The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > What else are you watching?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 994 (994 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

message 1: by Tamahome (last edited Jul 13, 2020 09:23PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments I finally saw Neil Gaimain's Stardust with my mom on Netflix. For some reason the dialog was hard to hear, so I had the large subtitles on. I enjoyed it, and am tempted to read the book. Was the pirate captain the same in the book? I learned the importance of a good haircut. I thought that was a good role for Michelle Pfeiffer.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1345 comments I really enjoyed the fairy tale nature of the book. Yes, the captain of the ship was the same in the book.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I don’t recall Stardust very well, just De Niro goofing off. De Niro usually isn’t good at comedy, basically he just mugs for the camera, but I remember he did a passable job here.

I did watch The Old Guard on Netflix, which I liked quite a lot. The comic is good but the movie is better.

I also watched Extraction, which is okay. It’s kind of a one-note action piece, but it is well made.

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments Which Extraction?

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Doesn’t matter.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments Chris Hemsworth and Bruce Willis would disagree.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 412 comments Tamahome wrote: "...Was the pirate captain the same in the book?..."

No. The role was significantly expanded to accommodate DeNiro.

Trike wrote: "I don’t recall Stardust very well, just De Niro goofing off. De Niro usually isn’t good at comedy, basically he just mugs for the camera, but I remember he did a passable job here...."

Agree 100%.

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6896 comments Mod
Season 3 of Killing Eve from my DVR. That was alright.

I also finally got to starting The Boys. I had wanted to read all the graphic novels first, but decided I've read enough to be safe to watch season 1.

I've also been watching One Piece and Schitt's Creek on Netflix

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2304 comments I watched the original 1981 Clash of the Titans (in honor of Ray Harryhausen's 100th birthday a couple of weeks ago), now conveniently streaming on Netflix.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I'm finally watching Season 4 of The Expanse (and also, finally convinced my husband to watch this show so he watched 1-3 on his own.) I only ever read book 1 so the rest of the story is full of surprises for me, so at this point I've been like !!! about (view spoiler)

I know there is a separate Expanse thread but I don't want spoilers so I'm waiting to go there until I'm done. I hope to find out why the one character (I just can't keep names in my head!) is a different actor this season....

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2497 comments Watched and enjoyed The Old Guard on Netflix. Ordered The Old Guard, Book Two: Force Multiplied from my local comic shop, due out in September.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 174 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I'm finally watching Season 4 of The Expanse (and also, finally convinced my husband to watch this show so he watched 1-3 on his own.) I only ever read book 1 so the rest of the story is full of su..."

The actor who played Arsavala's husband is a new guy. (I probably spelled it wrong) We could also have a shake up for a major character...but we will just see what happens.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 282 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I hope to find out why the one character (I just can't keep names in my head!) is a different actor this season"

The actor who played Arjun picked up a different show when The Expanse was cancelled, and so wasn't available when Amazon took over. Not a juicy mystery, sorry!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I hope to find out why the one character (I just can't keep names in my head!) is a different actor this season"

The actor who played Arjun picked up a different show ..."

They have such different presences to them, it's really interesting to me.

message 15: by Tamahome (last edited Jul 17, 2020 11:58AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments I really enjoyed Expanse book 2, Jenny, with Avasarala and Bobbie. It's a little different from the tv show. I also think the episodes adapting the second book are the best shows (part of seasons 2 and 3). Avasarala curses like a sailor in the book, lol. Book 2 isn't exactly season 2. There's some overlap. How do the seasons of Expanse (TV series) correspond to the books? I also miss the ending of book 2 from the show: (view spoiler)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Tamahome wrote: "I really enjoyed Expanse book 2, Jenny, with Avasarala and Bobbie. It's a little different from the tv show. I also think the adaption of the second book are the best shows. Avasarala curses like a..."

I no longer have the books in my head, I only read the first one. This is one case where I prefer the show!

message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1345 comments There are new characters that are not in the book, book characters that are absent or combined with another character. To me the Expanse book series is the best SF of the decade.

message 18: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Stephen wrote: "There are new characters that are not in the book, book characters that are absent or combined with another character. To me the Expanse book series is the best SF of the decade."

