Children's Books discussion

Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
This topic is about Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective
Themes, Topics & Categories > puzzles, games, and mini-mysteries

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 6467 comments Mod
I love the Encyclopedia Brown stories. I want more like that, more brain-teasers, riddles, etc. Most puzzles for adults are too hard to be fun, imo.

Mindtrap is a terrific 'card' game, exactly at the level I'm looking for, but we've gone through the whole deck.

The Word Snoop has at least one puzzle in it, but from the first part of it that I've seen, it looks way too easy. (they should give the hint after the second or third part, imo!)

I really liked The Gollywhopper Games trilogy and The Seventh Level and highly recommend them. They've got great stories in addition to fun puzzles.

message 2: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

I could try Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library again, now that I see there are sequels... ditto The Mysterious Benedict Society... but they didn't really work for me when I read them before (though I don't remember why).

I just found Unriddling in a Little Free Library and have high hopes for it.

What else? Doesn't have to be a book or game, could be a magazine or app... not too easy or childish, not too frustrating... and if there's a story, it better be worth reading.

Not too fussy, am I? :grin: All suggestions welcome, even if they're not exactly what I'm looking for, as maybe someone else will be interested in the thread. :)

message 3: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 43 comments I recommend the Book Scavenger series.

message 4: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ah yes. I did read the first one of those. I don't remember if the reader solved the puzzles, though, or if the characters did?

message 5: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just as an aside, Tom Swifties are fun to create. Many examples are here: http://www.langston.com/Fun_People/19... (note that they're for adults, and some have 'mature content').

I also very much like the book A Children's Almanac of Words at Play. No story per se, but anecdotes that serve as a sort of sketch of a memoir, if you will... with, obv., at least 365 fun things to learn about or do with words.

message 6: by QNPoohBear (new) - added it

QNPoohBear | 1881 comments I was going to buy zombie boy Plants vs. Zombies: Brain Busters or Plants vs. Zombies: Brain Food but decided against it since he isn't reading proficiently yet. He did just move up a level though. I have no idea what that level is. The books looked cute for fans of the video game and a way to engage their brains without their brains being consumed by the zombie known as video game system.

message 7: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll look into those, though they're probably far too easy for me, thanks!

message 9: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you!

message 10: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (last edited Jul 25, 2020 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2501 comments Mod
I haven't seen or read this myself, but saw it on a list of MG mystery books in SLJ:

Super Puzzletastic ¬Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America by Various. HarperCollins/Harper. Jun. 2020.
This collection of 20 short mysteries offers a variety of puzzling capers by a range of authors. From stolen fundraising money to kidnapped squirrel monkeys to magical misdirection, each narrative presents a unique opportunity to practice deduction and problem-solving skills before the tale’s conclusion (solutions are offered in the back of the book).
Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America by Chris Grabenstein and others

message 11: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you!

message 12: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new) - rated it 3 stars

I came across this one on a list of suggestions for books with "unreliable narrators." Not sure how that fits this book, but it does have puzzles:
The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch
Two eleven-year-old misfits try to solve the mystery of a dead magician and stop the evil Dr. L and Ms. Mauvais, who are searching for the secret of immortality. This is the story of a secret, and also a secret story. This is the story of Cass and Max-Ernest, two friendless 11-year olds who come together to solve the mystery surrounding a dead magician and the clues he left behind. When they find a mysterious case containing vials of liquid labeled The Symphony of Smells with an encoded message asking for help, they decide to investigate. Along the way they must solve puzzles and word games and face incredible danger to answer their questions. They encounter the dark and looming Dr. L and his seemingly ageless accomplice, Ms. Mauvais, who have kidnapped one of their classmates in a desperate attempt to unlock the secrets of immortality.

message 13: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, I wonder. If "they must solve puzzles" is literally accurate, or if the reader is invited to solve along with them... There are indeed plenty of books in which the characters solve mysteries and puzzles, but those in which the reader has a clear opportunity to join in are more rare.

Still, I will look for this, and thank you!

message 14: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok, I wasn't overly impressed w/ Bosch.

But I did discover the set of You Be the Jury by Marvin Miller and they're like the best stories from Encyclopedia Brown so I'm thrilled!

Btw, at least some of Encyclopedia Brown's books are ebooks that are available on at least some libraries' websites through overdrive/libby.

message 15: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (last edited Aug 03, 2021 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just finished reading this one today:
Sleuth & Solve: History: 20+ Mind-Twisting Mysteries
This book has 22 mini mysteries that the reader solves either by using Logic or by using Imagination. The mysteries are classified by difficulty level, from 1 (very easy) to 6 (very difficult). All but one of the mysteries are presented on a double page spread. Clues are given in the text and the illustrations, and the solution is under a flap at the bottom of the second page. The mysteries are arranged in chronological order, from ancient times to the present. Many of the mysteries include famous people from history, but the mysteries themselves are fictitious. At the front of the book, the author also has suggestions for using the mysteries as a family competition or a team competition. It is illustrated with exaggerated cartoon artwork.
There is also another mini mystery book by the same author listed at Goodreads, which I have not seen:
Sleuth Solve: 20+ Mind-Twisting Mysteries:

message 16: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sleuth & Solve: 20+ Mind-Twisting Mysteries: by Victor Escandell

I was able to get this one from the library also. The main difference between this book and the one in the post above is that this one is not tied together by a theme. Otherwise, it is in exactly the same format as the one above.

message 17: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wonderful, thanks!

message 18: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beverly wrote: "I haven't seen or read this myself, but saw it on a list of MG mystery books in SLJ:

Super Puzzletastic ¬Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America by Various. Harp..."

I forgot to mention that I was able to get a library copy and read it in Jan. 2021. I did enjoy the mysteries and the puzzles.

message 19: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Now that this has been out for a year, I'm moving it from my 'pending' shelf forward. Thanks for the reminder!

message 20: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Aug 20, 2021 06:06AM) (new) - added it

Kathryn | 6012 comments Mod
The Lottie Lipton adventures by Dan Metcalf fit the bill. I love this series, set in 1928 London (centering around the Royal Museum). I admit that I don't really enjoy puzzles and riddles, so I didn't bother trying to solve these and can't say how good the riddles themselves are, but there are several per book. They series is geared for 7-11 year olds and they are quick reads.
First book, The Secrets of the Stone.

message 21: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you!