Tracy Grant Book Club discussion

Rannoch Series > Ask the Author - TAVISTOCK PLOT

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 828 comments Mod
We started an interesting discussion on an old Ask the Author thread and there was a suggestion that we start a new one so people don't miss it. I'll paste the comments so far below - do comment on them and also use this thread to ask new questions.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 828 comments Mod
Recent Ask the Author Comments

Suzi: Dear Author:

You are getting a lot of insights on your characters from your fans. Do these insights every color how you write them?

Inquiring minds want to know.
;~}

Tracy: Good question! Not usually. I love getting people's takes on them but often what fascinates me is how different they are from my own. They're pretty clear in my mind. Going to the current discussion I know a lot about how things are going to play out with Julien, Kitty, and Carfax. But I had not thought of Julien ever having a romantic relationship until it became a topic here. At first I couldn't imagine Juliien in a romantic relationship, but the more I thought about it the more it intrigued me. Then when I went back to the scene from MASK that is now the Prologue, I realized the seeds of his being something of a romantic and wanting a family had been part of his character from the first.

Suzi: Do you see anything that would make Roth a primary character? I think he has so much potential.

Tracy: I think Roth May play a larger role in some upcoming books. I have a romance planned for him. And I have one book planned where he will be at the heart of the investigation...

Suzi: yay. I've always liked him - going back to Daughter.

Tracy: I like him too. He’ll always be at a bit of a distance because he’s connected officially to Bow Street, but I’ve had these two storylines in mind for him for the start

Kimberly: I agree with Suzi. I would like to see more Roth too. He seems to be on the fringes. Even when he appears at group gathering he doesn't seem to be in the heart of the action like say Bertrand or Manon.

Another question - We only see Simon's family on the outside, do you have any plans for them to be a bigger part of any books? Maybe issues with machine breakers?

Tracy: Yes, Roth has a very different roles in the group than Manon or Bertrand. He's not a former agent. He doesn't know the truth of Mélanie's past or of Raoul's. He doesn't know all of the Elsinore League story. He works for Bow Street and the chief magistrate of Bow Street reports to the home office. So it will always be a somewhat different dynamic.

Good question about Simon - yes, I have thought about a book centered round Simon's family. Probably not machine breakers with his immediate family since they have a brewing company, but a story set in northern England could involve machine breakers. And some of his cousins could have married into manufacturing families...

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 208 comments When you started adding to Julien's backstory did you always plan for him to be bi-racial or did it just happen when you decided Pamela was from the Caribbean and the slave trade?

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 828 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "When you started adding to Julien's backstory did you always plan for him to be bi-racial or did it just happen when you decided Pamela was from the Caribbean and the slave trade?"

I didn't plan for him to be biracial until I started working on his backstory for this book and then the idea came to me and it really seemed to fit him and his attitude towards Britain and and the establishment. Pamela's being biracial and an heiress with a fortune from trade who Julien's father married for her money fit the dynamic I saw with his parents. So I built the story from there.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 208 comments Tracy wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "When you started adding to Julien's backstory did you always plan for him to be bi-racial or did it just happen when you decided Pamela was from the Caribbean and the slave trade?"..."

It makes Julien's backstory more complex and his actions driven by a personal belief in how people treat other people. It also adds a layer to why he didn't want to work for the League. They are clearly out to only improve their wealth or their power. No consideration for anyone or anything else.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 828 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "When you started adding to Julien's backstory did you always plan for him to be bi-racial or did it just happen when you decided Pamela was from the Caribbean and the..."

Yes, I think so. He has an underlying set of quite strong principles. And with regards to the League there's also the fact that his father may have been a member...