The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 30.5 - Sally M's Task: Two of a Kind

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 18, 2020 11:30AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4931 comments Mod
30.5 - Sally M's Task: Two of a Kind

I’ve been plowing through books this year and have noticed two interesting trends emerge: a bevy of retellings, and a tendency to read two or three books within a few weeks of each other that explore similar themes or subjects. This task invites you to do the same!

This is a two book task. Choose one of the following options and read two books for that option. One of your books may have an MPG of Sequential Art, Comics, Manga, or Graphic Novel.

REQUIRED: Indicate the option you chose.

Option 1: Retellings
I’ve never been super into retellings, but I’ve read more of them so far this year than any previous years combined. Plus, because a few were book 1 in a series, I anticipate more to come!

For this task, read two books that are retellings of the SAME original story. The original story can come from any genre: fairytales, folklore, mythology, classics, etc.

For the purposes of this task, both books must be fictional retellings — it cannot be a work that merely discusses or analyzes the original story, nor can it be the original story.

REQUIRED: Indicate the original story for the two retellings.
Examples:
Beauty and the Beast retellings:
A Curse So Dark and Lonely
Of Curses and Kisses

King Arthur retellings:
Once & Future
Sword in the Stars

My original story was Pride and Prejudice. I read:
Ayesha at Last
Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors

These lists might give you some ideas, though you don’t have read something from one of these lists and they may not all be appropriate for the challenge or this task:
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
12 Young Adult Books that are Classic Lit Retellings
50 Must-Read Classical Mythology Retellings

Option 2: Companion Reads
Read two books that make for good companion reads by having one of these commonalities. REQUIRED: Specify the option you chose and explain the connection in your post.

A - Read 2 books from the same series

B - Read 2 books set within the same world - same MPG set in the same location and time period
Example: Illuminae and Aurora Rising are both set in space, within the same fictional universe

C - Read 2 books that explore the same subject (must be a more specific connection than just MPG or shared author)
Example: a NF book and a fiction book exploring infertility and reproductive health:
Ask Me About My Uterus: A Quest to Make Doctors Believe in Women's Pain is about women’s reproductive health
The Friend Zone features infertility and reproductive health as a central plot point

Example: 2 nonfiction books featuring the founding fathers and mothers:
Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation
You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington

Example: 2 YA romance novels both featuring a family curse:
Of Curses and Kisses
Don't Date Rosa Santos

message 2: by Sally (last edited May 18, 2020 02:55PM) (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments More resources for retellings (with the same disclaimers above):

The Little Mermaid Retellings
Popular Alice In Wonderland Retellings
Snow White Retellings
162 Young Adult Retellings (scroll past the charts for the lists)

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by TraceyL (new)

TraceyL | 959 comments Great task! I'd like some clarification on what the "same world" means for option 2B.

Can I just read two modern-day books set in the same city/state/country? Or do they need to have a connection through the author or the series, where a character from one book could theoretically show up in the other (like how many Stephen King books are set in the same fictional places and have the same side characters)?

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments If choosing the retelling option, does the book have to have an MPG of retellings?

Boy, Snow, Bird is a retelling of Snow White, but it doesn't have an MPG of retellings.

Thank you.

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Kim wrote: "If choosing the retelling option, does the book have to have an MPG of retellings?

Boy, Snow, Bird is a retelling of Snow White, but it doesn't have an MPG of retellings.

Thank you."

Nope, it doesn't need to have an MPG of Retellings.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments Sally wrote: "Kim wrote: "If choosing the retelling option, does the book have to have an MPG of retellings?

Boy, Snow, Bird is a retelling of Snow White, but it doesn't have an MPG of retellin..."

Thank you.

message 9: by Sally (last edited May 18, 2020 02:29PM) (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments TraceyL wrote: "Great task! I'd like some clarification on what the "same world" means for option 2B.

Can I just read two modern-day books set in the same city/state/country? Or do they need to have a connection..."

This is a great question and prompts me to keep thinking through how to make sure my meaning is clear while honoring the spirit of the task. I wanted things to be open enough to allow for some fun and interesting connections but never wanted it to be so open that the connection is, like, "these are two YA romance books I love" lol.

