Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)
This topic is about Thunderhead
Buddy Reads (Just Read It!) > Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe #2)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
Joanna & I are planning to start this Jun-1 or around about then, if anyone is like to join in :)

Joanna (walker) | 469 comments And it fits the June shelf....

Susan | 3450 comments Mod
I just read this in February, but I may lurk here. I'll only pop in to say something if I can be sure I'm keeping straight what I learned when, so I don't spoil anything for anyone.

Stacey (boydsmom) | 280 comments I just got a copy so I'll try to join/keep up. :)

Joanna (walker) | 469 comments Started this while eating breakfast...looking forward to reading this one.

Joanna (walker) | 469 comments I read the first 8 chapters yesterday. I'm very interested to read more about the Thundercloud as an entity. I think sentient AI is one of the more intriguing science fiction concepts and I'm always interested in different ways of casting these entities. I'll be interested to see whether this AI thinks of itself as having a gender, or if it's even addressed in this book.

Also, I'm loving the idea of giving people a warning before gleaning. The random and immediate gleaning always felt especially cruel to me.

I've only read 2 chapters so far (had to finish up a review book that's due today) but I'll catch up today!

I only vaguely remember the end of book 1 so struggled a bit there :p

I don't know about warning, not sure if I want to know it's time for me to go. But I guess in a way it helps to know so you sort out things that needed sorting out before you go.

message 8: by Tien (last edited Jun 04, 2020 01:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wondering what chapter you're up to, Joanna?

While I have time, I'm going to try to catch up (:

Edit: I've read up to ch 13

Joanna (walker) | 469 comments I've now read through Chapter 15.

I'm enjoying the book and the way that there are several storylines moving forward at once. I'm also basically happy to have a break from having too many descriptions of specific gleanings (and the ones by Lucifer feel justified rather than universe-is-a-dick randomness).

Stacey (boydsmom) | 280 comments I'm a little behind -- just finished Chapter 6. My biggest issue right now is trying to dig the memory of the first book out as its been a while since I finished. Unfortunately I have NO memory of the Thunderhead from the first book. Oops. But finding it easy and interesting reading.

message 11: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm like you, Stacey, I don't remember quite as much as I'd like to from the first book.

What I like most, so far, is Thunderhead's sections in the book -what would you call these? journal entries? I like his references to illusions (I'll put it in spoilers since Stacey is a little behind)

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read up to chapter 25.

Loving the Greyson thread!

message 13: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm up to chapter 35 - I'm fully shaking from the all the excitement!!

or it could also be the cold. bit chilly these days lol

message 14: by Susan (last edited Jun 07, 2020 05:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacey wrote: "Unfortunately I have NO memory of the Thunderhead from the first book."

As I recall, Stacey (and Tien), there really wasn't much at all about the Thunderhead in the first book. Just vague references to it as the overall guardian/government/source of information. That's one of the things I really liked about this - getting a totally new perspective on things, since we only heard the humans' perspective in the earlier book. So I doubt that you're forgetting much.

Stacey (boydsmom) | 280 comments I'm not sure my exact location -- but I've finished (I think) the first 2 sections.

Tien, I'm enjoying the Greyson story as well. All the "unsavory" discussion from Thunderhead is pretty great. "Some people just need to challenge authority."

Thanks Susan, Its good to know I haven't completely lost it. :)

message 16: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments i like the Thunderhead as this omnisicent being

message 17: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished last night!

Sorry, can't help it....

That ending!!! omg - please tag me soon to tell me that you're ready for book 3 lol

message 18: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments this is where i say told you so right??

My library hold says I'm #12 on the wait list for 8 books, and estimates approx a 3 week wait. I'll understand if the rest of you don't wait for me.

message 20: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm good for a 3-weeks wait. I'm set for another buddy read to start this coming Sunday so I can wait a little ;)

Joanna? Stacey?

Joanna (walker) | 469 comments I'm still finishing Thunderhead -- up to Chapter 38 now. Busy week this week though, so may not read much before weekend.

message 22: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

Not to worry, Joanna - take your time & enjoy those endings :)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 280 comments I'm in the middle of chapter 25 -- so all the stuff is about to go down at the play. Very exciting!

I checked and since my physical library is STILL closed I have to get the ebook version of The Toll. I'm 33 on the list with 9 copies, so I have no idea how long it will take, so don't wait for me to start. Especially given the cliffhanger. :)

message 24: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

oh dear... you're in for a bit of a wait, Stacey :/

Stacey wrote: "I'm in the middle of chapter 25 -- so all the stuff is about to go down at the play. Very exciting!

I checked and since my physical library is STILL closed I have to get the ebook version of The Toll. I'm 33 on the list with 9 copies, so I have no idea how long it will take, so don't wait for me to start. Especially given the cliffhanger. :)
"

If they start without us, maybe you and I can do our own buddy-read, Stacey.

Joanna (walker) | 469 comments OMG! You are so right about the ending! So much excitement at the end.

I really like the development of the Thunderhead as a character with increasingly complicated emotions.

I started this series as a read-along with my 11-year-old, but now I'm hooked. I'm going to end up finishing these before he's done.

message 27: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

LOL - let me know if you want to buddy read The Toll, Joanna, or if you want to wait a bit so Susan &/or Stacey may join us. Not sure when that'll be though :)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 280 comments I just signed up for a free trial of Scribd, and they have it on there. So I can go in a week or two.

Joanna (walker) | 469 comments Tien wrote: "LOL - let me know if you want to buddy read The Toll, Joanna, or if you want to wait a bit so Susan &/or Stacey may join us. Not sure when that'll be though :)"

I'm going to start it this weekend. I'm excited to know what happens next.

message 30: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aaah, I've scheduled a buddy reads with Lusie to start tomorrow.

Plus one of my libraries are opening their doors on Monday and I've got to finish reading 3 more books so I can return them (yes, I've had them since February lol)

Not sure if I can squeeze in The Toll but I'll see how I go this week. May start it next weekend. Stacey, what do you think of next weekend?

I just received a notice that I can borrow the digital edition of The Toll. What did you decide about if/when to start it? Because if it's soon, I'm in. My loan will only be for 3 weeks, and I have 3 days to either check it out or let someone go ahead of me in line.

Joanna (walker) | 469 comments I've read about the first third of the Toll, but keep getting distracted by other books.

I passed up my turn since Tien and Stacey weren't ready yet. I'll be offered another chance to check it out as soon as the next one is returned.