim Mars becomes. Did this in any way change the urgency to find her killer in your eyes?

Eve does NOT pursue the probable killer of Big Rod, the youth center mentor who really was a child predator. Did you agree or disagree with her decision? Why or why not?

Bill Hyatt annoyed both Eve and Peabody right away. Did you suspect him of being involved in Mars' murder? Do you think he was on Eve's radar as a potential murderer or just someone who needed putting in his place?

Michelle | 2341 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I'm late getting to the discussion on Secrets.

I know the jury is still out on DeWinter for some. Did DeWinter's explanation of her relationship with Morris to Eve change anyone's mind? Do you th..."

I think this jury member will always be out of DeWinter. I'm starting to maybe like her. And I think Eve is a little protective of Morris. I can't explain why I think that. I find it interesting how he did become one of her persons. She will always be protective of those who she let's in.

Michelle wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I'm late getting to the discussion on Secrets.

I know the jury is still out on DeWinter for some. Did DeWinter's explanation of her relationship with Morris to..."

Great way to put it, Michelle...Morris is now "one of hers". Love that & agree!

Michelle | 2341 comments This book was so relaxed. Like a filler. Don't think this will be a stand out for me. The case and the victim? She was really dispicable. Preying on those who had suffered. And really nothing about her was likable.

What did stand out was the couples. Peabody being concerned about McNab. Eve and Roarke of course, working on they're coupledom. And for a change this was Roarke having a breakthrough. Him and Summerset.

message 28: by Mdy (new)

Mdy | 204 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I'm late getting to the discussion on Secrets.

I know the jury is still out on DeWinter for some. Did DeWinter's explanation of her relationsh..."

I think it's hard to think of her as one of Eve's Group/People because she just doesn't show up very often. Who knows if the thing with Morris grows into something we may get to know her a little better. I'd also love to see more of Crack & the Doc! Think it's time for J.D. to write a catch up with the people book.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2435 comments I don't think I will ever be a DeWinter fan. She is good at her job. I like how she picked up on the fact that Mars lied about her age right off the bat. She appears to be a good managers and it seems like her staff respects her skills.

My issue (I've said this before) I don't like how she tries to take over from Eve. It didn't sit right in Concealed, and she still doesn't work for me. The funny thing is I am normally a fan of "people I love to hate" but not DeWinter.

I know Robb said she isn't going to turn her and Morris into anything more than friends, but I don't trust DeWinter. Maybe I'm overly protective of Morris too. LOL

Also, I don't like how "Eve's people" including Roarke, think she is so wonderful. They pulled her into their group right off the bat. Maybe it is the subtle way she hit on Roarke in Concealed that turned me off her so much that I can't get over it.

Fortunately Eve doesn't need Dewinter's skills in most of her cases. It keeps her in the background.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2435 comments I don't know if I would call the book a filler as much as a way to bring DeWinter front and center.

I thought the case was interesting the way Larinda manipulated people for so long before someone struck out at her. There were a lot of suspects although I guessed the assistant as soon as he appeared. I usually need a brick to hit me in the head before I guess the murderer.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2435 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Eve does NOT pursue the probable killer of Big Rod, the youth center mentor who really was a child predator. Did you agree or disagree with her decision? Why or why not?"

I agreed with her decision. I loved the scene where Eve was weighing the best way to handle the situation. She realized that she let Roarke down, but he never came right out and gave her grief. These situations are the most difficult for Eve and Roarke.

Michelle | 2341 comments That is one of Robb's great talent I love. All these characters we've met before that pop in now and again. I mean we'd met Mars before. A short scene and not real memorable in the scheme of things. Makes me thing who in future might be a next victim or possible enemy

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I know the jury is still out on DeWinter for som..."

I think I'm in the minority, but I've never had a problem with De Winter.

She is a strong willed and intelligent woman. I never got the impression that she was after Morris in any way. In fact, she's been good for him and if they got together, I wouldn't mind.

For me, Eve's issues with her seem to stem from the fact that they are too much alike. Eve subconsciously recognizes this and is trying to come to terms with it.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "The more time passes, the less sympathetic a victim Mars becomes. Did this in any way change the urgency to find her killer in your eyes?"

If the killer had turned out to be anyone other than Bill, I would have given them a medal.

