Horror Aficionados discussion

The Graveyard Apartment
This topic is about The Graveyard Apartment
Group Reads > June Group Read #2- The Graveyard Apartment

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Latasha (last edited May 24, 2020 12:19PM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11042 comments Mod
Our 2nd group read for June is The Graveyard Apartment. Please use spoiler tags, %, and page numbers. Have fun and happy reading!

message 2: by Latasha (new)

i'm hoping to join in this one! i think this has been on my TBR for a while now.

Scott (ttownscott) Same here! I already own it. Now's the time to read it.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) My library had it for checkout!

message 5: by Kari (new) - rated it 1 star

Kari | 70 comments I hope to join in here! Looking forward to it

Jason | 435 comments I've just ordered a hard copy, should be with me Friday.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Y’all enjoy! I think I liked it when I read it.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6076 comments Mod
I've read this one already, but will drop in for the discussion!

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 9 comments Excited to read this!!!

Melissa (melissa52572) | 79 comments This is one of my all-time favorites. I loved it.

message 11: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie | 1656 comments Picked up my copy yesterday but I'll have to finish my other reads first.

Nicole | 5 comments I’ve been eyeballing this one for a little bit now. I’ve seen it recommended a few times in a FB horror book group I’m apart of. I just picked up my copy of it today, I’m pretty excited to start reading it Monday 😁

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Starts off slow, but soon I was feeling little prickles up my spine....

message 14: by Latasha (new)

I had planned on reading this but my sister is sick & in the hospital. Idk if I will get to or not now. I’ve not really been in the reading mood.

message 15: by Kasia (new) - added it

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3464 comments Mod
^ aw sorry to hear that Latasha, sending your sister best wishes of speedy recovery. Hugs.

message 16: by Latasha (new)

Thank you very much.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Pretty spooky ending!

message 18: by Kari (new) - rated it 1 star

Kari | 70 comments Latasha wrote: "I had planned on reading this but my sister is sick & in the hospital. Idk if I will get to or not now. I’ve not really been in the reading mood."

I hope your sister gets well soon.

message 19: by Kari (new) - rated it 1 star

Kari | 70 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Pretty spooky ending!"

I have not gotten to the ending, I'm a little under halfway (read up through chapter eight, I think). The spookiest thing that's happened so far is (view spoiler)

message 20: by Dana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dana Fontaine (danaschipporeit) | 322 comments I was so excited to read this book and I was into it until about 75% in. The ending was crazy though!! I felt like I was being gaslighted.

Gina *A Bookwyrm in Belgium* (nyogtha) | 64 comments I didn't enjoy this one as much as I had hoped to.

message 22: by Kari (new) - rated it 1 star

Kari | 70 comments I'm not all the way through it yet, but tentatively agree, Gina. There's nothing bad about it, but nothing particularly stands out either. The translation also seems a little awkward to me at times? Like I'm very aware of it, which pulls me out of the story somewhat.

Gina wrote: "I didn't enjoy this one as much as I had hoped to."

I felt this one was (view spoiler)

Chandler | 161 comments I'm about two thirds of the way through. I'm enjoying it so far. It's not bone-chilling but creepy at times.

message 25: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason | 435 comments Just finished the 1st chapter can't say I am feeling it

Chandler | 161 comments Just finished it. It was interesting enough. (view spoiler)

message 27: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason | 435 comments Just got past chapter 2, still not feeling it. In fact I'm a little bored....

Chandler wrote: "Just finished it. It was interesting enough. [spoilers removed]"

I agree....(view spoiler)

Nicole | 5 comments I’m still reading it. I’m a few chapters in and there are times that this grabs me and there are times that the dialogue just throws me. It feels forced or like a bad movie when I’m reading it at times.
I hope I start getting creeped soon. It sounds like it’s going to start getting creepy soon, if everyone in the book could just stop talking though that’d be fantastic 😅

message 30: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason | 435 comments I agree with Nicole

Nicole wrote: "I’m still reading it. I’m a few chapters in and there are times that this grabs me and there are times that the dialogue just throws me. It feels forced or like a bad movie when I’m reading it at t..."

