What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Humming Room
This topic is about The Humming Room
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Realistic fiction, It takes a lot of inspiration from the Secret Garden. Starts with a girl who has a troubled home life and loves cramped spaces like hiding under her trailer. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Glexic (new)

Glexic | 2 comments Spoiler warning I guess?

I read this book somewhere in the time frame of 2013-2015 but I'm not sure if that's anywhere near when it was published. This book is realistic fiction, it's definitely not YA since I'm fairly certain I read it in elementary school, but it's not exactly a children's book either. A young girl with inner conflict and sort of an attitude with authority likes hiding in cramped dark spaces like underneath her trailer. Very early on in the book she is sent to a wealthy family member's estate to live (I don't remember why). She gets a lot of new things like nice clothes. She finds out that there is a young boy living there (a child like her, not a romantic interest) that is bedridden and she goes down to visit him every so often. He is a very spoiled brat and she is stubborn so they originally do not get along, but slowly she makes him into a more tolerable person and she becomes more outgoing. Once specific detail I do remember is that the boy had a collection of various animal skeletons that he was proud of, and at one point in the book they got into an argument and she smashed all of them. I don't remember the title or author or very many other details, so I hope this is enough!

message 2: by Becca (last edited May 24, 2020 05:30AM) (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2688 comments The Humming Room by Ellen Potter?

message 3: by Glexic (new)

Glexic | 2 comments Yes! Thank you so much! That's been bugging me all week.

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2688 comments Glexic wrote: "Yes! Thank you so much! That's been bugging me all week."

You're welcome! Glad to help,