This is one of the weaker books for me and Mar's character plays a large part in that.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Eve does NOT pursue the probable killer of Big Rod, the youth center mentor who really was a child predator. "

Big Rod was not one of Eve's victims. If he had been, she would have done her absolute best to catch his killer. The fact that she isn't going out of her way to stand for him doesn't bother me in the least.

That said, this is one of the many loose ends in the book that I would have liked to have resolved.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Bill Hyatt annoyed both Eve and Peabody right away. .."

Yes, I suspected him immediately. It was obvious that he was lying about his whereabouts and I knew he could have found a way to trick the building's system.

His obsession with Annie also made it clear that he would have killed to "protect" her.

This is another reason the book didn't resonate.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Michelle wrote: "And for a change this was Roarke having a breakthrough. Him and Summerset."

I really enjoyed this aspect of the story. I love the insights into Roarke and Summersets' relationship and how Eve continues to surprise them both.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Sharon wrote: "My issue (I've said this before) I don't like how she tries to take over from Eve. It didn't sit right in Concealed, and she still doesn't work for me."

Interesting. For me, De Winter was doing her job. She's not a detective and she knows this, so I didn't see her as trying to usurp Eve's role.

Lauren wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I know the jury is still out on DeWinter for som..."

I think I'm in the minority, but I've never had a problem with De Winter.

She is a strong willed and inte..."

I actually feel the same way about DeWinter, Lauren. I don't have an issue with her.

DeWinter rubbed me wrong upon her introduction but I’m ambivalent about her now. Still waiting for Robb to give her some more flavor.

Michelle | 2341 comments Yes Jonetta. Because I just know their is something coming. Might wait 5 books or more but something is coming.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2435 comments Lauren wrote: "Sharon wrote: "My issue (I've said this before) I don't like how she tries to take over from Eve. It didn't sit right in Concealed, and she still doesn't work for me."

Interesting. For me, De Wint..."

I didn't have a problem with her doing her job, it was when she wanted to go to the press even though Eve didn't want that. Eve was afraid it would hurt her case. DeWinter wanted publicity. At least that is the way I see it.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Jonetta wrote: " Still waiting for Robb to give her some more flavor."

Yes, I do think she is a character that needs more development. Not sure Robb will go down that road though.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Sharon wrote: "DeWinter wanted publicity. At least that is the way I see it.."

For me, this was a difference of opinion. Eve made her case and De Winter accepted it. I don't see De Winter as someone who seeks publicity. She's committed to her job in much the same way that Eve is.

message 45: by Mdy (new)

Mdy | 204 comments Sharon wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Sharon wrote: "My issue (I've said this before) I don't like how she tries to take over from Eve. It didn't sit right in Concealed, and she still doesn't work for me."

Interesting. ..."

I just think old habits come back in times of stress -- in her previous job she was the one who dealt with the press (if I'm remembering correctly). If she really wanted/needed the publicity or attention from the press she could have pursued it later.
She's still pretty much an unknown factor. I mean how bad can she be - she rescued a dog!

message 46: by Mdy (new)

Mdy | 204 comments Lauren wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Eve does NOT pursue the probable killer of Big Rod, the youth center mentor who really was a child predator. "

Big Rod was not one of Eve's victims. If he had b..."

I never really thought about it till now. Would be interesting to see if there is a "Cold Case Department" (ya know, sometimes I forget this is fiction).

One of the things I love most about this group's discussions, especially on this series, is the many different viewpoints. It makes it interesting and thought-provoking and often causes me to take another look at a particular person or scene. Great participation. Thanks to all of you!

message 48: by Sharon (last edited Aug 30, 2020 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2435 comments Mdy her saving the dog is her saving grace for me. If not for that I would wish her gone. LOL

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Mdy wrote: "I just think old habits come back in times of stress -- in her previous job she was the one who dealt with the press (if I'm remembering correctly). "

That makes a lot of sense. It was a knee-jerk reaction. The fact that she has not courted the press since then would seem to confirm this.

In complete agreement about the dog! It's even possible that this is why I'm more lenient when it comes to her :)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 952 comments Mdy wrote: "Would be interesting to see if there is a "Cold Case Department" (ya know, sometimes I forget this is fiction)
."

ooh! A possible spin-off series . . .

« previous 1