2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > shayna's 30 book attempt 2020

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by shay (last edited May 24, 2020 02:58AM) (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments quite late a start but i'm attempting to read 30 books. i've already jumped into it with 13 books... at least i think so.

(i'm not sure if tintin books count but i'll link them anyway)

the following are what i've read thus far, i hope i haven't missed any:

The Castafiore Emerald (Tintin, #21) by Hergé Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare The Blue Lotus (Tintin, #5) by Hergé Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin #4) by Hergé Artemis by Andy Weir Silence is Golden (Storm and Silence, #3) by Robert Thier Prey by Michael Crichton Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare The Black Island (Tintin, #7) by Hergé City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8) by Hergé

so that's all i have so far. i'm also planning on completing the following series:

1. Harry Potter (starting from book 6 'The Half-Blood Prince)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling
2. Percy Jackson and the Olympians (starting from book 1 'The Lightning Thief)
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan
3. Divergent (starting from book 2 'Insurgent')
Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth
4. Chaos Walking (starting from book 2 'The Ask and the Answer)
The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness
5. The Hunger Games (starting from book 2 'Catching Fire')
Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins
6. The Mortal Instruments (starting from book 2 'City of Ashes')
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare
7. The Dark Artifices (starting from book 1 'Lady Midnight')
Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1) by Cassandra Clare
8. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (starting from book 1 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo')
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson
9. MAYBE The Chronicles of Narnia (starting from book 2 'Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia')
Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2) by C.S. Lewis
10. MAYBE The Hobbit + Lord of the Rings (starting from 'The Hobbit' and then jumping to 'The Two Towers')
The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien
11. Ender's Game (starting from book 1 'Ender's Game')
Ender’s Game (Ender’s Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card
12. The Time Machine (starting from book 1 'The Time Machine)
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
13. MAYBE A Wrinkle in Time (starting from book 3 'A Swiftly Tilting Planet')
A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time Quintet, #3) by Madeleine L'Engle
14. THE ORIGINAL Dune series (starting from book 1 'Dune')
Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert
15. SOME Sherlock Holmes (starting from book 2 'The Sign of Four')
The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2) by Arthur Conan Doyle
16. RE-READING The Adventures of Tintin (all of them, starting from book 1 'Tintin in the Land of the Soviets')
The Adventures of Tintin, Volume 1 Tintin in the Land of the Soviets / Tintin in the Congo (Tintin, #1-2) by Hergé

will i finish all these? probably not, hopefully so.

follow me on my journey in becoming a more avid reader and an overall more knowledgeable person! :)

message 2: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i read The Odyssey (NOT The Iliad) for class. note that i didn't do an in-depth read, it was solely for classwork. quite difficult to read... but it's an epic so what more could i expect :)

The Iliad/The Odyssey by Homer

book 14/30

message 3: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished The Crab with the Golden Claws in this volume:
The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 3 The Crab With the Golden Claws / The Shooting Star / The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #9-11) by Hergé

review on my page. recommended for everyone !!

book 15/30

message 4: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished One of Us Is Lying this morning !!

One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1) by Karen M. McManus

it was really interesting, i wanna read the sequel, One of Us Is Next but i still have a long list of books to read so it'll be a while, maybe a few months at most.

recommended for those who enjoy a fast-paced amateur detective type read. also could be good for general YA readers.

review on my page soon!!

book 16/30

message 5: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished The Shooting Star in this volume:
The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 3 The Crab With the Golden Claws / The Shooting Star / The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #9-11) by Hergé

it got quite interesting at the end. no review in the foreseeable future, as it's just a quick read.

book 17/30

message 6: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished the last book, The Secret of the Unicorn, in this volume:

no review (and none for most/all of the future tintin books i'll read)

book 18/30

message 7: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished Eleanor & Park.
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

i loved this book. it made me cry so much
(review up on my page soon)
recommended for most; there's some language in there and i didn't quite like the ending.

book 19/30

message 8: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished Golden Son.
Golden Son (Red Rising Saga, #2) by Pierce Brown

a truly great read. extensive review on my page.
recommended for everyone who has read Red Rising, as well as everyone who likes sci-fi or dystopia (as long as you read Red Rising first). language warning.

book 20/30

message 9: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished Whistleblower.
Whistleblower by Kate Marchant

coming to stores this August, i believe. i read it on Wattpad (i don't recommend that app. wait for it to come out and buy it. i know, i sound hypocritical seeing as i've already read it on Wattpa- anyway...)

i really enjoyed this story and the truths behind it. the characters were funny, great, and- most importantly- real.

recommended to YA and romance readers. i don't normally read romance as my first choice, but it was more of a subplot to me in this book, anyway.

review on my page.

book 21/30

message 10: by shay (last edited Jun 10, 2020 11:15AM) (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished Red Rackham's Treasure in this volume:
The Adventures of Tintin Volume 5 Red Rackham's Treasure, The Seven Crystal Balls & Prisoners of the Sun by Hergé

it was a bit confusing, but i enjoyed it while i'm reading other books.

book 22/30

message 11: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i just finished And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

i have no words. except go read my review for the full scope of how great this book was!!

recommended for every mystery-lover or anyone who wants to get into mystery + thriller books.

book 23/30

message 12: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments i also finished The Seven Crystal Balls (in one sitting) in this volume:
The Adventures of Tintin Volume 5 Red Rackham's Treasure, The Seven Crystal Balls & Prisoners of the Sun by Hergé

a great prequel for Prisoners of the Sun. reading that next. no review.

recommended for those who want a short, entertaining read.

book 24/30

message 13: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments oh wow. i haven't posted a book for a while now.

oops.

anyway, i'm reading again, and i doubt it's too late to finish my goal.

i read Catching Fire. nice book. you can read my review here or go to my page.

would recommend to YA readers but tbh, most YA readers probably read this series as their first YA.

book 25/30

message 14: by shay (new)

shay (sheii) | 19 comments okay. so i binged this manga (manhwa?) series and idk if i should count it in my reading challenge (same thing with Tintin) because if i do then technically i'd be done with the challenge. so i'm gonna keep on reading even after this.

i read 황제의 외동딸 1 Hwangje-ui Oedongttal 1 , Daughter of the Emperor, Season 2, Daughter of the Emperor, Season 3, Daughter of the Emperor, Season 4, and Daughter of the Emperor, Season 5.

황제의 외동딸 1 Hwangje-ui Oedongttal 1 (Daughter of the Emperor, Season 1) by RINO Daughter of the Emperor, Season 2 by RINO Daughter of the Emperor, Season 3 by RINO Daughter of the Emperor, Season 4 by RINO Daughter of the Emperor, Season 5 by RINO

as with most comics/mangas/manhwas/manhuas/graphic novels, i have no review.

books 26-30/30