What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Herbert: Five Stories
This topic is about Herbert
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's book: boy turns into various animals (notably capybara, snake), parents and friends find it normal, one day he is just himself. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Forsyth | 4 comments Children's book - I read as a child (1990s) in the UK. It was in English, seemed British and contemporary but cannot be sure. Each chapter or story was the boy turning into a different animal, I *think* his name was James, but again I can't be sure.

All I remember is his family and friends are pretty chill about him turning into animals, they're used to it. I think they're kind of bummed when he's just himself as it's not that exciting. I remember when he's a capybara, he eats a lot and they go to look up a book about capybaras to find out what to feed him (???)

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16144 comments Is this a picture book or a child's novel?

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Forsyth | 4 comments Not a picture book but not like a novel either. Definitely includes illustrations but slightly older age group than picture book (6-10 year olds??)

message 4: by Erica (last edited May 29, 2020 11:40AM) (new)

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments Could it be this? It looks promising, especially on the capybara and snake front, although it does look like a picture book and he's not called James. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Forsyth | 4 comments Omg Erica, that’s it! Thanks so much. Clearly not called James! Thank you thank you! Well done

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Forsyth | 4 comments I will update the post title when I’m on my laptop later but as identified by Erica, it’s Herbert by Ivor Cutler

Anisha_book_lover "Herbert: Five Stories" for the trackable and clickable link.

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that's the one! Capybaras are the best. I wasn't sure how to do the clickable title link though, sorry.

message 9: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited May 30, 2020 10:41AM) (new)

Anisha_book_lover Erica wrote: "You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that's the one! Capybaras are the best. I wasn't sure how to do the clickable title link though, sorry."

No worries! If you want to do this in the future, you press "add book/author" (which is above the comment box), and you type in the book that you want in order to link it. You can also link cover images, and authors. If there are too many results for a particular title, you can type both the title and the author to get the book that you looking for. This only works on the desktop website though, not the mobile website/app. Hope this helped :)

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments That's great, thanks so much for the tip! I can't see it on mine, but I'm on the app right now, so maybe that's why. I'll look out for it! Enjoy Herbert's adventures if you're rereading :)