LOL!!!

message 32: by Kari (new) - rated it 1 star

Kari | 70 comments Just finished. The dialogue is very cringe, and I can’t tell if it’s translation issues or just the writing? But I hated the end.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I think it's the translation.

message 34: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason | 435 comments Page 60, and I have ditched this book can not carry on this book has become a chore, to be blunt it is boring.

message 35: by Latasha (new)

well, after seeing all of your comments, i'm not going to bother with this one.

message 36: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie | 1656 comments Latasha wrote: "well, after seeing all of your comments, i'm not going to bother with this one."

I know tosh, I got it from the library so I think I'll give it a go, maybe a few chapters but throw in the towel if it gets too tedious.

message 37: by Latasha (new)

Melanie wrote: "Latasha wrote: "well, after seeing all of your comments, i'm not going to bother with this one."

I know tosh, I got it from the library so I think I'll give it a go, maybe a few chapters but throw..."

ok. i'll be watching to see what you think of it.

Chandler | 161 comments Latasha wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Latasha wrote: "well, after seeing all of your comments, i'm not going to bother with this one."

I know tosh, I got it from the library so I think I'll give it a go, maybe a few ch..."

How's your sister doing, Latasha?

message 39: by Latasha (new)

She’s back home and doing a lot better. Ty so much for asking.

message 40: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie | 1656 comments Nup. Chucking in the towel at 49.5 pages, tried to make it to 50 but just couldn't quite get there. I think there is some stuff lost in translation, like when the husband says something politely to his own brother, and I'm sure it's culturally appropriate, but more than that, there's a lot of telling rather than showing. This really irks me in books. Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age, or maybe I've actually just been spoilt with some really exception show-don't-tell authors (I'm looking at you Laird Barron, Adam Nevill, Brian Hodge, CassandraKhaw.......). I'm gonna go hunt me down some dreadfully unsettling lovecraftian creep-fest if anyone's interested. :)

message 41: by Latasha (new)

Sorry Melanie!

Gina *A Bookwyrm in Belgium* (nyogtha) | 64 comments I'm relieved to hear that I wasn't the only one to struggle with this novel. it did have some creepy moments but I didn't feel it built on them enough. I also agree with the rest of you that commented on the translation, it certainly felt like a factor. The book wasn't dreadful but I agree with Melanie, I think I have been spoiled but the quality horror available.

message 43: by Montzalee (new)

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) | 57 comments I can't get this from the library and it's too expensive for my blood!
Maybe catch the next book! 😀

Montzalee wrote: "I can't get this from the library and it's too expensive for my blood!
Maybe catch the next book! 😀"

Most libraries here still are not even doing curbside pickups.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Unless the bookclub chooses a book which our libraries have as an ebook, I can't get the book. Our libraries have been closed for almost three months now. Even the dropoff chutes are locked. I have five books I can't return!

aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Unless the bookclub chooses a book which our libraries have as an ebook, I can't get the book. Our libraries have been closed for almost three months now. Even the dropoff chutes are locked. I have..."

I don't even know if ours DOES the eBooks (we have a population of more cows than humans here...)

message 47: by Montzalee (new)

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) | 57 comments Kimberly wrote: "aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Unless the bookclub chooses a book which our libraries have as an ebook, I can't get the book. Our libraries have been closed for almost three months now. Even th..."
That's like mine but it is hooked to a larger one. That's where I check. 😁

message 48: by Montzalee (new)

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) | 57 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Unless the bookclub chooses a book which our libraries have as an ebook, I can't get the book. Our libraries have been closed for almost three months now. Even the dropoff chutes are locked. I have..."

I hope they are not charging you!

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I hope not!

: D

Actually, the last time I checked online, someone, probably a librarian, moved the due date to May 31. I think I should check again! Thanks for reminding me!

message 50: by Montzalee (new)

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) | 57 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "I hope not!

: D

Actually, the last time I checked online, someone, probably a librarian, moved the due date to May 31. I think I should check again! Thanks for reminding me!"

😁

« previous 1