For 2B, I was originally thinking more the latter than the former but the former is okay, though the task does state that there's also a shared MPG. So even going with the former, it would need MPG + time period + location.

Gonna think on this some more and see if I need to add further restrictions, then talk to the mods and let you know if/how anything changes!

message 10: by TraceyL (new)

TraceyL | 959 comments Sally wrote: "TraceyL wrote: "Great task! I'd like some clarification on what the "same world" means for option 2B.

Can I just read two modern-day books set in the same city/state/country? Or do they need to h..."

Thanks for the details, Sally! I do love the idea of seeking out two books that share a lot in common and comparing them.

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 502 comments Would The Silence of the Girls and The Song of Achilles work for option 1? Both are retellings of the Troyan war (The Illiad)

message 12: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Paula wrote: "Would The Silence of the Girls and The Song of Achilles work for option 1? Both are retellings of the Troyan war (The Illiad)"

Yep, that sounds like a great pairing!

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Would two books about education be two of a kind enough or would they have to have a further connection such as two books on literacy in the classroom? Or is that also not enough. Trying to fit in my professional reading but I understand if this might not be the task!

message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Nicole wrote: "Would two books about education be two of a kind enough or would they have to have a further connection such as two books on literacy in the classroom? Or is that also not enough. Trying to fit in ..."

It's hard to say without knowing the exact books, but it sounds like it would be alright. "The education system" is no less a connection than "literacy in the classroom."

message 15: by Nicole (last edited May 19, 2020 09:06AM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Sally wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Would two books about education be two of a kind enough or would they have to have a further connection such as two books on literacy in the classroom? Or is that also not enough. Tr..." Is it enough of a connection? The books would be:
The Artful Read-Aloud: 10 Principles to Inspire, Engage, and Transform Learning
and
Read the World: Rethinking Literacy for Empathy and Action in a Digital Age

Both are talking about how to use reading to engage, inspire action, and change your classroom!

message 16: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Nicole wrote: "Sally wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Would two books about education be two of a kind enough or would they have to have a further connection such as two books on literacy in the classroom? Or is that also ..."

First of all, these sound GREAT! And yes, it seems to me that they're connected. Enjoy!

message 17: by Aprilleigh (last edited May 19, 2020 11:41AM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1172 comments Would two books in two different series by two different authors that each feature a different female homicide detective in San Francisco be enough of a connection?

Examples (I've already read these particular volumes, but it would be one of the unread volumes in each series):
Murder on Potrero Hill (Peyton Brooks Mystery #1)
1st to Die (Women's Murder Club #1)

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "Would two books in two different series by two different authors that each feature a different female homicide detective in San Francisco be enough of a connection?

Examples (I've already read the..."

That totally works!

message 19: by ♞ Pat (last edited May 25, 2020 05:59AM) (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 688 comments Can I just read two modern-day books set in the same city/state/country? Or do they need to have a connection..."

Sally wrote: This is a great question and prompts me to keep thinking through how to make sure my meaning is clear while honoring the spirit of the task. I wanted things to be open enough to allow for some fun and interesting connections but never wanted it to be so open that the connection is, like, "these are two YA romance books I love" lol.

For 2B, I was originally thinking more the latter than the former but the former is okay, though the task does state that there's also a shared MPG. So even going with the former, it would need MPG + time period + location...."

So just to clarify a little further ---

I would like to pair
Book A ~ A Fire Sparkling by Julianne MacLean A Fire Sparkling by Julianne MacLean
with
Book B ~ The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer

Both are World War 2 historical fiction, Book A located in England and Book B in Poland. Both are split narratives, with their stories "discovered" by someone living in present day (from the blurbs it looks like it's probably a relative). Both of the historical characters appear to be women, but obviously their experiences will be different as one lives in Occupied Poland and the other in bomb ravaged London. Both are dealing with the stress and complications of having their husbands "missing" either gone to fight with the resistance, or off to fight against the Nazis, or possibly in a POW camp.

