Aussie Readers discussion

Our Authors Spotlight > Searching for independent (self-published) Australian fantasy and sci-fi authors

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

Alexis K. | 15 comments Hi everyone,

My goal this year was to try and support indie (self-published) science-fiction and fantasy authors--the less well-known the better! I'm currently browsing the Science Fiction and Fantasy Group author promotions thread for suggestions. However, as I'm an Australian, I'd really prefer to support Aussies if at all possible.

So, can anyone (even authors themselves) recommend some independent Australian science-fiction authors they've read recently or in the past few years? It would greatly help ease my search. :)

P.S: I generally buy the paperback version because my eyes went a little strange when I read my Kindle constantly for a couple of years. So, PODs available in Japan are the more likely to be snatched up.

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 254 comments Not sure I'm allowed to toot my own horn here, so I won't, but I'll mention another guy I know named Adam David Collings who writes good sci-fi.

message 3: by K. (new)

Alexis K. | 15 comments Lynne wrote: "Not sure I'm allowed to toot my own horn here, so I won't, but I'll mention another guy I know named Adam David Collings who writes good sci-fi."

Thanks Lynne! Will check him out!

I know the rules of Aussie Readers (as a group) are pretty clear on self-promoting threads, but I was actually hoping some authors might let me know about their own works on this thread too. (Unless a mod says that's inappropriate.) :)

message 4: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 254 comments Brenda, is it appropriate for me to talk about this here?

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69442 comments Mod
I'll transfer this thread to the Author Spotlight section and then you can all go to your heart's content :) Thanks for checking Lynne :)

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited May 20, 2020 06:45PM) (new)

K. wrote: "Hi everyone,

My goal this year was to try and support indie (self-published) science-fiction and fantasy authors--the less well-known the better! I'm currently browsing the Science Fiction and Fa..."

You can edit your title on this thread if you wish K - let all authors know they can contribute if they wish :) Though it looks pretty clear as it is.

message 7: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3160 comments Hi K, I'm published by small press, so I hope that's OK?

Frontier Incursion by Leonie Rogers , Frontier Resistance by Leonie Rogers and Frontier Defiant by Leonie Rogers are my Scifi novels.

Amethyst Pledge (The Albatar Chronicles, #1) by Leonie Rogers is my new fantasy.

message 8: by Lynne (last edited May 21, 2020 01:39AM) (new)

Lynne Stringer | 254 comments Okay, I write science fiction. It's for a young adult audience and it has a bit of romance, so if you like that kind of thing, you can try my Verindon trilogy, consisting of The Heir, The Crown and The Reign.
The Heir (Verindon, #1) by Lynne Stringer The Crown (Verindon, #2) by Lynne Stringer The Reign (Verindon, #3) by Lynne Stringer

My latest book is The Verindon Alliance. It was released a the beginning of the month. It deals with characters mentioned in the trilogy, but it's set hundreds of years earlier. The Verindon Alliance by Lynne Stringer

You can find all my books on The Book Depository, which delivers worldwide. https://www.bookdepository.com/

Enjoy!

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Leonie wrote: "Hi K, I'm published by small press, so I hope that's OK?

Frontier Incursion by Leonie Rogers, Frontier Resistance by Leonie Rogers and Frontier Defiant by Leonie Rogers are my Scifi n..."

Loved EVERY one of these!

message 10: by K. (new)

Alexis K. | 15 comments Hi Brenda, Lynne and Leonie,

Firstly, thanks for moving the thread Brenda. Sorry, I didn't know where to place it originally and made a best guess.

Leonie,

Smell press is no worries. I'm mainly trying to avoid the big ones like Harper Collins, Penguin et al. (I assume they get all the help they need to be a success). :p

They sound good! I'll try to pick up Frontier Incursion on pay day!

Lynne,

I do like a good YA. I just read The Pearl Diver by S. Elliot Brandis and enjoyed that immensely.

I'm going to pick up The Heir (as above, on pay day) and give it a read. On Amazon.co.jp (as I live in Japan), it looks like it'll take a few weeks to ship here. So, hopefully, I can clear some of my TBR before it arrives :)

message 11: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 254 comments Yay! :-)

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 770 comments Try Georgina Makalani - she's Tasmanian and quite a prolific self-published author. Her books include: the Raven Crown series (Raven's Dawn, The Caged Raven and Raven's Edge) the Legend of Iski Flare series (7 books), the Magics of Rei-Een series (3 books) and The Mark of Oldra series (2 books).

message 13: by K. (new)

Alexis K. | 15 comments Sarah wrote: "Try Georgina Makalani - she's Tasmanian and quite a prolific self-published author. Her books include: the Raven Crown series (Raven's Dawn, [book:The Caged Raven|..."

Thanks for the suggestion Sarah!

I'll have a look through her (quite vast) catalogue over the weekend and see what catches the eye. :)

message 14: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

K. wrote: "Hi Brenda, Lynne and Leonie,

Firstly, thanks for moving the thread Brenda. Sorry, I didn't know where to place it originally and made a best guess...."

No problems at all :)

message 15: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 2249 comments I will vouch for Lynne's Veridon trilogy. I loved them all.

You might also like to try Archer Swift 's The Chronicles of Paradise trilogy. The first book is Eden, Dawn
and
Ashley Capes Bone Mask Cycle series. The first book is City of Masks. I haven't read this series of Ashley's but I have enjoyed his other books.

message 16: by K. (new)

Alexis K. | 15 comments Hi Veronica,

Sorry, I got caught up with my two-year-old son during the lockdown and couldn't make it back to Goodreads.

Thanks for the recommendations! I will check them out once my TBR pile has started to decrease a little. :)

Brenda wrote: "K. wrote: "Hi Brenda, Lynne and Leonie,

Firstly, thanks for moving the thread Brenda. Sorry, I didn't know where to place it originally and made a best guess...."

No problems at all :)"

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Brandyn (suzannebrandyn) | 64 comments Brenda wrote: "K. wrote: "Hi everyone,

My goal this year was to try and support indie (self-published) science-fiction and fantasy authors--the less well-known the better! I'm currently browsing the Science Fic..."

Suzanne Brandyn

Glass World

message 18: by K. (new)

Alexis K. | 15 comments Thanks Suzanne!

Will check it out soon! :)