What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Olivia Kidney
This topic is about Olivia Kidney
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA. Book about girl who lives in an apartment with odd neighbors such as a former pirate who's now an old man etc. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Otto | 2 comments Hey folks. So, when I was in 4th grade (2005), my teacher read us a book about a young girl in an apartment complex. At one point, she meets a little old lady and a little old man. It turns out that the little old man used to be a pirate and killed the old lady's father when they took over her cruise ship years ago. Back then the little old lady and the old man (pirate) ended up stranded on a deserted island. She was able to break him down and that is why he is now subservient to her in their old age. This is all revealed over time, and the resolution is shocking when you discover the old man is the pirate from the story. This whole thing is only a side-plot, though. It is just what I remember the most. The old man at one point describes choking the father and recalls that his neck felt soft and "like dough."

Sorry that this is so vague and my memory is so selective. I can't recall much else in terms of specifics. My 4th grade teacher read us lots of cool stories in a similar vein of weird events occurring such as Coraline, and A Wrinkle in Time. He made me love books in a way I hadn't before and was wondering if anyone can help me find what this one was called.

Otto | 2 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Olivia Kidney"

Thank you !!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19595 comments No prob, glad to help out!