Is that enough of a comparison to be companions, or do they need to be located in the same actual PLACE - both in Poland or both in England? I suppose technically they're both in Europe....

message 20: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1145 comments For option two do these work?
Fiercombe Manor
The House by the Sea

Both gothic books dealing with a haunted house

message 21: by Sally (last edited May 25, 2020 07:38AM) (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments ♞ Pat wrote: "Can I just read two modern-day books set in the same city/state/country? Or do they need to have a connection..."

Sally wrote: This is a great question and prompts me to keep thinking through how ..."

There are so many similarities here that it feels silly to say no. I'll allow it for 2B because they're both in WWII Europe.

You could also use it for 2C if there is a core subject matter they both explore. For instance, if you read them and it turns out that dealing with the missing spouse is the central plot point or something like that.

message 22: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Kaora wrote: "For option two do these work?
Fiercombe Manor
The House by the Sea

Both gothic books dealing with a haunted house"

This works, as it seems they also both have a woman as the central character being impacted by the haunted house.

message 23: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 688 comments Sally wrote: "There are so many similarities here that it feels silly to say no. I'll allow it for 2B because they're both in WWII Europe.

You could also use it for 2C if there is a core subject matter they both explore. For instance, if you read them and it turns out that dealing with the missing spouse is the central plot point or something like that..."

Thanks, Sally. I thought I had a good pair, but wanted to double check after the "same place" post #9. I'm excited about both these books!

message 24: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Would these work for 2b as both are centered around Mr. Darcy?
An Assembly Such as This and Pride and Prescience: Or, A Truth Universally Acknowledged

Thanks!

message 25: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments KSMary wrote: "Would these work for 2b as both are centered around Mr. Darcy?
An Assembly Such as This and Pride and Prescience: Or, A Truth Universally Acknowledged

Thanks!"

Hmmmm this combo feels off because it doesn't seem like the second book you listed really centers around Mr. Darcy, at least not based on the description. He is clearly a character in the story, but it seems to center around the mystery and both Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam and also maybe their wedding guest (presumably - I've not read this book). I suppose if you have read it or when you read it, assuming it really does center around him and you make that clear, then that works. Otherwise, it might be better to find another match, or you could read another book in either series.

message 26: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Sally wrote: "KSMary wrote: "Would these work for 2b as both are centered around Mr. Darcy?

Th..."

OK. Thanks! I'll plan on reading two from the same series. I had a hard time wrapping my head around this one for some reason. :)

message 27: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2571 comments I want to continue the Anne of Green Gables series with
Anne of the Island and Anne of Windy Poplars neither are showing "children's" at the moment can I have that confirmed before reading them or do i need to hope it doesn't show up on the day thanks

message 28: by SRC Moderator (new)

Marie (UK) wrote: "I want to continue the Anne of Green Gables series with
Anne of the Island and Anne of Windy Poplars neither are showing "children's" at the moment can I have that confir..."

The lack of a childrens genre cannot be locked in, by the mods or the task creators.

message 29: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2571 comments SRC Moderator wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "I want to continue the Anne of Green Gables series with
Anne of the Island and Anne of Windy Poplars neither are showing "children's" at the moment can..."

thanks I wasn't sure

message 30: by Iulia (new)

Iulia (iuliadt) | 144 comments Would these 2 books work for 2C?
The Women's Health Big Book of Pilates: The Essential Guide to Total Body Fitness and The Women's Health Big Book of Abs: Sculpt a Lean, Sexy Stomach in Just 4 Weeks!

They are both non-fiction, sports, treating the topic of workouts at home.
Thank you!

message 31: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Iulia wrote: "Would these 2 books work for 2C?
The Women's Health Big Book of Pilates: The Essential Guide to Total Body Fitness and [book:The Women's Health Big Book of Abs: Sculpt a Lean, Sexy ..."

Seems like a good match to me!

message 32: by Trish (last edited Jun 15, 2020 05:54AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2541 comments Just wondering if these two work togther:
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
Troublesome Words

I know both being by Bill Bryson doesn't work, but they do both discuss the same subject, i.e. the English Language, so I wondered if that was enough of a link.

Thanks.

message 33: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Trish wrote: "Just wondering if these two work togther:
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
Troublesome Words

I know both being by Bill Bryson doesn't work, but t..."

