The Sword and Laser discussion

How many S&L books had you read this year before they were announced? 2020 edition

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christos (new)

Christos | 166 comments This year I had read 3 out of 6 of the picks before they were announced so far. How many has everyone else read? I specifically read Memory Called Empire, Magician Apprentice and This Is How You Lose the Time War

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
Just the 1. Magician

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments Just 1 for me. The one I picked. :'-)

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3960 comments Not many. Pretty much just classics. One of the reasons to like this place, it expands reading horizons.

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1628 comments 3 out of 6.
1 I don't have any interest on.
2 I read after the selection but only 1 of them I am reading with the group at the same time.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8498 comments 3 for me.

Gideon the Ninth
Lose Time War
Memory Called Empire

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2355 comments This year, I'm in sync with S+L except for starting Memory Called Empire a few days before it was picked.

message 8: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 148 comments 5/6 for me. All except the Julie Czerneda one.

I did re-read Magician: Apprentice and am currently reading Magician: Master but otherwise, I've just been following along the discussions.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1052 comments I’d read both Magician: Apprentice (years ago) and This Is How You Lose the Time War (only a few months ago but I re-read it anyway).

However, with both Gideon the Ninth and now A Memory Called Empire I already owned the book and had it lined up ready to read next at the point the pick was announced. Which was convenient.

message 10: by Seth (new)

Seth | 331 comments I feel like I've been just a few months ahead. Read Gideon, Time War and now Memory. This time, I might reread as the group reads, which I didn't do before. Part of the reason is that I liked this one, but I also remember it being complex in a way that might benefit from rereading.

message 11: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (spriggana) | 86 comments 4/6: Gideon, Timewar, Magician (looong time ago) and Memory.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments 2/6: This is How You Lose the Time War and A Memory Called Empire

message 13: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1336 comments At 4/7 now, Magician, Memory, How to Lose the Time War and Black Leopard, Red Wolf ...

message 14: by Christos (new)

Christos | 166 comments 4/7 now too Black Leopard, Memory called Empire, magician and time war

message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8498 comments Christos wrote: "4/7 now too Black Leopard, Memory called Empire, magician and time war"
Iain wrote: "At 4/7 now, Magician, Memory, How to Lose the Time War and Black Leopard, Red Wolf ..."

Also 4/7 now.

Gideon Ninth
Time War
Memory Empire
Black Leopard

message 16: by Christos (new)

Christos | 166 comments 5/8 now including Elysium

message 17: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8498 comments Christos wrote: "5/8 now including Elysium"

You now have a comfortable lead!

message 18: by Christos (new)

Christos | 166 comments 6/9 now with 10k doors

message 19: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8498 comments 5/9 for me with 10k Doors.

If we can get Tom to choose Recursion for October, I’ll get another. It’s a cross between This Is How You Lose the Time War and The Ten Thousand Doors of January.

Hint hint.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments I had already read The Ten Thousand Doors of January, but thanks in part to its inclusion in the Sword & Laser March Madness tournament.

message 21: by Ian (RebelGeek) (new)

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 575 comments Me too 👆🏻

message 22: by Christos (new)

Christos | 166 comments Same

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8498 comments With Finder I’m now 6/10. This is a record-setting year for me.

message 24: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8498 comments Trike wrote: "With Finder I’m now 6/10. This is a record-setting year for me."

Finishing the year at 7/12, a record for me. One for the books!

...I crack myself up. 😜

message 25: by Joyce (last edited Nov 23, 2020 04:10PM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 173 comments Only 1, Howl's Moving Castle. and only Lemmed 1 Black Leopard

I think The Ten Thousand Doors of January and Finder Were my top book choices of this year so far.

message 26: by Christos (new)

Christos | 166 comments 8/12 with Howl and now Parable Sower

message 27: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 643 comments It counts/doesn't count: I started Parable of the Sower on 11/10/20 before it was announced and finished on 11/24/20 after it was announced.

message 28: by Christos (new)

Christos | 166 comments @leesa that counts yeah

message 29: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8498 comments Someone start a 2021 edition.

So far I’m 2 of 4:

The Marrow Thieves
The House in the Cerulean Sea