I’d probably choose Murderbot, but I wouldn’t kick Expanse out of bed for eating protomolecules.

message 19: by Tamahome (last edited Jul 17, 2020 04:07PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments I wouldn't kick Bobbie out of bed. Not that I could, with the way I imagine her in the books. (In Caliban's war, Bobbie is 100 kg/220 lbs of pure muscle, 2 meters/6.5 feet tall.)

Favorite Bobbie catchphrase from the show (season 3 episode 1): (view spoiler)

message 20: by Phil (last edited Jul 18, 2020 10:14AM) (new)

Phil | 1154 comments I recently watched Daybreak on Netflix and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. It felt like a mash-up of The Walking Dead and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
I also just finished a multi-months long rewatch of Star Trek: The Next Generation. What a great pleasure it still is to watch. Sure, there are a few clunkers, especially in the first couple seasons, but when it's good, it shines. Watching Patrick Stewart act in particular is pure joy.
Some of the "social message" episodes seem like they were written with today in mind as well.
As an aside I wonder why Star Fleet picks such shitty people as admirals.

message 21: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments I like the one where they're caught in a repeating loop.

message 22: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Tamahome wrote: "I like the one where they're caught in a repeating loop."

The wonky time eps are my favorite.

message 23: by Tamahome (last edited Jul 18, 2020 07:17PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments So I saw The Old Guard. It was action packed, as I expected. It's based on a Greg Rucka comic, and he wrote the screenplay. I'm glad to see the character at the end, but I wish it happened sooner. There's a lot of kick ass women on Netflix these days, between this, Cursed, and Warrior Nun. I'll always think of Chiwetel Ejiofor as the villian from the Serenity movie (2005).

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 174 comments My husband is obsessed with this Turkish show on Netflix :

https://g.co/kgs/2GwPVF

He is from Kashmir and all his family are watching it. From what I have watched it is very well done.

message 25: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I finished Altered Carbon season 2, which was quite good.

I then segued into Cursed but bailed after two episodes. It’s just clunkily written, with the sort of lazy, painful, on-the-nose dialogue that makes me cringe.

“Hello mother.”
“Hello my daughter, who I have been training to be the special chosen one. If only your father were here.”
“Tell me the entire history of the world and don’t forget to explicitly underscore our religious beliefs.”

Pass. Next.

message 26: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments Jennifer wrote: "My husband is obsessed with this Turkish show on Netflix :

He is from Kashmir and all his family are watching it. From what I have watched it is very well done."

Is Resurrection: Ertugrul fantasy? I see that it's subtitled.

message 27: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2304 comments There seem to be a surprising number of Turkish series up on Netflix -- they must have a pretty healthy domestic film industry.

I've been watching The Protector, a modern-day urban fantasy series set in Istanbul about a young guy who discovers he's supposed to be saving the world from Dark Powers.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7668518/...

message 28: by Tamahome (last edited Jul 20, 2020 09:02AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments French movies too. I enjoyed "Lost Bullet" (don't mess with car mechanics) and "MILF". They're both dubbed.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 174 comments Tamahome wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "My husband is obsessed with this Turkish show on Netflix :

He is from Kashmir and all his family are watching it. From what I have watched it is very wel..."

It is based on a historical figure.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 174 comments Netflix has a large number of many "foreign" shows and movies, from all over, Korea, India, Turkey, Belgium, I think its great!

message 31: by Tamahome (last edited Jul 20, 2020 09:54AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments I know The Baker and the Beauty was based on a show with the same name from Isreal. You can watch the original on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Baker-Beauty-S...

message 32: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1603 comments Joseph wrote: "There seem to be a surprising number of Turkish series up on Netflix -- they must have a pretty healthy domestic film industry."