That'll work!

message 34: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2541 comments Thank you!

message 35: by Iulia (new)

Iulia (iuliadt) | 144 comments Sally wrote: "Iulia wrote: "Would these 2 books work for 2C?
The Women's Health Big Book of Pilates: The Essential Guide to Total Body Fitness and [book:The Women's Health Big Book of Abs: Sculpt..."

Thank you!

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly29) | 173 comments Hello! This is such a fun task. For Option 2C, I would like to propose:
Another Brooklyn
The Vanishing Half

Both are historical fiction novels, with dual timelines (past and present), that explore Black girlhood in the US. Is this sufficient to meet the requirements?

Thank you!

message 37: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Kelly wrote: "Hello! This is such a fun task. For Option 2C, I would like to propose:
Another Brooklyn
The Vanishing Half

Both are historical fiction novels, with dual timelines ..."

Works for me! And seems like a great pairing.

message 38: by Alex (last edited Jun 28, 2020 06:57PM) (new)

Alex | 226 comments Do the two books in the same series need to be whole number books?

Can I use Cress and Fairest by Marissa Meyer (book 3 and book 3.5 in the Lunar Chronicles)

message 39: by Sally (last edited Jul 01, 2020 10:24AM) (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Alex wrote: "Do the two books in the same series need to be whole number books?

Can I use Cress and Fairest by Marissa Meyer (book 3 and book 3.5 in the Lunar ..."

Nope! This pairing totally works. (Hope you enjoy Fairest! It's my favorite of that series.)

message 40: by Alex (new)

Alex | 226 comments Sally wrote: "Alex wrote: "Do the two books in the same series need to be whole number books?

Can I use Cress and Fairest by Marissa Meyer (book 3 and book 3.5 ..."

Great! Thanks!!
Just finished Fairest yesterday. I really enjoyed it as well! Loved getting to see Levana's backstory!

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 952 comments Kathy KS

Just verifying that these books will work for Option 2C (subject)

How to Drag a Body and Other Safety Tips You Hope to Never Need
An Unladylike Profession: American Women War Correspondents in World War I

Women war correspondents
The first book is by a woman war correspondent and includes many tales from her career as examples.
The second is about women war correspondents during World War I

message 42: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments For Option 2-A the books have to be from the same series but the series does not have to be retelling or fairy tale genre, am I correct?

I would like to use these books:

The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle
The Chocolate Mouse Trap

message 43: by Mel (new)

Mel | 57 comments Thoughts on the following pairing for 2C: My Best Friend's Exorcism and We Ride Upon Sticks?

Both are set in high school in the late 1980s and have paranormal themes (one focuses on demons, one on witches).

message 44: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Kathy wrote: "Kathy KS

[book:An Unladylike Profession: American..."

Whoa! What a cool combo! Seems to me like this works.

message 45: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Wanda wrote: "For Option 2-A the books have to be from the same series but the series does not have to be retelling or fairy tale genre, am I correct?

I would like to use these books:

[book:The Chocolate Puppy..."

That's correct, the retelling aspect only applies to Option 1. Enjoy!

message 46: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Mel wrote: "Thoughts on the following pairing for 2C: My Best Friend's Exorcism and We Ride Upon Sticks?

Both are set in high school in the late 1980s and have paranormal theme..."

Another cool combo! This works for me.

message 47: by Mel (new)

Mel | 57 comments Sally wrote: "Mel wrote: "Thoughts on the following pairing for 2C: My Best Friend's Exorcism and We Ride Upon Sticks?

Both are set in high school in the late 1980s and have para..."

Awesome, thanks!

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 952 comments I'm enjoying the first one already!

Thanks.

Sally wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Kathy KS

[book:An Unladylike Profes..."

message 49: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2133 comments I am looking at The Bartered Brides and European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman and I feel that they certainly fit the feel of this task. They are both fantasy historical mysteries, they both have female main characters and they both feature Sherlock Holmes as a minor character. Would this be enough for 2B or would the fact that The Bartered Brides is set entirely in London and European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman encompasses more of Europe make them ineligible?

message 50: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Coralie wrote: "I am looking at The Bartered Brides and European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman and I feel that they certainly fit the feel of this task. They are both fantasy..."

London is in Europe, so it seems to me this still works for a shared setting of simply "Europe."

« previous 1