Running with Scissors Running with Scissors discussion

fresh material, interesting

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debbie kappel I liked the book very much, more than the movie. Just goes to show you how different lives are lead.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Diane I hated this book. I thought it was in such poor taste; I did not need to hear his sordid descriptions of sex (forced or otherwise), roaches crawling on dishes, and looking at human feces in the toilet to determine your financial future. That really did it for me. There is a site here called Books Against the Wall under Books I Loathed and that's where i put Running with Scissors.

message 3: by Katie (last edited Aug 03, 2008 06:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katie It is easy to condemn something that isn't understood, but that is the point. This life and craziness is as the quoted review states, that it is a story so insane it has to be real. It is acceptable to be repulsed, but there is always something to be learned from things that are wildly out of one's league in the land of tolerance toward the strange and absurd. It is extraordinary, literally, something "extra" more than "ordinary".

Rose Ann This is a tough one...I liked and disliked this book. I enjoyed reading all the bizarre details (could have done without the descriptive details of his sexual encounters with Bookman). It is almost unbelievable some of the things that occured in this memoir. I was disappointed also, to read, after the fact, that alot of the truth was stretched and that a lawsuit was made by the psychiatrist's family members (they won the lawsuit)
So after reading it, I wonder....how much of it really was non-fiction?