This is just an idea, but I know some high budged films have been made there recently, like Blade Runner 2049. So I wonder if they had the strong film industry first (and that attracted the productions), or if the shooting of those films (because it was more economical) brought the skills, and gear to the area. Or I guess it could have been a bit of a snowball effect where both things happened. Either way, glad to hear about it.

message 33: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2512 comments Currently watching series two of NOS4A2 and the final season of Agents of Shield. Deleted the whole last season of Legends of Tomorrow from my DVR after watching the first two episodes (formulaic DC crap). Forged in Fire is still on my watch list, as is anything with Gordon Ramsay.
On Amazon Prime I found the old British SF show Sapphire and Steel with David McCallum and Joanna Lumley. It's one of those weird ones where nothing is ever really explained:)

message 34: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments AndrewP wrote: "Forged in Fire is still on my watch list, as is anything with Gordon Ramsay."

I binged through all three seasons of Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back in the early days of quarantine.

message 35: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrichmer) | 135 comments Just binged Cursed on Netflix. I'm all for an Arthurian retelling, but this one is pretty underwhelming. Feels very geared toward a YA audience--not necessarily a bad thing, but not my preference. I wonder if the graphic novel is any better. Has anyone read it?

message 36: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments New batch of trailers with lots of SFF and horror: https://youtu.be/rrARCeurxTw

message 37: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rant-review of Cursed: https://youtu.be/52mAFuAomXY

Yep to all that.

“Tokyo Drift horse is the going theory here.” 😂

message 38: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2512 comments Trike wrote: "New batch of trailers with lots of SFF and horror: https://youtu.be/rrARCeurxTw"

MadHeidi looks great!

message 39: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments The first Swissploitation movie!

message 40: by Calvey (new)

Calvey | 107 comments Giri/Haji on Netflix. Really enjoyed it. Very well done.

message 41: by Tamahome (last edited Jul 24, 2020 07:19PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments Wow, 100 tomatoes for Giri/Haji. 🍅https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/gir...

What's Swissploitation? Oh, Mad Heidi? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eWiB...

message 42: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Ooh, Norsemen season 3 just dropped.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 174 comments I watched Color Out of Space . It was more horror than I was expecting. I can't say watch it, but yet I can't say don't.

message 44: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 507 comments My wife had me sit down and watch the first season of Umbrella Academy this week, so that we can watch the new season together when it comes out on the 31st.

A fun show!

message 45: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1603 comments Ok, I thought someone had mentioned "Palm Springs" on here before. But I can't seem to find it. Either way, I just watched it, and it Frickin Rocks!

It's on Hulu, if you see who's in it you can guess it's a comedy, and it is, but the less you know beyond that the better. I went in blind on a few recommendations I've heard recently, and they were completely right. The acting is great, and the writing is exceptional, and fairly funny as well. This is by far my favorite 2020 movie I've seen so far. And I know that isn't saying much this year, but it's still something. Oh, and that may not include Hamilton, since I wouldn't call that "New" this year.

message 46: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1603 comments Ok, not quite sure where to fit this in, but also don't think it justifies a post on it's own. So I figured this would randomly fit in here, maybe? When I'm a bit board I have a few Craigs List searches I do, and one is for older cars in the area. I'm not looking to buy, but you see interesting things pop up, and it sort of allows you to keep in the back of your head where the price of things are at. Well this was an interesting one that I thought this crowd might enjoy.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/...

Under different times, and different circumstances I might even consider buying it just for the Hitchhikers Guide reference. But I also find it a bit of a cool old car. With a few fix ups, I think it would be a fun one to ride around in a bit. I know they are probably more prevalent over in the UK, but over here I really haven't seen many.

message 47: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Ok, not quite sure where to fit this in, but also don't think it justifies a post on it's own. So I figured this would randomly fit in here, maybe? When I'm a bit board I have a few Craigs List sea..."

117 follows me around. It might be telling you something.

message 48: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1160 comments Anyone else been watching The Untamed? It seems to have completely taken over parts of the internet...
The first few episodes are super-confusing but I’m getting into it now. The sfx are a bit cheesy but the sets and costumes are really sumptuous (it’s set in the Chinese version of fantasy medieval Europe) and the main characters are kind of adorable.

message 49: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 490 comments I've just started season five of my first watch through of Brooklyn Nine-nine, which is becoming my favorite show. Why did I take so long to watch it?

I'm also watching Psych for the first time. It's goofy but makes me laugh.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 412 comments I started watching Locke and Key with my daughter yesterday. It's pretty good so far.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20